2»

Replies

• mrsevanrust
    Options
    preach on!
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm all for the first amendment. And I agree that the guy is entitled to speak his opinion, as a person.

But as the employer of hundreds of gays across the country, he wasn't entitled to say what he said.

Just like my boss has every right to think muslims are crazy, but the second she says that, as my boss, it becomes inappropriate and a human resources nightmare.

You aren't supporting the first amendment, you're supporting biggotry.

This /\ Its just bigotry
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    He certainly has a right to speak his mind, and I have a right to disagree with him and eat elsewhere.
    Thank you
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    They have a right to their opinion, but not to publicly admit to funding hate groups. Which he did. And they were business funds. Which is wrong.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    YOU GO! I know what we are having for dinner tonight!

Thanks!!!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I support marriage of all kinds and that isn't going to stop me from eating at my favorite fast food place, Chick-fil-A. It's about the ONLY fast food I eat anymore. It's rare that I go anywhere else because Chick-fil-A gets a higher nutrition rating than most fast food places =) ... I wish we were closer to one so I could have ate there today!
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of their politics but I love that they have healthy food choices for me and my kids. Give me that any day over Mickey D's.

That being said....order a #5, 12 pieces, grilled, side salad, raspberry vinaigrette. Add an extra 4 count grilled and it is 425 calories.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You are terribly misinformed. No one is saying that he doesn't have the consitutional right to express himself, people are saying that your speech comes with consequences, just like your speech does and so does mine. I am constitutionally allowed to tell my boss to go f himself, but I would get fired. That is why people are boycotting, not because people don't have the right to free speech, but because they disagree with the content of what he states.

In addition, it is not only the speech people that people have a problem with, they have a problem that the company actively supports legislation, not only for "traditional marriage", but for things like stopping muders of gay men in Uganda. I am all for free speech, but it's my choice not to support chick-fil-a and the ACTIONS they have taken. They will be on the wrong side of history.

With that said, I think city boycots are ridiculous.

I am not concerned with any individual who doesn't want to patronize Chick-fil-a, that is their right. I am however concerned that the mayor of Chicago is not allowing Chick-fil-a any new business licenses because of their beliefs. That is clearly wrong.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want them to tell me I can't have a business because I am a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Atheist, white, black, yellow, red, or any other non business motivated reason.

You are missing the point.

It would be like a business coming in that supported the banning of Muslims or Christians, Jews, Athiests, whites, blacks, yellow, reds.

There is no room in society today for the bigoted views that Chick fil a has expressed.

But it's a free country. You are free to spend your money where you want to.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So right! And so agree! Its not like they are anti whatever they just have their own believe. Too many people associate a person having a belief with hatred towards the opposite. Hatred is banning a group because of their belief. The restaurant didn’t ban a group! Just because I am not for same sex marriage doesn’t mean I hate those who are gay! Have a couple of friends who are. Its up to them not me to make their own choices! Its their walk with God if they so choose to have one. Who am I to say just because I don’t believe in it myself. I am not God. Sheesh!
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    For 6 months I have not had any fast food. Not a burger, not a fry, not a single slice of pizza. I am sending my hubby to Chick-fil-a tonight, not because my will power has failed but because I value the first amendment. I know this may make me rather unpopular with some of you. I don't really care about the religious beliefs of the owner of the company but I do very much care when a city official admits to banning a business because its owner doesn't believe the same way he does. The owner of Chick-fil-a has a right to his opinion and the right to express it and the government does not have the right to punish him for it. I wouldn't want them to tell me I can't have a business because I am a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Atheist, white, black, yellow, red, or any other non business motivated reason. I'm having the Char grilled chicken garden salad for 180 calories..... I am just glad I am not having to stand up for McDonalds, because Chick-fil-a salads are much tastier.

100% Agree. Might make the 30 minute drive tonight to have Chick-Fil-A myself! :) Or wait until tomorrow when I'm in that town to pick up my hubby at the airport!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    He has every right to believe what he wants.
    HOWEVER if you are going to be outspoken about what you believe you have to realize that not everyone will agree.
    And by releasing a public statement, he HAD to know there would be backlash.

Just as he has the right to believe that marriage is only between a man and a woman (a view I don't agree with) the Mayor of Boston also has the right to choose not to support his business.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the first amendment. And I agree that the guy is entitled to speak his opinion, as a person.

But as the employer of hundreds of gays across the country, he wasn't entitled to say what he said.

Just like my boss has every right to think muslims are crazy, but the second she says that, as my boss, it becomes inappropriate and a human resources nightmare.

I don't know if eating something actually supports anything other than the restaurant owners/shareholders wallets, but supporting a bigots right to speak their mind is absolutely not the same as supporting what they say.

Human resources can worry about the business end of it, though I doubt they'd have much to do. It's not as if he threatened to fire or not hire gays or his remark had anything at all to do with the workplace. Unless I've missed some new law being passed, bosses have no say in who their employees marry.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Exactly.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Chick-Fil-A is a big corporate bully. I mean, eat wherever you want to eat. I don't really care what people put on their plates. But you should know that it is just another megacorporation where people mean nothing to them, only the bottom line.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/06/143195033/chicken-vs-kale-vt-artist-fights-chick-fil-a-suit
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a business owner, I'm not entitled to have opinions about politics, religion, orientation, etc. Every one's money is good in my store. As a person...in my own home...I think people are people. We all see things differently. I was told by one of my professors that I'm so open minded that all of my brains fell out because I wasn't conforming to his way of thinking. So eat at Chik fil a, hate the owner, love the owner...whatever. Just be the very best person YOU can be. The rest will sort itself out. Enjoy your salad!
  • lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

big·ot·ry   /ˈbɪgətri/ Show Spelled[big-uh-tree] Show IPA
    noun, plural big·ot·ries.
    1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
    2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.

in·tol·er·ance   /ɪnˈtɒlərəns/ Show Spelled[in-tol-er-uhns] Show IPA
    noun
    1. lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.

I think you have it wrong. He simply came out and said he believes in traditional marriage. He made no attempt to ban any homosexuals from eating there. The fine folks in Boston however, DID try to deploy a very bigoted response. By trying to ban Chick fil a from building any more stores they absolutely showed their intolerance of one's belief that differed from their own.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.