ROAD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1235»

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    I had road rage this morning while riding my bike. For the second time in a week someone on a fraking cell phone wasn't paying attention to all 5 of the signs pointing out that their right turn is to yeild to anyone crossing on the path connecting the trail going across the street. The guy mean mugged me the whole time he slow turned so I took my glasses off stared back him and barked about the sign. The next guy in line waited for me to cross.

For the people who say a cyclist should not be on the road I say same roads, same rights, same rules! As a cyclist it is safer for me to be on the road than on a sidewalk or even some trails. Certainly if I can I stay on the trails where I encounter much less traffic but there are places where the road is where I belong and drivers need to learn to accept that and slow their *kitten* down! This morning I was out on a run, crossing a side street and was just about taken out by a minivan. This idiot never saw me even though I was in the middle of the road. I looked at him, called him an idiot and slapped his window with my hand pretty hard. He had the nerve to honk his horn and yell something at me so I was sure to show him he was number one in my book as I started running again :smile:

I agree same road, same rights, same rules. My problem is if you can't cycle the speed limit, then that's not the road you should be on, same rules right.

Not everyone does 50mph and not everyone does 25mph. I am on wheels and traveling far too fast to be on a sidewalk and sometimes walking trails are so busy I become a danger to those who are walking or running. The same rules apply to a bike as they do a car and it is time drivers learn to accept that! I have just as much right on that road with my bike as you do your car and in fact, my bike just may be my car. Not all cyclists follow the rules and many drivers certainly don't. Our numbers are going to continue to grow and you will see us more and more out on your roads so it is time we all learn to share the road. In fact in our area you will find signs along our roadways that say just that, Share the Road :smile:

I am not really sure what your argument is here as you said before same rules for everyone so how can you say the same rules apply for cyclists as for drivers if you physically cannot go as fast as a car, if the speed limit is 50mph and you can't cycle that fast then you are in essence breaking the law and are a danger to yourself and others just like drivers that drive below the speed limit (they are wrong and cause accidents too). Now if there is a specific cycling lane then by all means cycle away, but to make everyone else go 17mph in a 50 mph zone because you feel you have the right to be on the road in that particular area is pretty selfish and dangerous. Not to mention if you get into an accident on a sidewalk or pathway most likely no one will die or be seriously injured but on a road with tons of metal speeding by you at 50mph you will definitely get injured or killed. Some things shouldn't be shared out of common sense for everyone's safety. With that said I am all for cyclist having their own lanes anywhere we can put them, just not the same lane a driver drives in.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    I get it quite a lot sadly - mostly because people round where I live are a bunch of impatient wazzocks who have to be everywhere at the speed of light.

I constantly get people cutting me up on main roads, driving right up my *kitten*, or over-taking me on blind corners! It amazes me how stupid some people can be

I keep to the speed limit - if someone wants to drive up my *kitten* that's up to them, but I won't be going over the speed limit not even by 1mph just to satisfy them!

100% clean licence me :)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Emmy - You can go on and on about how cyclists do not belong on the road but the fact is many cities are saying yes we do and to push that point even further, we have some cities who tell us they do not want us on the sidewalks. We do have some biking lanes which are greatly appreciated but even then drivers pose a danger to us. I will continue to use the roadways as needed which considering the rate of speed I am traveling, sometimes up to 30 mph, it is safer for myself and other pedestrians. You can call that selfish until you're blue in the face but your lack of understanding on the subject will make any argument pretty pointless. It is pretty obvious that you are not an experienced cyclist as I am so I'm willing to forgive some of that ignorance. I would hope that you would educate yourself on the subject a slight bit more before you try and immerse yourself in a discussion you know so little about. Continue to argue if you like but I won't be coming back to this thread as it seems this is the one thing you are truly interested in and to be honest I don't have time as I have a long training ride planned for this morning :smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    When younger, I myself experienced a lot of road rage. Nothing major - just a little friendly tailgating, rude looks, etc. With maturity, I have found that I just don't care enough to let it throw adrenalin into my system when driving. I'll just get out of your way. I"ll just stay to myself. In this day and time? You never know who has a gun and is not afraid to use it. People are crazy. I stay as far away from crazy as I can get.
  • About 12 yrs ago in Cape Town, I remember some dude had such bad road rage, that he killed the other motorist with a hockey stick, whilst his wife and kids were in the car, drove them back home and returned to the scene to hand himself in.

So sad really.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Emmy - You can go on and on about how cyclists do not belong on the road but the fact is many cities are saying yes we do and to push that point even further, we have some cities who tell us they do not want us on the sidewalks. We do have some biking lanes which are greatly appreciated but even then drivers pose a danger to us. I will continue to use the roadways as needed which considering the rate of speed I am traveling, sometimes up to 30 mph, it is safer for myself and other pedestrians. You can call that selfish until you're blue in the face but your lack of understanding on the subject will make any argument pretty pointless. It is pretty obvious that you are not an experienced cyclist as I am so I'm willing to forgive some of that ignorance. I would hope that you would educate yourself on the subject a slight bit more before you try and immerse yourself in a discussion you know so little about. Continue to argue if you like but I won't be coming back to this thread as it seems this is the one thing you are truly interested in and to be honest I don't have time as I have a long training ride planned for this morning :smile:

Ladies and gentleman, this is why Darwinism became a word. Common sense is lost on some people and that is why we have warning signs on hairdryers. I have to say though she can talk talk talk but in the end if there is an accident she will be the only one that loses...........whether it be her life, limb or her ability to walk and ride a bike. It might not be fair that cyclist don't belong on the roads with speed limits faster than they can go, but I think it's pretty obvious life isn't fair. It's not about education sweetheart it's about common sense. We have loads and loads of cyclists around here and can you guess what they do to keep themselves and others safe, that's right they cycle on the pathways(not sidewalks) yeah you see here there are more appropriate and safe places for cyclists that aren't anywhere near cars. But you go ahead it's not survival of the fittest anymore it's survival of the person that has enough brains(ie common sense, You see a theme developing here) to know what's safe and what's not. I know you will be back to read this even if you say you won't, that's a really sad tactic some people deploy, but alas I know it already :wink: Unfortunately now you can't answer back without me knowing and that would just completely undermine you and your I have better things to do attitude for lack of being able to continue the discussion.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Where I live there are no trails or sidewalks for cyclists. We all seem to get along. Speed limits simply means that is how FAST you CAN go. Many roads have a speed minimum too but it is not posted. Most bikes follow the min and follow the rules. The only time I get annoyed is when they don't signal for turns. If possible I pass and leave lots of space. I admire the cyclists and have no reason to hate on them. I do get nervous when it is some of those bikes where you are low to the ground and leaning back. It can be hard to see them.
  • It seems fairly evenly split between guys/gals to me.

The last time I encountered a road rage situation, I had fun with it instead. Some guy wasn't paying attention at all and almost ran into me. He then got pissed at ME when he was the tool that made a mistake. We were on the freeway. He tried to retaliate by getting in front of me to brake-check me. My car was ridiculously faster than his. So I got around him and continued to block him and hold him back. Even with 4 lanes to pick from, he had no chance. Every time he would change lanes and floor it, i'd floor it and move in front of him and slow down. he tried to slow down and go around the car next to us and I'd floor it and go two lanes over (in front of him) and slow down. Repeat/Repeat/Repeat.

He was boxed in and couldn't go faster than I let him. His wife was yelling and pointing at him the whole time, which made me laugh. After a few miles I got bored and had somewhere to be, so I took off. He didn't try to catch up.