organic

Options
Was a bit shocked this morning when I had a handful of raspberries. See, my friend had given them to me last night and they are conventionally grown, but hey, I'm not going to turn down fresh FREE fruit. Typically, we eat 99% organic in my house and recently I've been resenting that commitment. Partly financial and partly convenience. Well, my resentment is gone now. Those raspberries didn't even come close to comparing in flavor to the organic ones we usually have.

Soooo then I was thinking maybe I'm just biased.... So... I went out to the garden and picked the first couple berries off the bushes, put them in a bowl and walked over to my neighbors with two bowls and asked her to taste each. No hesitation on the organic ones being much better.

Not really sure what my point is here (do I have one?!) but just thought I'd share me renewed excitement for organic food, as it's been slightly tarnished lately. :)

PS... if anyone else tries this experiment, let me know.

PPS... I'm not trying trying to diss anyone or say organic food is the only way to diet or be healthy or anything like that. Nope, just sharing an opinion/ experience.

PPPS... How sad is it that the forums make me so nervous I feel it necessary to have 3 post script disclaimers. hahah

Replies

• Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I get an organic/sustainable grocery delivery every 2 weeks (Green Bean Delivery, midwest) and I'm hooked. Conventionally grown food now tastes bland to me, especially fruits and anything on the "dirty dozen" list. Grass-fed beef is another new found love for me. Taste is so much more flavorful!
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    Thanks for the input...it's nice to know there is a reason to pay more money for something. Raspberries are so good too...better'n candy.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the disclaimers.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    there is nothing better than fresh fruit and veggies picked straight from my garden.
  • crystal_darling
    crystal_darling Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a new found love for organic food too!

And lol for all the disclaimers! :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable posting anything without a bunch of disclaimers, but then I worry the disclaimers just make it worse. :ohwell:
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've never tasted a difference between store bought organic and store bought non-organic. Though I have tasted a difference between straight from the garden and store bought anything.

Edit: Though I realised that the difference I was tasting was the extra sugar that's normally lost in store-bought. :(
  • pinballwizzo
    Options
    Yeah, I've totally noticed this with strawberries and cherry tomatoes.
    I always try and get the organic ones if they are going to be eaten without any fanciness. (Making jams is another story)
  • DENALI2017
    Options
    I am partial to organic, but I have seen blind taste tests and the subjects were unable to tell the difference.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    Most organic foods I buy in the store don't really taste any different to me in general. But I do appreciate the flavor, usually, of things that I've picked straight out of the garden more than anything store bought.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of organic and have noticed *remarkable* differences in taste with blueberries, raspberries, grapes, and tomatoes.

Other produce, haven't noticed much difference . . . but there are other advantages, of course :-)
  • Leoba
    Leoba Posts: 10
    Options
    To me there is NOTHING like fresh raspberries straight from the garden. Unfortunately, our plants only yield about six per day, so this is a limited pleasure! But a check-out guy asked me a while ago whether the organic veg I was buying really tasted so much better as to be worth the price and I said no, I can't usually tell the difference, but that I *do* think it's worth the money not to be putting extra unknown chemicals into my body...