mixed reviews on eating after 8pm...

Options
Ok so im really confused an unsure on what to do.. I am up at 930am everyday but dont go to sleep until after midnight.. but im told going 12 hours without food puts you in stavation mode.. how am i suppose to stop eating after 8 pm and not eat again for almost 13 hrs.. I just dont know.. I was hoping to get some advice and or típs...

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    no clue. I eat from 6 am to 7 pm …. I don't eat after 7 pm. Never had a problem with starvation mode and it helps me be hungry for breakfast...
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I typically go by when I'm going to bed. I try to not eat after 2 hours before I go to bed. If I'm going to bed at midnight, I don't eat anything after 10 pm, earlier preferred.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    The whole not eating after 8 thing is a load of bull. I go to sleep at midnight. If I don't eat after 8, I'm going to eat my damn pillow.

The bottom line, just try to stop eating an hour or two before bed. Try to go to bed just under satisfied, but not ravenous.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat right before I go to bed.
  • pashton2004
    Options
    I eat biggest in the morning and less at dinner because I find sleeping when full gives me a poor quality of sleep. I think if your internal clock runs later you are probably fine to eat later too, just not close to bed time.
  • blondie60613
    Options
    I don't buy that either. Eat when you are hungry. Listen to your body, it will tell you when it needs nourishment. Eat small meals throughout the day in order to keep your metabolism going.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The whole not eating after 8 thing is a load of bull. I go to sleep at midnight. If I don't eat after 8, I'm going to eat my damn pillow.

The bottom line, just try to stop eating an hour or two before bed. Try to go to bed just under satisfied, but not ravenous.

Good Advice!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Eating late doesn't cause you to gain. Going 12 hours without eating doesn't put you in starvation mode.

The ONLY possible problem with eating right before bed might be if you can't sleep properly on a full stomach, or if it makes you have to get up at night to use the bathroom.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry whenever that is. Just make sure to meet your calorie and macro goals.

Calories do not multiply at specific times of the day. They are not gremlins.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm not sure about the truth in regards to starvation mode, but I can tell you from my personal experience that it doesn't matter to me/my body/my weightloss if I eat after 8pm.

I sometimes have a late tea at around 8 - 8.30pm and I love my night time snacks. I may even have a snack at 11pm and it hasn't done me any harm in terms of weight loss (42kg all up, I think that's 92 lbs?)

I plan for this snacking time and it also means that if I manage to go way over during the day, I can omit some snacks and just have some green tea instead. Most of my snacks are healthy though.

Edit - lol I'm so slow!!
  • Karen_ZH
    Karen_ZH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times per day, about every 2-3 hours. So if I feel hungry in the evening and I haven't eaten the calories I need to eat, I will choose a very healthy snack - usually yogurt and fruit, veggies with 1 tbsp of peanut butter - sometimes a protein shake. I ALWAYS include some kind of protein in my frequent meals
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinner at about 8:30 PM, and eat my ice cream most nights at midnight, when I get off work. Your body doesn't care what time you eat.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok so im really confused an unsure on what to do.. I am up at 930am everyday but dont go to sleep until after midnight.. but im told going 12 hours without food puts you in stavation mode.. how am i suppose to stop eating after 8 pm and not eat again for almost 13 hrs.. I just dont know.. I was hoping to get some advice and or típs...

I can assure you..you won't go into starvation mode after 12 hours without food....that is a myth!!!

I typically don't eat dinner until around 9pm. I get home from work at 6:00pm and am working out by 7pm...so dinner is late every night. It has never hindered my progress!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry whenever that is. Just make sure to meet your calorie and macro goals.

^^This! :smile:
  • gaerielsky
    Options
    There are two trains of thought on eating after 8pm, medically speaking.

1) Calories are calories. It doesn't matter when you eat them as long as you stick to your calorie limit for the day.

2) Eating after 8pm, once your body has slowed down metabolically and doesn't need energy for sleep will make these calories get stored as fat.

I say, eat. If you see that it's a problem for you, then don't eat after 8pm. But I maintain that all people are different and there's not one cookie cutter way to lose weight.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

^This.
    And mogwai :love:
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat six times a day, every 3-4 hours. I workout from 8pm til 10pm then eat and go to bed. Look at my ticker to see how it works for me! That loss is from 3rd Jan 2012.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cut off time and actually prefer at least getting into bed with a full-ish tummy. It's not for everyone but it stops me midnight snacking..
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is a complete myth.... There is no frequency to when you have to eat just make sure you are hitting your calorie goals for the day... I take a 500 calorie snack to bed every night and have lost a few pounds in the process... Best of Luck...
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me not to eat before bed. Especially pasta, breads or heavy carbs. But what does before bed mean? 2 hours? 3 hours? 1 hour? Who knows, guess i should ask her that question next time i see her.

However, I would maybe listen to Brandi. Her ticker says 134 lbs lost! If she can eat before bed, maybe we can too!

Congrats Brandi! Great work!

ETA: Ed! over 300lbs lost!! Awesome job. Also someone who eats at bedtime. Something to think about....