Best stroke to swim?

Options
Hiya! I'm planning on starting swimming soon as part of my exercise routine but was wondering which stroke would be the best, or is there not that much difference?

I'm looking for just a general full body/cardio type thing as I do other exercises for specific parts of the body.

Thank you :)

Replies

• drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't swim a ton, but I occasionally get in a quarter mile here or there. I switch strokes to work different muscles throughout the workout. It keeps me from getting as tired too, since no muscle gets overworked.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My doc recommended the breast stroke when I indicated that I exercised in the pool. She said it was the best stroke because you were using my energy lifting your body out of the water during each stroke. Right now I'm more of a doggie paddle swimmer than anything though.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have found all of them to be a challenge, but the one I can get the most continuous laps out of is the freestyle. Anyone that gets your heart rate up will work! Experiment. :smile:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    What are your long term goals? The consensus is that Crawl burns the most calories, and its also the best for you from a posture/ injury perspective (breast stroke isn't great if you have back problems): its also the recommended stroke for Triathlons as its predominantly arm based as oppose to breast stroke which is leg based - as are running and cycling.

On the other hand - I suck at crawl and so I cant do as many lengths or as long a swim as I can doing breast stroke.

Also - if you do it right back stroke is as good from a fitness & posture perspective (assuming you do it right) - its just that I crash into other people when I do it
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love the back stroke but yeah it really needs a private swimming lane. The crawl is excellent but I don't do it right either. My timing sucks so I end up just keeping my face above water.

I like the idea of alternating myself. Don't forget the butterfly!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I do laps of many strokes (not fly), breast, free, back, side, inverted back and I practice my breathing. I also tread water for 15 minutes just for fun... I think crawl is my favorite to 'feel' the work out and breathing practice. Breast is the easiest because I 'thick' in the leg muscle area. I usually do 5 to 10 laps each depending on if it is my only workout.

You should do what is comfortable for you, work on breathing well because that will improve your swimming so much and increase your enjoyment. Breast is an easy one to start generally, but side stroke can be nice too!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you are learning - watch the Olympic swimming and do a bit of analysis of what they are doing: its amazing to see how calm they look even going at full speed - especially when you compare the under water shots to the above water shots: its those few micro seconds as they reach forward with their arms before starting to apply the power which allows them to glide through the water. Beautiful.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive swimmer all the way until I went to college, and am actually looking at taking it back up as my cardio exercise.

If you're swimming breast stroke correctly its actully NOT all legs, most of your momentum and power should come from you're core. Its a combination of a butterfly kick with a frog kick, but thats really more advanced than most people get when they swim it. It is however the most gentle on joints, especially if you have should problems.

Basic free style (crawl as everyone else is calling it I think?) is a good whole body workout, but does put some strain on the shoulders and if you aren't able to do side breathing can be really difficult.

Backstroke... I hate it so I avoid it at all costs, but unless you're really good at it or able to have your own lane, I would say avoid it, oh and you need to know your turns and such, or else you'll nail your head in the wall, which isn't fun. (I don't avoid this stroke because its hard, I avoid it because I've popped my shoulder out of joint while swimming it 3 different times in races)

Butterfly - probably the best whole body workout, however not really realistic to swim for extended periods of time, really rough on the shoulders, and takes a LOT of upper body/core strength to pull yourself out of the water.

All swimming is ultimately a full body workout, and if you want to switch it up, you can always add in just kicks and just arms to your routine, depending on your swimming ability. You can probably google swimming workouts
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I usually do something like this:

1/4 mile crawl
    1/4 mile breast
    1/4 mile back
    1/4 mile crawl

10 mins treading water (legs only)

10 mins ab work in pool

stretch and a splash around for fun

Some days I'll do the whole mile in crawl, some days I mix it up and do HIIT. I swim 3 times a week and di a mile in just over 30 mins, so I am pushing it. Heart rate usually hits around 160. I think my arms looks firm from all the swimming, but my legs less so, that's why I started treading water at the end of my swim

Technique is the most important thing though, don't do breast stroke with your head out of the water for example

Best of luck!
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Butterfly - probably the best whole body workout, however not really realistic to swim for extended periods of time, really rough on the shoulders, and takes a LOT of upper body/core strength to pull yourself out of the water.

Oh I could NEVER get the hang of butterfly in school! I think i'll give that a miss!

I'm going to go to the pool tonight and just see what takes my fancy and what feels the best I guess!

thanks for all your help! :)
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming again and have found in the exercise tracker here that free and breast are about the same. But you can't swim at a leisurely pace. Personally, I get SO bored I switch it up all the time, 10 free, 10 breast, 10 kickboard, 10 with styrofoam ankle weights and just pull with my arms, then styrofoam weights with my arms.....just mix it up to keep your HR up.
  • TheLessOfMe
    Options
    An update! I went to the pool at half 8 last night and left at 10! I did mainly front crawl with breastroke to give myself a little break and then I tried back stroke for a while.

I absolutely loved it - was absolutely buzzing after! I'm definitely going to be going regularly now!

Thanks again for all your help guys and gals :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I alternate between freestyle & back stroke. I find the freestyle more challenging & tiring plus they make my muscles sore the following day.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    See if there is a Masters Swimming program in your area. If you join a club, you basically get an exercise group and a coach - in some cases for free. The club I swim in has two practices a week and is no additional charge over the fee I pay to use the fitness center.

US Masters Swimming has a website with more information, but not all clubs are listed, so you may just ask around.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    An update! I went to the pool at half 8 last night and left at 10! I did mainly front crawl with breastroke to give myself a little break and then I tried back stroke for a while.

I absolutely loved it - was absolutely buzzing after! I'm definitely going to be going regularly now!

Thanks again for all your help guys and gals :)

Yay! I've come to enjoy swimming quite a bit even though I've learned proper swimming late in life. I have a fabulous swim team that I'm able to swim with M-F for $25 per month. Do you have such thing in your area? I get to do a ton of speed and form drills and by the end of the night, I've done 2500-3000m without even realizing it because I'm being bossed around, LOL! Have a look at your local gym!
  • cactusphil
    Options
    I typically do free-breast-free-breast-back as a rotation and spread that out over 25-45 laps (up and back) in a 25 yard pool. It keeps me from getting bored and it helps me keep track of my lap count. Sometimes I do mostly breast as it is the highest calorie burner according to the exercise tracker on here.
  • TheLessOfMe
    Options
    See if there is a Masters Swimming program in your area. If you join a club, you basically get an exercise group and a coach - in some cases for free. The club I swim in has two practices a week and is no additional charge over the fee I pay to use the fitness center.

US Masters Swimming has a website with more information, but not all clubs are listed, so you may just ask around.

sounds great, but I'm in the UK and I don't think they do that here. also I'd rather do my own thing!