New Runner needs and avoid

Options
So, I'm just getting into this running thing and finding that I really like it - Did I just type that out loud? Anyway, I have running shoes as I saw that as necessary before taking up this activity. But now that I'm liking it, what other tools would you recommend for a new runner (including clothes) or would you recommend a new runner stay away from?

Thanks in advance, I just don't want to buy dumb stuff that won't help me. I'm going to reward myself after every so many miles run and I"m wondering how to incent myself to keep running.

Replies

• ladybug8814
    ladybug8814 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump.....plan to start running in September or October because I just can't see doing it when t he outside temp is 115. My thought the temp will probably make me hate it before really giving it a chance.
  • wildside79
    Options
    wicking cloths (especially socks and undergarments) helped me a lot... When I first was running c25k I had cotton shirt, socks and whitey tighties... it was really a distraction while running.

Armband for your cell phone or other mp3 device. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of good running apps out there, pick one.

HRM - helped me make sure I was keeping a good pace.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ (or similar site to help map out paths)

Thats all I really got.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor: #1 especially if you are counting calories, and want to increase your speed and distance later.

I wear a tank top with whatever shorts I have clean, but I definitly recommend "wicking" socks, or "quick dry" socks, this will help keep your feet healthy and HAPPY! It will also mean, hopefully, on those long runs you wont get as many blisters.

Like wildside said: Any running app you like, if you have a smart phone or touch ipod. I have runkeeper, which I love, c25k, and Run training- for when I increase from a 5k to my half marathon.

Cloths wise, I know wicking cloths are great, help keep the sweat dry on your body- definitely during a race, but I would just look around at what big brands offer: Nike, Addias and then go off that... They have been making this stuff for a while and would prob have the better products. But buy at an outlet mall or discount store!! LOL
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    I never thought about wicking socks...will borrow my sons from his scout hiking bag until I can get some others...My feet haven't gotten too sweaty yet, but then again, I haven't run that far or long yet....

I'll check into the other undergarments too...

I have the heart rate monitor and I need to get some shorts and tops...I wish there was something that could hold my cell phone while I run. I don't like it in it's clip at my belt cuz it's heavy on my shorts - I take it for the c25k program, but use my mp3 on my arm for music....any ideas for a better system for the phone (and maybe keys for when I have to drive to my runs. (I have a 5k in October that I'll have to drive to and I don't have anywhere to put my car key when I run. Maybe my sock, but it would sure be stinky if that fell out during the run.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    wicking cloths (especially socks and undergarments) helped me a lot... When I first was running c25k I had cotton shirt, socks and whitey tighties... it was really a distraction while running.

Armband for your cell phone or other mp3 device. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of good running apps out there, pick one.

HRM - helped me make sure I was keeping a good pace.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ (or similar site to help map out paths)

Thats all I really got.

Agree on all the above!

I use the Nike+ app for running. I like it a lot.

My HRM is the Polar FT4 - I like it a lot too!
  • kyium
    kyium Posts: 2
    Options
    http://health-freeak.tumblr.com/post/23732291028/running-tips-wear-spandex-shorts-under-your
    It has a good amount of running tips that I follow. By the way, be mindful to land in the middle of your foot I strained my calves and can't run till they feel better.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    All of the above. If you have an iPod/Phone check out the LoLo apps. I just downloaded the LoLo treadmill app (beat burn, I think). It will take your iPod music and change the beat to match the pace you need to be running. It takes you through intervals like C25K, but has tips and tricks along the way as well as the music that keeps you going.

And my favorite thing in the world when I'm running is BodyGlide. I cannot express how this has saved my thighs, my heels, and any other body part that rubs where you DON"T want ANYTHING to rub! :)
  • NoSpandex
    Options
    Sports bra, and you can get cheap tech shirts, shorts, and pants at Target. The C9 line is great and you can't beat the price. Definitely get the good socks either online or at the running store. They are pricey but they will cut down on or eliminate blisters. Also, when you wash your tech garments (including socks) never use fabric softener (it destroys the wicking properties). Don't put tech gear in the dryer.

I use the Runkeeper app on my phone and LOVE it.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I never thought about wicking socks...will borrow my sons from his scout hiking bag until I can get some others...My feet haven't gotten too sweaty yet, but then again, I haven't run that far or long yet....

I have the heart rate monitor and I need to get some shorts and tops...I wish there was something that could hold my cell phone while I run. I don't like it in it's clip at my belt cuz it's heavy on my shorts - I take it for the c25k program, but use my mp3 on my arm for music....any ideas for a better system for the phone (and maybe keys for when I have to drive to my runs. (I have a 5k in October that I'll have to drive to and I don't have anywhere to put my car key when I run. Maybe my sock, but it would sure be stinky if that fell out during the run.

I have an Amphipod which holds water and also has a pocket for keys, gels, whatever. They also have running belts to put things in like phone, keys, etc... I have an arm band for my iphone. Some shorts have little pockets for keys and such but I cannot say I trust that unless you safety pin it. I have compression shorts and tights that have a little zipper pocket. Check out Old Navy for their active gear and also Target has some good stuff, usually alot cheaper than ****s or other sporting goods stores. For apps, like runkeeper, C25K. Body Glide is something you may want to use for areas that may chafe. For me, it is underneath sports bra line and wear my heart rate monitor chest strap is.
  • britt8808
    britt8808 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I run quite a bit (like 25 miles a week) and I find that the biggest motivator to keep myself running and reward myself is new running clothing. Yoga pants and spandex shorts will save your life as you get the milage up and you start to discover the "chub rub" from your thighs touching. Plus nothing feels better than knowing that you look good as you run (well until the sweating part starts lol)

MP3 players are a godsend in running, so if you don't have one I would invest.

Good sports bras also (they really do make a difference, I prefer spandex I find that they work better without trapping the heat as badly as cotton ones).

Just make sure you stay safe with it. Many new runners try to conquer the world and up their distance too fast which can cause some pretty awful injuries. The rule of thumb I was always taught is 10%, so if you do 2 miles distance the first week than you increase it no more than 2.2 miles for week two etc.....

Good luck and I am so glad you enjoy running!!!!!!!!
  • britt8808
    britt8808 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also once you are going a little further sign yourself up for a 5k race. It will motivate you to keep running (since you are committed to the race) and will make you want to get better every day so you preform well!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    there are arm bands or running belts out there to hold your phone/ipod/etc
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Mentioned earlier, can't say it enough...good socks! All it takes is one blister to see the need for good socks!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I only run in nice, lightweight running shorts now, or other bottoms designer specifically for running, like running capris. Also, good sports bras and comfortable tops are also highly advisable.

If you start running long distances, I would highly recommend investing in some sort of hydration pack to carry water and food with you. I have a Camelbak Annadel and I love it. It has a couple little compartments for food, and it carries 50oz of water, which is usually more than enough for me. I didn't really need this until I hit the seven or eight mile mark though, so if you're just running 5ks, you probably won't need one. They also sell waist packs, so you'll have to shop around and see what suits your needs best.

I also have an armband to put my phone in for music and my Nike+. If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend getting an app like Runkeeper or Nike+ to track your runs. Great way to measure your progress.

I also agree with others- sign up for a race! Races are super fun, and are where I really fell in love with running. Find a 5k or other race near you on active.com or runningintheusa.com.

Happy trails!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

I have an armband for my phone. If you want something extra to hold keys and stuff, I've heard great things about the Nathan Shadowpack. Small, goes around your waist, and most people say they usually forget they're even wearing it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I started C25K two months ago and started off running in my old trainers and hiking gear. After just two weeks I was enjoying it so much I went a bit mad (albeit at a discount sports store). I see it as money well spent if it encourages me to run (and is cheaper than a gym membership, which I have now given up).

Clothes:

* Cycling top - wicks away sweat like a running top but come in cooler styles and have pockets at the back for all my bits and pieces (keys, asthma inhaler, keys, iPod, tissue for my inevitably runny nose). Some of the trail running tops also have pockets (and longer sleeves). Is beyond me why normal running tops don't have pockets!

* Running tights - I was terrified of these at first, choosing to run in hiking combat pants. But, despite my fat thighs, they are actually quite flattering as they tend to suck everything in! I've got some Adidas Response ones - drawstring round the top for when I hopefully get slimmer! They make you feel the part and are also much easier to run in as there is less friction. I also prefer them to shorts as my legs are really white and British summer weather is cold and wet, so the ankle ones keep the mud off!

* Running socks - wick away the sweat to prevent blisters and wash really well so last forever (I also use them as liner socks when hiking and have pairs I've had for years).

* Sports bra - and absolute must! Go into a store and try on every style and size. I used to be a lingerie buyer for a living and no amount of tape measures will tell you a good fit). For me I've gone down a cup size in the style I use (from the UK store M&S - half the price of ShockAbsorber) to stop any bounce.

* Baseball cap - wouldn't usually be seen dead in one but they are great for when it's raining to keep the rain out of your eyes! Also help to keep your hair off your face.

* Sunglasses - I just wear a pair of big fashion sunglasses as I run along a river and learned quickly that even when there is no sun out I will get flies in my eyes without. Yuk!

* Waterproof jacket - depends what climate you live in. I found them very short (not enough to cover my big bottom!) so I bought a mountain biking one in a discount store instead. Cheap and looks more stylish than a running jacket.

Gadgets: Not a necessity but they do help

* HRM/GPS - I've got a Garmin 110 as it not only records your heartrate and calorie burn but also tracks your routes. Great fun for seeing where you have run, how far you have run, whether you have improved on a particular route, how many hills you ran up. I also use it for hiking - really easy to keep a log now of where and when I have walked.

* iPod/MP3 player - great for uploading not only music but running podcasts to listen to (I've been using the free NHS podcast for C25K: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Did I mention than in just two months of running I am already addicted? Addictions can be an expensive habit - but at least I won't have to buy any more gear for ages!
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is somewhat out of the box, but calcium supplements! Preferably ones with added vitamin d to help absorb the calcium. Your bones take a toll when running. It's important to ensure that you get calcium, especially being a woman, 1000mg per day to protect them later on down the road! I take viactiv calcium plus vitamin d chews in Caramel.
  • Becky0582
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the other posters on the apps for a smart phone...I love runkeeper.com and am currently using the app by active.com for C25K...I bought an armband at ****'s Sporting Goods that will hold your smartphone and it has a place for a key too! I think I paid $30 for it so not too bad...good luck and have fun!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is somewhat out of the box, but calcium supplements! Preferably ones with added vitamin d to help absorb the calcium. Your bones take a toll when running. It's important to ensure that you get calcium, especially being a woman, 1000mg per day to protect them later on down the road! I take viactiv calcium plus vitamin d chews in Caramel.

Good one! A glass of milk post-run is also fab - hydrating and protein and calcium packed to help prevent next-day aches.