Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    in my area its like walking into a jersey shore hell. I just go because its cheap. though the stench of cologne,sweat, testosterone, protein powder, and perfume gets sickening
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's a good gym if you're on a budget, but since I live in a highly populated area I have to watch what times I go or I won't be able to grab a treadmill and will have to wait to use machines.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    First let me say this, I personally don't have anything against bodybuilders or heavy lifters....but honestly, all that damn grunting to lift a weight and dropping the weights is not all I need to be hearing while I'm trying to workout...therefore, go and do that at another gym..PF is a damn good gym and it's fits most ppl budget and needs..let's keep it real
    Well if your squatting like 500lbs for example its pretty damn hard to keep calm
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    it's a good gym for women and guy's who don't want to lift.... also the gym's have different staff, most of them are young kids, so the 'enforcement varies. But the weights do not go up very high. So if you don't want to lift just do cardio it is probably great.

i guess i am a woman then..............

But you have the body of a man.... such a shame
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is a gym for people on a budget. I pay $10/month and that gives me access to cardio equipment such as treadmills, ellipticals, arc trainers, bikes etc as well as weight machines. They also have a small area in the back with ab type things, weighted balls and such. There is also another area dedicated to a circuit where there are steps and weight machines with a red light/green light timer. There are no classes and no where to have classes. They also have tanning beds, which I don't use. I love it. I don't feel uncomfortable with the people who work there or with the people who go to the gym. Haven't noticed any leering or inappropriate behavior. They offer free personal training but it is minimal, bare bones. They don't weigh you or anything, basically just show you how to use the machines and how many reps to do.

I don't know about there ads and I haven't seen one, but I don't think you can judge things by their ads. Look at fast food ads and cereal ads. Crap food but if you listened to their ads they are healthy.
    Anyway, my two cents.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My only complaint is that there isn't a free weight-bench or squat rack. Other than that, I LOVE my local PF. It's great and I get all the workouts I need with the dumbbells. They go up to 75 which isn't too high, but It gets the job done. Always enough machines, always clean, and the aqua massage bed is the best thing ever lol.
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with this comment. It is not a gym for body builders but for everyday people who are overweight or who want to get healthy.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    PF is great if you are looking for gym and to workout without all of the other BS activties. It's not a social club (although I have lots of friends there!), it's not a spa, it doesn;t have a juice bar or restaurant, it's not a family center with babysitting (maybe some of them offer that service?), it's a gym. Low cost, clean with great equipment.

I've belonged to many gyms over my lifetime (YMCA, Bally's, Jack LaLane (yes, he had a gym!), Gold's LA Fitness, etc) and by far PF is just what it advertises; a gym with no judgement, great equipment, clean restrooms and showers and a great staff. All for $10.00/month and I pay a year in advance for $99.00!

Best idea ever other than maybe the 24 Hour Fitness or Anytime Gym concepts; you can work out anytime, although my PF is 24-hours Monday - Friday...

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure it's not for everyone....
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sounds like these gyms are popping up all over the place, Chuze, Crunch, Planet...same exact concept.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for about a year now. It's a good cardio gym. Smith Machines, several weight machines as well cabled and belted. Dumb bells as well. If you looking to sit in front of the mirror and do bicurls with 150lbs dumb bells its not a gym for you. If you want to go and sweat and do light to moderate lifting its a good fit. Monthly fees of $10 to $20 demended on membership class you choose.

In the end its your choice dont ever let anyone else influence you. If you fall into this trap than you might as well sit on the couch and pig out on cheese burgers.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for about a year now. It's a good cardio gym. Smith Machines, several weight machines as well cabled and belted. Dumb bells as well. If you looking to sit in front of the mirror and do bicurls with 150lbs dumb bells its not a gym for you. If you want to go and sweat and do light to moderate lifting its a good fit. Monthly fees of $10 to $20 demended on membership class you choose.

In the end its your choice dont ever let anyone else influence you. If you fall into this trap than you might as well sit on the couch and pig out on cheese burgers.

This didn't even make any sense :huh:

You know what else is a good cardio gym...running/jogging/biking outside. Workout dvd's in your house, etc etc etc. What's the point of paying for a gym at all if it only has stuff that you don't even need to be in a gym to do?
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

What's the point of paying for a gym at all if it only has stuff that you don't even need to be in a gym to do?

You dont need a gym for anything. You do realize gyms havent been around forever, yet people found a way to workout.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

What's the point of paying for a gym at all if it only has stuff that you don't even need to be in a gym to do?

You dont need a gym for anything. You do realize gyms havent been around forever, yet people found a way to workout.

Well it depends what you need to do. It's pretty expensive to set up serious lifting equipment and squat racks in your house. If its more affordable for someone pay a small amount monthly to go do it somewhere else then they do need to be in a gym.

Cardio is almost never expensive and you'll get better results often without machines. For example, someone trying to get into serious sprints really can't do it effectively on a treadmill. Now if your favorite form of cardio is swimming then paying for a gym with a pool would be one of your needs.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm a PF Black Card Member and I love Planet Fitness. Their "No Lunk" policy gets overblown by some people (usually exactly the type of people they don't want in there). I've worked out at no less than 12 PF locations across the country (4 in my state, 2 in the Denver area, 3 in the Boston area, 3 in NYC) and I can tell you that in EVERY one of them there were guys with 20+ inch biceps working out. It's not that they don't want big builders working out, they just don't want them behaving like animals (yelling out, letting weights slam to the floor, etc).

I like PF for their range of equipment. Their franchises have to meet a minimum size and that size allows them to provide plenty of cardio equipment, weight machines and their free weight area. The only limitations I've run into is the lack of bar bells and squat racks (they have barbell smith machines that have worked fine for me). I've not been to a gym yet that wasn't missing some key piece of equipment I wanted where I had to instead find alternative means of working specific muscle groups, so it's no big deal to me. My local PF is open and staffed 24x7 which is very nice. I tried Snap Fitness and Anytime Fitness and really felt awkward working out at 11:00PM when there was no one else in the building.

Every PF I've been to except one in the Denver area have been very clean and relatively modern. I highly recommend them.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have never been a member but heard bad things about it if your goal is to pick up heavy things and put them back down etc..
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness and I enjoy it! I really like the circuit training area.
  • blrblr
    blrblr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :heart: I go to PF and I like it!! lots of machines no lines..red light booth ...near to my house!! :flowerforyou:
  • TonyM1984
    TonyM1984 Posts: 267
    Options
    I go there, its cool for the price but not many options! No classes, no aerobics room, limited weights. They are convienient for me though, thats why i go there.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I go to PF with my husband and I have NEVER been told

1) you can't lift heavy -- I squat very heavy and have NEVER been yelled at
    Or
    2) you can't do dead lifts-- I do dead lifts all the time as do others at the gym and again, no issues

In fact there are some guys that go there wo are in phenomenal shape and worked all the heavy plates from every smith machine, load up and lift and not once have they ever been told to go home or they are not allowed to do that there. Whoever is spouting that crap is an idiot or just being a plain old douche bag. If I was told that when I walked in the door I'd laugh and do my workout.

As for the "pizza parties" and "bagel day" it's once a month and guess what? NO ONE FORCES THE STUFF DOWN YOUR THROAT! It's your choice to eat or (brace yourselves) OT eat the stuff. No one forces you. I have been there on "pizza ought" and never took a slice. I am there on bagel day and drink the free coffee and leave the bagels. What's the difference between tha and those gyms tha offer "healthy" smoothies that have thousands of calories and fat in them? And don't tell me it's the health factor because I wouldn't down a smoothie that has 900 calories regardless of what it has in it any more then I would eat a slice of pizza post workout.

Yes it's cheap. Yes there aren't as many weight options depending upon the gym (they are independently owned franchises so each TM can have different equipment) but I get to go for free as a guest on my husbands membership where as th "big fancy gym" he used to go t I had to pay a $12 day pass every time I wanted to go which was about four times a month so $12 vs FREE? I take free all day long.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I go to PF with my husband and I have NEVER been told

1) you can't lift heavy -- I squat very heavy and have NEVER been yelled at
    Or
    2) you can't do dead lifts-- I do dead lifts all the time as do others at the gym and again, no issues

In fact there are some guys that go there wo are in phenomenal shape and worked all the heavy plates from every smith machine, load up and lift and not once have they ever been told to go home or they are not allowed to do that there. Whoever is spouting that crap is an idiot or just being a plain old douche bag. If I was told that when I walked in the door I'd laugh and do my workout.

As for the "pizza parties" and "bagel day" it's once a month and guess what? NO ONE FORCES THE STUFF DOWN YOUR THROAT! It's your choice to eat or (brace yourselves) OT eat the stuff. No one forces you. I have been there on "pizza ought" and never took a slice. I am there on bagel day and drink the free coffee and leave the bagels. What's the difference between tha and those gyms tha offer "healthy" smoothies that have thousands of calories and fat in them? And don't tell me it's the health factor because I wouldn't down a smoothie that has 900 calories regardless of what it has in it any more then I would eat a slice of pizza post workout.

Yes it's cheap. Yes there aren't as many weight options depending upon the gym (they are independently owned franchises so each TM can have different equipment) but I get to go for free as a guest on my husbands membership where as th "big fancy gym" he used to go t I had to pay a $12 day pass every time I wanted to go which was about four times a month so $12 vs FREE? I take free all day long.

Pretty sure its when you are deadlifting 400+ lbs and you can't set the weight back down anymore without throwing your back out so you have to drop it.