What type of mom are you?

Options
brendas026
brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
Im talking about meals: Are you the type that asks your kids what they want to eat and make it or
like me, the type that makes my choice of meal and they have to eat it because this is not a restaurant.
although i let them pick whatever they want once a week, I knew a person that had 2 kids and she would make 2 different meals three times a day, everyday! thats exhausting.

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I decide what's for dinner. I'll give them options for breakfast, though.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My kids are grown now, but I was raised (and so were they) if you don't like what was made for dinner, go hungry. I never had the time, money, or inclination to make multiple meals for my kids. I guess I am just mean that way.
    Although I was never mean and made things I knew they would hate (liver and onions, one of my fave things) unless I knew they were going to be gone.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I will usually make what I want and adjust it to suit them as well. For example last night I made fish, roasted sweet potatos and a veggie medley. For the rest of the family I made fish, white potatos and corn. I guess it was an additional pot for the corn. There are days when I know that my kids won't eat what I'm fixing so that is the nights I give them chicken nuggets but thats rare I just try and fix food that are good for me and yummy for them it's not going to hurt them to tr new things, I have been very suprised at their reactions I have had only one meal tank! Now that not to say they don't eat dinner then go get an ice cream but at least dinner was healthy!!
  • runningmom27
    Options
    I have a 3 yo and an 11month old....I make what i feel like having and they eat it, obviously there are some things i still cant put in the babies mouth, but other than that, i dont run a restaurant. It has been like that since day one and it is great...on saturday i asked my 3yo what he wanted for dinner, his answer-sushi. Okay! Good enough:)
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I usually almost always decide what we are going to have. I'll give him the choice of what vegetable he wants and let him pick what to eat around once a week. If he doesn't like it then he isn't hungry! I rarely have that problem because he isn't picky because he knows better!!! :happy:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My kids are 20 and 17 now, but I have to say I totally missed the boat on this one earlier on when they were little, and there's no steering it back. We eat absolutely no family meals together, except for 3 holidays every year. Everyone wants what they want, when they want it. I credit that to catering to their wishes when they were younger.

Some of that arose from personal doubt. I thought letting them respond to their own hunger, and desires (within reason) would be better than me--a portion-distorted mom--calling all the shots for them.

This approach yielded mixed results--a son who is fit and slim, who moderates his eating without difficulty and doesn't even weigh himself. And, a daughter, who struggles with extra weight (but, not as bad as I am).
  • gemgirlred
    gemgirlred Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I decide what's for dinner. I'll give them options for breakfast, though.

I'm the same. I do put a few fruit or veggies out for my 21month old but not until he has at least tried dinner.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    I decide what she eats.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    It is just my 10 year old daughter and me at home so she helps decide the meal planning. She is pretty sensible and knows what I am willing to cook.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I decide what's for meals. I generally try not to fix things I know they absolutely hate, but I'm not a short-order cook. Once a week, I'll give them a couple of choices, say on a night I don't feel like "cooking." I also have the "you must try it before not liking it" rule (and they've discovered they like lots of things they didn't think they'd like), and we have an age/number of bites rule for things they'll eat but don't particularly like which is generally a vegetable or pasta or potato issue (green beans/potatoes/etc).

ETA...my boys are 5 and my daughter is 3.5...if you don't eat it, then I don't fix anything else.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Most of the time me or my husband decides.. though sometimes we asked which they prefer. "Would guys like carrots and broccoli with your chicken.. or beans and fruit salad?" Getting them in on the process gets them a little more excited about what we are having. Plus, if I let the boys pick out the veggies and the fruit they want that week at the grocery store, they are more inclined to eat them.

*ETA, the other day I did make a mainly green meal because they had been playing incredible hulk all day... so we had *limited edition* so I said.. incredible hulk spinach noodles to go go along with their alfredo sauce, chicken and broccoli. If it brings excitment about healthy foods, I'm all for it.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I was the mom who made one meal for my family and if they ate it, fine. If not they were hungry.

Of course I had no problem making an entirely separate meal for myself. :blushing: I'm veg and they are omni so....ya.
  • laurin2010
    Options
    I decide because if it was up to him it would be junk. I give him options; do you want A or B, he can choose from that; that way he still has some sense of control. Don't get me wrong mama is a sugar queen so we do splurdge the good stuff every now and then! I try to cook all meals because I feel I need to instill healthy eating habbits now or I will struggle with getting him to eat proper nutrition he needs as my growing little boY! --i know all kids will be picky eaters but i do try to get him to eat healthy!
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I almost always let him have a say, he's 3 and usually helping me in the kitchen anyways. I have no problem making multiple meals though, I grew up incredibly picky and understand not always liking what everyone else wants. My son usually picks healthy choices though yesterday he asked for quinoa, salmon and carrots for lunch. He gets himself breakfast when he gets up, we make lunch and dinner together.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I try to get my kids involved with the meals. Yes, I decide, but I ask what they might like with the main course or if I have a couple options I'll let them choose. My kids are old enough now that for breakfast and lunch they are pretty much on their own (most the time), but at supper it is ultimately my decision. I will usually give them some options though and let them be included in the process. And of course from time to time they do get to choose the meal. Before I go shopping for the week I will ask everyone what 1 meal do they really want. I don't spoil my kids, but I want them to feel like they have choices and that what they want is important to me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My kid prefers fresh fruit & veggies over McDonalds, so when I let him grab whatever he wants, I never have to worry.

That being said, I make dinner for the two of us... If it's clearly something very adult that he wouldn't like (I like to cook fancy), I will make him something more simple. You can easily prepare two chicken breasts two different ways :)

Give & Take.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I had five children at home at one time. If they did not like the meal served; they were free to make something else. Guess what, all are much better cooks and bakers than their mom is.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    She eats whatever I feel like having for supper that day.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i am the masculine kind?

i have a 20 month old, and (being a first time parent) I do find myself occasionally making multiple things just so he eats. I try not to, but if i know he hasn't eaten well for breakfast or lunch, or both - i think it's important that he eat. i do plan on stopping that when "making" something else is more than getting a yogurt instead of apple sauce or cutting up a different piece of fruit.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    for breakfast and lunch, they can eat what they choose, usually. Today I decided on mac and cheese because one box is too much for one kid, so they both have to eat that. But for dinner, it's one meal and that's that!!
    Breakfast is usually cereal or pb&j, so that's not hard. Lunch they choose between fish sticks, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, sandwich, grilled cheese.... none of those are difficult or time consuming to make.
    ETA: there are mealtimes. they do not get to eat whenever, I tell them it's lunchtime, if you don't eat now, you have to wait until dinner.