Heart Rate Monitors? Yes or No?

Options
2»

Replies

• Spinnarella
    Spinnarella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had a nike (hate), a timex (like), and a suunto (moderately dislike). The thing I like about the timex is that it allowed you to choose to display your PERCENTAGE of maximum heart rate rather than just a number. The suunto did not do that, but is much more attractive and the digital display is large. I cannot recal the models of any of them, but they were made for women. I bought the suunto on eBay and was happy with that experience.

Currently I'm looking into the FitBit. It's a pedometer of sorts, not a heart rate monitor. I really like knowing how active I have been throughout the day. I accidentally put my last pedometer through the washer :/ so thinking if I really need/want to invest in another one.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    During my limited research into HRMs, I noticed that most of the lower-priced Polar models did not have a lot of the sports watch functions that I prefer (stopwatch with lap splits, timer, etc). Does anyone have recommendations for a model/brand that includes these sorts of functions so I don't have to wear two devices on my wrists?
  • mjpisat
    mjpisat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to buy my first for doing HIIT at the gym, lifting at the gym and also when I play ice hockey.

Would the polar FT7 be a good one?
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 several weeks ago and it's the best fitness-related decision I've made. Now I actually know how much I'm burning in my workouts, as the calorie burns estimated by MFP are usually significantly overestimated. I lucked out and found one for $50 on eBay.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    Yes, I have a few.

Garmin Edge 800 (GPS) for the mountain bike
    Garmin Forerunner 405 (GPS watch) for forest running, trekking - NOT FOR GYM as it calculates calories from distance
    Polar S725 road bike and gym (No GPS) - Today I would replace this with a Polar CS300 which is overkill for if you do not bike.

The FT4 or FT7 are the go to choices for a first Polar for the gym (they have a calorie calculation).

What sports do you plan to use it with?

I plan on using it for the gym mostly and cycling and as my stamina/endurance builds, eventually running. Nothing too hard core which is why I'm wanting one on the cheaper side that doesn't have a lot of whistles and bells, although cool they would probably be useless to me.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 - it is fab! Love, love, love it!! So motivational! Get one!! :0)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Polar ft4 - it was the most recommended when I was researching them. I'm expecting it to come in on Saturday this week. I'm looking forward to tracking my Zumba workouts.
  • wbmunroe
    wbmunroe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting one of these too. I have seen the Polar FT4 and FT7 recommended a lot. I've been considering a FitBit too... It seems the HRM would be ideal for tracking my actual calories burned during a workout, rather than just believing what the treadmill's computer shows me. The FitBit though, tracks everything (without an accurate HR measurement?) I do all day, which could help me determine overall daily intake.

Any input on that comparison?
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes I have one.

I love it

Best is Polar... FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60.

Stay away from Timex.. The calorie burns on those things are awful.

You also need a chest strap one.. without they won't be accurate.

Why is the Timex bad? I've got one but underestimate calories burned. Are the readings inaccurate? I did the manual settings of zones.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I plan on using it for the gym mostly and cycling and as my stamina/endurance builds, eventually running. Nothing too hard core which is why I'm wanting one on the cheaper side that doesn't have a lot of whistles and bells, although cool they would probably be useless to me.

Look into the CS300 then - It will cover all three sports. If that is too expensive look at the FT series and a basic bike computer.

Fitbit? I really can't answer as I haven't looked into it much. Isn't it just a fancy pedometer?
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do you have one?
    If you don't, do you want one?

Yes, I have a Polar FT7.
    How do you like it?

I absolutely LOVE it. It is very motivational, and definitely worth the $76 dollars that it cost me on Amazon. It works more reliablly than I had thought it would. It never seems to lose my heartbeat signal.
    Which are the best (within a decent price range)?
    And which do you absolutely hate?
    Which brands should I look in to and which should I avoid all together?

Get a Polar brand HRM. Look into the Polar FT7 and FT4. There are more expensive Polar HRM's, but these seem to work just fine for those who don't need all the "bells and whistles".