The Coolest Place ever...

Options
My hubby and I just came back from the best Vacation ever....Italy. :heart: It was so great...

Anybody else been somewhere really neat?

Replies

• opatt23
    opatt23 Posts: 90
    Options
    My hubby and I just came back from the best Vacation ever....Italy. :heart: It was so great...

Anybody else been somewhere really neat?
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I loved Italy myself! I haven't been since 98, but would LOVE to go back. My friend and I did Rome, Florence, Venice and Pisa in 8 days! It was AMAZING. I love history so my jaw was to the ground everywhere I went.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I loved Italy myself! I haven't been since 98, but would LOVE to go back. My friend and I did Rome, Florence, Venice and Pisa in 8 days! It was AMAZING. I love history so my jaw was to the ground everywhere I went.

This is exactly why I would love to go. I love ancient Roman history, and would love to see the ancient cradle of civilization. Hopefully I can see it someday.

Welcome back Opatt, glad you had a great time. :happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    We'll be going for our 10th anniversary which will be in 3 years.
    CANNOT WAIT!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    We have friends stationed over there till 2010, so we are trying to get the money to go over there to see them! Never been overseas before! Went to Hawaii, but that doesn't really count. :laugh:
  • opatt23
    opatt23 Posts: 90
    Options

This is exactly why I would love to go. I love ancient Roman history, and would love to see the ancient cradle of civilization. Hopefully I can see it someday.

Thanks! :smile: We really did have a great time and I definitely recommend it...the Vatican is amazing and the Sistine Chapel..incredible. We did Rome, Assisi, Santa Maria, Florence, Pisa and Sienna in eight days..
    Funny thing though...the pope came to DC the same time we were in Rome!! :laugh:
  • TamTastic
    Options

Jeremy, if you can, get over there!! I will never forget seeing The Colliseum and the Roman Forum. The cool thing about Rome is there is a good subway system. It looked like on the map you take a subway, walk a few blocks to get to the colliseum and forum..but when we walked out of the subway, the colliseum was right there in front of us. I kind of sputtered and was like "wh...wh.....is...thatt...omg!!"
    Hehehehehe!

I hate what the Colliseum was about, but the structure and age of it is truly a sight to see!
  • TamTastic
    Options

Thanks! :smile: We really did have a great time and I definitely recommend it...the Vatican is amazing and the Sistine Chapel..incredible. We did Rome, Assisi, Santa Maria, Florence, Pisa and Sienna in eight days..
    Funny thing though...the pope came to DC the same time we were in Rome!! :laugh:

YES! I loved The Vatican and Sistine Chapel. It is SO peaceful in there!! I actually went to a mass with my friend who is catholic there. Did you walk up to the top of the basilica??

Wow, the pope was "on holiday" when I was there in 98!! Of course that was Pope John Paul II.
  • sgtinvincible
    Options

Jeremy, if you can, get over there!! I will never forget seeing The Colliseum and the Roman Forum. The cool thing about Rome is there is a good subway system. It looked like on the map you take a subway, walk a few blocks to get to the colliseum and forum..but when we walked out of the subway, the colliseum was right there in front of us. I kind of sputtered and was like "wh...wh.....is...thatt...omg!!"
    Hehehehehe!

I hate what the Colliseum was about, but the structure and age of it is truly a sight to see!

I totally mean to, I am a pretty serious student of the time, so I want to see it up close and personal. I agree with your comment about the Colliseum and its 'uses' but really most of Imperial Rome was rather despicable. It's still fascinating though, to know that those people were human beings just like us, and the things they were able to accomplish is amazing. Our entire western culture is derived from Hellenic/Roman science and philosophy mixed with judeo-christian values. We are their decendents in far more than just a genetic way, religiously, socially, and even according to some experts, psychologically. Absolutely fascinating. :wink:
  • knitgirl
    knitgirl Posts: 27
    Options
    We went to Kona, Hawaii in January -- that is where my turtle pics are from -- we took them snorkeling. AWESOME. I'd love to go to Italy ...someday.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    We were stationed in Micronesia (google Truk) for awhile on Pohnpei and then moved over to Truk. It was incredible. Very primitive, like Hawaii 200 years ago. 250 feet visibility in the ocean, pristine reefs. Was a little hairy swimming with sharks all the time, but we got used to them; I don't think we ever went in the water when we didn't have sharks swim past us.

The locals would take their outriggers fishing and would come back with one or two yellowfin tunas, and we would buy it fresh cut from them at the dock (if you could call it a dock.)

We then lived in Spain, but that's another story that I could go on forever about.....
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Hubby and I went to Crete and Athens for my 30th birthday. First time we had gone anywhere by ourselves since we had kids so that in itself was amazing. Crete was beautiful and relaxing and the food was amazing. We had a car there so we were able to ride around, go exploring,etc. John had been there twice before for work so he was quite familiar with all the best spots. Loved the beaches and all the olive and citrus trees. We didn't have transportation in Athens, but didn't really need it - just walked everywhere. We are both big history nuts and both took classical Greek in college so needless to say we had a great time - so much Greek history there. Definitely an unforgettable trip.
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    Hubby and I went to Crete and Athens for my 30th birthday. First time we had gone anywhere by ourselves since we had kids so that in itself was amazing. Crete was beautiful and relaxing and the food was amazing. We had a car there so we were able to ride around, go exploring,etc. John had been there twice before for work so he was quite familiar with all the best spots. Loved the beaches and all the olive and citrus trees. We didn't have transportation in Athens, but didn't really need it - just walked everywhere. We are both big history nuts and both took classical Greek in college so needless to say we had a great time - so much Greek history there. Definitely an unforgettable trip.

Greek history you say, in *GREECE*!?!?! Surely you jest!!!:wink::laugh:

(Just playin, you knowz I loves ya!)
  • TamTastic
    Options

You're on a roll today huh???? :huh: :laugh:
  • sgtinvincible
    Options

:tongue: :wink:
  • 5KNohno
    Options

Duh :noway:
    You know when I tell my friends that having kids kills brain cells I am serious and when I call the whiteboard in my kitchen "my brain" that is no joke.:smile:
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I for one LOVE Prague- it has so much character, and is just gorgeous. Plus there's that cool bridge from the first Mission Impossible movie where the guy pretends to stab himself! If that's not culture, I don't know what is! :laugh:

Have to agree that I REALLY want to see Greece and Rome. I did Classical Studies (ancient Greek and Roman literature, religion, history, and philosophy) as my minor at uni and can't wait till the day when I can go see it all in person!
  • 5KNohno
    Options
    I for one LOVE Prague- it has so much character, and is just gorgeous.

My kids loved the cow statues that are everywhere.:smile:
  • TamTastic
    Options

You know when I tell my friends that having kids kills brain cells I am serious and when I call the whiteboard in my kitchen "my brain" that is no joke.:smile:

I call it "Momnesia!!" LOL! I have it too!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I call it "Momnesia!!" LOL! I have it too!!
    Yuh... I get that too.
    I even mix up their names or even completely forget their names :indifferent:

~Joanna:flowerforyou: