Bored of C25K and never get anywhere! Am I the only 1?

Options

Replies

• icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Do you like running?

Do you like running long or short, fast or slow? Do you like running on the treadmill or outside?

It's completely okay to choose your own program and do what works for you. Maybe you like a program like C25K, maybe you like to just free run, or maybe you like to make a detailed plan.

Work the way that you like to. There's no rule that says a beginner must start with C25K and cannot be a "real" runner until they "graduate". If you like HIIT, go for it! If you preferred running long to running fast, you could do that.

If you're trying to hit a particular pace (either faster or slower), you might want to try using a podcast or app with a metronome (like iSmoothRun).

But don't worry if you are doing your own program. There's nothing wrong with training yourself under your own plan.

Thanks for that! I love to run and I am going for distance, just by a different route I guess! Because I am indoors a metronome wouldn't benefit me but I will keep it in mind when (hopefully) I do hit the roads! I quite like C25K I just need to push past the plateau! When you plateau in you r diet a change up is the best way to blast through so I put that logic and an idea of what I need to change into my little plan! I just hope it works!! I wouldl ike to be running 5k by Christmas! That would be a great present!
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just my $.02

I am on week 8 day 2 of c25k. i run outside (in 80-90 degree humid heat) and my HR gets to about 190-195 when I'm running. Right now I'm jogging 28 minutes straight, and my pace is about 11:50/mile. I didn't start from scratch, I've been running 1 mile to 1.5 miles a few times a week for the past like 4 months, but in June I started the c25k (knowing that I could run more than it was asking me).

When I run on the treadmill--which isn't often because it bores the crap outta me--I start at 4.5 mph. And it wears.me.out. It wears me out because it is a constant pace. You have to keep the exact same pace the entire time. Which isn't how my body works. When I'm running outside sometimes my pace is a 7 minute mile and sometimes it's a 13 minute mile. I found that's better than HIIT, because it's almost HIIT inside my jogging training. When I'm going faster (or uphill!) my heartrate increases. Then I slow my pace a little to compensate and let me HR level out a little.

Kudos to you for trying to get past week 5, however you want to do it. Just some thoughts from an almost c25k graduate. Who's starting a 10k training next week. outside. in the burning august heat. :)

best of luck!

You are so lucky to have heat!! I hope you do really well with B210K!! I wish I could run outside but for many reasons I just can't at the moment! Keep up the good work you!!! :)

eeeek. lucky to have heat? definitely not. Heat+humidity=no way to cool off during my run. i was able to run on an indoor track during week 4 of the c25k and my HR was about 20 bpm slower than when i run outside. heat takes a toll on your body. heat+humidity+hills=not a happy runner (for me at least, maybe some people are into that). but I know that if i push through this horribleness then when it cools off in the fall i will enjoy running farther and longer much more in nice cool weather.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

One mans jog is another mans run. 9kph is not fast. It is jogging speed.

I am on w8 of C25k. I was not a runner before this. I have done multiple 5k races where I walked, walk/run, and am prepping for a full run in Sept.

9k per hour sounds crazy fast to me, as someone who is not a runner. The 5k races I have done have taken me about 48-53 mins, so almost an hour. 9k in that time is almost twice as fast.

I have had success continuously doing C25k and moving forward with it. I go my speed, which might be not much more than a fast walk.

I say slow down. Pace yourself.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    each time I try week 5 I can't do the intervals and I don't get any better
    - can you expand on this. I've just finished week 4 and the 5 minute run intervals are a push, sometimes I have to walk for a few steps. My heart rate is generally around 90% of max / 158 which is an improvement from the 170+ when I started. My pace today was in the 10m35 : 10m50 area for the runs.

What gives in week 5 - the run interval duration exceeds your limit ?

Could you also explain your HIIT thing a bit - what speed would you do the walks and runs in the intervals.

I sure can explain that better!! Its the 8-10min runs with only 3 min rest! My HR just does not get any lower in that time! That is what the HIIT is for! I am hoping it will force me to recover faster! Those 30s intervals are demons!! Lol!

The speed I will be doing in the HIIT to start with is 11kph run and 5kph walk. That is about 6.8mph and 3.1mph
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K a few months ago and loved it. There were a couple of times that I had to repeat a week but then I would just repeat the week and move on. I have always been a slow runner and had trouble with my breathing while running so the first go around with C25K my running and walking was pretty slow but I tried not worry about that and just got through the whole program. Now I've gone back 2 times and started mid-way through and increased my speed. I love the program and felt it was really helpful in keeping me motivated and moving forward. I would suggest slowing your pace down and just working hard to get through the 8 weeks even if that means repeating a week from time to time.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    eeeek. lucky to have heat? definitely not. Heat+humidity=no way to cool off during my run. i was able to run on an indoor track during week 4 of the c25k and my HR was about 20 bpm slower than when i run outside. heat takes a toll on your body. heat+humidity+hills=not a happy runner (for me at least, maybe some people are into that). but I know that if i push through this horribleness then when it cools off in the fall i will enjoy running farther and longer much more in nice cool weather.
    [/quote]

That is a fair point! I'm just feb up of the rain is all! Lol! But that is a great way to look at these trials!!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options

One mans jog is another mans run. 9kph is not fast. It is jogging speed.

I am on w8 of C25k. I was not a runner before this. I have done multiple 5k races where I walked, walk/run, and am prepping for a full run in Sept.

9k per hour sounds crazy fast to me, as someone who is not a runner. The 5k races I have done have taken me about 48-53 mins, so almost an hour. 9k in that time is almost twice as fast.

I have had success continuously doing C25k and moving forward with it. I go my speed, which might be not much more than a fast walk.

I say slow down. Pace yourself.

Glad that worked for you but I hit the same problem at any speed I try!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    I completed C25K a few months ago and loved it. There were a couple of times that I had to repeat a week but then I would just repeat the week and move on. I have always been a slow runner and had trouble with my breathing while running so the first go around with C25K my running and walking was pretty slow but I tried not worry about that and just got through the whole program. Now I've gone back 2 times and started mid-way through and increased my speed. I love the program and felt it was really helpful in keeping me motivated and moving forward. I would suggest slowing your pace down and just working hard to get through the 8 weeks even if that means repeating a week from time to time.

Thanks for the reply but as I have said slower does not work for me! I do repeat weeks as and when I need to and I will because there is no way I will do it all first time using my plan either! Unless a miracle happens anyway! Honestly for now 9kph is not too fast for me. If I need to lower it later and can do so without losing my stride then I will. This is not what this post was for.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Do you try? I don't mean for that to come across as harsh if it does but everyone thinks of "can't" as something different. I haven't gotten to week 5 yet (I'm finishing week 3) so do you mean that you can't run/jog the amount of time they tell you too? What if you walk for 15 seconds or something half way through then try again for the rest of it?

Excuse me!? Really? Do you try? Have you read the above posts at all? What I think is that I should be able to do it so why the heck can't I!? Why am I having to stop now!?

Everything else you are saying is stuff I have already done at varying speeds. That is why I am trying this. If you don't want to join in then don't put in your 2cents thank you.

You need to know people will come here and bash you for just about everything-I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO COME ACROSS AS HARSH. :explode:

Do you try as in pushing yourself-forcing yourself when you think you can't go anymore? I was trying to understand what you meant, it's all good that you're trying something new but I was trying to give you ideas of how to do it since you're still using the set up so you must like it at least a bit. And yes I did read the posts, I read through all of them including the ones when you freak out on others that are just trying to help you.

So did I read the first post wrong-are you meaning that on the same day you're doing some of C25K and some of HIIT(to get your HR down?)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for, but everyone here has given you FANTASTIC advice and you shoot everyone down.

Drop the HIIT, SLOW DOWN.
    Just when you think you can't slow down anymore...slow down more.

You're running TOO fast, it's simple.

I wish you the best.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, the best thing to do is slow down!

Ive never finished c25k either, because I start out going way to fast since its such a short distance at first and when i get to about week 4 i cant keep up that speed that i had been doing the earlier work outs. However I ran a whole 5k a couple weeks ago and 2.5 miles last night at a 5 mph pace as opposed to the 5.5ish that I was doing with C25K. That .5 mph difference made for a huge change in how comfortable i was doing it, my breathing etc.

Side note, you certainly seem to like using exclamation points! :wink:
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options

You need to know people will come here and bash you for just about everything-I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO COME ACROSS AS HARSH. :explode:

Do you try as in pushing yourself-forcing yourself when you think you can't go anymore? I was trying to understand what you meant, it's all good that you're trying something new but I was trying to give you ideas of how to do it since you're still using the set up so you must like it at least a bit. And yes I did read the posts, I read through all of them including the ones when you freak out on others that are just trying to help you.

So did I read the first post wrong-are you meaning that on the same day you're doing some of C25K and some of HIIT(to get your HR down?)

Sorry! I'm getting a bit bogged down here!! Yes I do try! A lot! As I have said, I push, hard! I run the intervals C25K tells you to and at first it is all gravy, but then it gets harder and I end up feeling like I am going to fall off the treadmill and collapse because I just can't go on anymore before I push the button to get back to walk! That is how hard I push!!

I am not meaning to freak out on people it is just that all I wanted was to get a running group together. I have tried everything and now I have made a plan that I hope will work. I wasn't asking for help becasue at this stage what is being said it is just not constructive.

Yep you did read it wrong!! It is 3 workout weeks! Week 1 HIIT, week 3 a C25K workout etc. There is no way I would do them both on the same day! I would die!! The HIIT is being used to help lower my working HR and shorten my recovery time, thus making longer interval easier to do. Does that make sence?
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, the best thing to do is slow down!

Ive never finished c25k either, because I start out going way to fast since its such a short distance at first and when i get to about week 4 i cant keep up that speed that i had been doing the earlier work outs. However I ran a whole 5k a couple weeks ago and 2.5 miles last night at a 5 mph pace as opposed to the 5.5ish that I was doing with C25K. That .5 mph difference made for a huge change in how comfortable i was doing it, my breathing etc.

Side note, you certainly seem to like using exclamation points! :wink:

Lol! Yes I do!! Everyone I know knows that if I am upset or angry with you I use full stops! Lol! When it got hard did you not just lower your speed then? 9kph is easy for my for the first couple of weeks at least! That is why I chose it as a starting point.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for, but everyone here has given you FANTASTIC advice and you shoot everyone down.

Drop the HIIT, SLOW DOWN.
    Just when you think you can't slow down anymore...slow down more.

You're running TOO fast, it's simple.

I wish you the best.

Thanks for that! I wasn't looking for advice. That is why it is getting shot down. I was looking for running partners thats all. Still others are getting some new ideas so I guess thats a god thing but these are all suggestions that I have tried over and over again, thats why I made my own plan!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Sorry! I'm getting a bit bogged down here!! Yes I do try! A lot! As I have said, I push, hard! I run the intervals C25K tells you to and at first it is all gravy, but then it gets harder and I end up feeling like I am going to fall off the treadmill and collapse because I just can't go on anymore before I push the button to get back to walk! That is how hard I push!!

When you hit that point (which we all have.....) why don't you slow down your pace for a few minutes. Keep the running/jogging FORM, but slow down to finish the interval. Don't walk, but jog slower.
    The ability to go that fast over time comes with work. And just pushing through, but sometimes that push comes from slowing down your pace and keeping the running form. It builds up your stamina, thus allowing you to run farther time-wise.
    I think doing some HITT workouts might help, but I think that runners mainly improve by running. Some runs are fast, some are slow, some are intervals, some are hills, some are race-pace, but most aren't. Most of us finished the C25K, not by focusing on speed, but by keeping form for the interval time, and then working on improving our speed AFTER finishing the time.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    When you hit that point (which we all have.....) why don't you slow down your pace for a few minutes. Keep the running/jogging FORM, but slow down to finish the interval. Don't walk, but jog slower.
    The ability to go that fast over time comes with work. And just pushing through, but sometimes that push comes from slowing down your pace and keeping the running form. It builds up your stamina, thus allowing you to run farther time-wise.
    I think doing some HITT workouts might help, but I think that runners mainly improve by running. Some runs are fast, some are slow, some are intervals, some are hills, some are race-pace, but most aren't. Most of us finished the C25K, not by focusing on speed, but by keeping form for the interval time, and then working on improving our speed AFTER finishing the time.

Lol! I have tried that to! :) As I said though I don't really care what speed I do it! I chose 9kpn becasue it is comfortable for me! No other reason! If I need to lower it I will no problem! Speed will come! My ultimate goal is to run at 14-16kph but I have to be able to run at all first and that is what counts!! Since Novemeber I have tried everything to complete but I think I need to tackle the reason why I get stuck as well as just trying to push through it. That is why I am doing them together!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie. I didn't read everything but I have been running for 9+ years so I'll throw in my two cents just for giggles.

When I started, I was overweight and out of shape. I ran (er shuffled) for one minute at a time with 2 minute walking breaks and repeated 7 times my very first week. I thought I was going. to. die. LMAO

I would say to any runner that feels stuck: slow down and run/walk for time. 20 (or 10 minutes, whatever) minute slow-azz runs. With walking breaks if you need to. Eventually, your body will adjust and you'll be able to do more. I'm training for my fourth half marathon and there are still days that I can't do any more than slog through 2 slow miles. It's not often but it does happen.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think for all that you're saying it's a comfortable speed for you, the way you're experiencing running is suggesting it *isn't* a comfortable speed. You wouldn't be utterly incomprehensibly exhausted if it were a good endurance pace for you. Your body is telling you to slow down....
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh? Are you taking the micheal of my puctuation obsession? Lol!