BLACK TEAM-New Year and opening to new Members

Options
Happy New Year Everyone!

Well Black team, We have had an incredible year since we started this team a year ago for the biggest loser challenge. While the challenge and (several other teams) have gone we are still here. Plugging away and changing our lives.
As we discussed last week It is the new year and typically January is a time when alot of folks deciede they need to change things so we can expect some new friendly faces on the site so here is a thread to open the team up to anyone who is interested in being a black teamer. For those non members reading this let me tell you a little bit about what we have done together in the last year and what is is to be a Black Team Member.

In the last year we have lost alot of weight through one anothers support and alot of hard work. We have had members complete first 5k's, 10ks, half marathons and Duathalons. We've fallen and gotten back up. We've helped one another through some tough momments (some weight loss related some not). And through it all we have made friendships that run deep. We've all learned alot about Nutrition, Fitness and the emotional things that made us big to begin with. We feel like we have alot to offer folks that are just starting in their journey. We have a Husband and Wife who have changed their lives together. A mother of nine children who still finds the time to do what is needed with no excuses. Two wonderful woman who have officially become endurance athletes with their amazing half marathons. A few potitivley wonderful moms who prove that their are some amazing people living in the great state of Florida. Great people here. I can't say enough about the people on this team. But their are some things that are required to be a Black Teamer.

#1: We will do weekly challenges: Every week we will have a challenge. Whether is drinking enough water. or doing jumping jacks it keeps things interesting. Nothing worse then getting stuck in a rut.

#2: We do weekly weigh ins-We ask that you report your weekly weigh in to me via Private Message each week so that I can post out weigh in results for your teammates to review. It's important that you are accountable to your team mates and sharing this information is good motivation to stay in line. It doesnt matter what day you choose. Most weight in on Wednesday morning (The morning after the biggest loser airs) but no matter what day you choose just report your weight in to me on tuesday night or wednesday morning and I can get it posted on wednesday night.

#3: While it is not required we are trying something new this year as a team. We are going to make our food diary accessable to friends and make sure you friend request all your teammates. That way we can review one anothers food diary. This is good for several reasons. Keeping a food diary has been PROVEN to make you more successful and when your whole team has access to it your more likley to complete it. Also, this gives us as a team the chance to get some great ideas for food options from one another.

BLACK TEAM DISCLAIMER:

This team has a way of caring deeply for one another, We can be very supportive and are more than willing to support you when things are difficult by encouraging you. However, We also have a talent for knowing when to tell you to suck it up and get back to work. Because sometimes that is what you have to hear. This team does not hesitate to push one another so you have to be able to handle that. Tough love is very much needed sometime. We are never rude and will never insult one another. It's more of a tough love sort of thing.

The recuritment will be open until first weight in reporting on wednesday. For any of the new folks reading this. Whether you deciede this team is for you or not. I just want to welcome you to My Fitness Pal and wish you luck on your Journey.

Cheers to the new year and all it has in store. :drinker:

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Still a black team member; this year has changed my life. I will reach my goal this year, I will be do amazing health things along the way and I will stand proudly with my black team members. I :heart: my team!!!!!!
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Still a black team member; this year has changed my life. I will reach my goal this year, I will be do amazing health things along the way and I will stand proudly with my black team members. I :heart: my team!!!!!!

We :heart: you too Amanda. Enjoy that Wii fit you got for christmas. Fun stuff.

Just gonna report in for the day.

We are in for some serious snow up here in Maine. They are saying between 1 and 2 feet in the next couple of days. So I was on the couch loafing around being lazy figuring I would just stay to my calorie budget and skip the workout today when DW gets a phone call from one of her friends. Next thing I know I am repeatedly trudging up a snowy hill with the kids at a great nearby sledding spot. We has a great time and MAN is climbing that hill a zillion times a great work out. So much for the lazy day. lol Felt good to get out in the snow.

Turkey Chili for supper tonight. GREAT on a snowy day!

:flowerforyou:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,760 Member
    Options
    I am also proud to be part of this team. I joined about midway through the year and have met some amazing people who have inspired me, encouraged me and supported me along the way. There are very few days that go by that I don't think about my team members for one reason or another.

I am looking so forward to starting a new year as part of this team. Let's do it!
  • AmandaJ
    Options

We :heart: you too Amanda. Enjoy that Wii fit you got for christmas. Fun stuff.

Just gonna report in for the day.

We are in for some serious snow up here in Maine. They are saying between 1 and 2 feet in the next couple of days. So I was on the couch loafing around being lazy figuring I would just stay to my calorie budget and skip the workout today when DW gets a phone call from one of her friends. Next thing I know I am repeatedly trudging up a snowy hill with the kids at a great nearby sledding spot. We has a great time and MAN is climbing that hill a zillion times a great work out. So much for the lazy day. lol Felt good to get out in the snow.

Turkey Chili for supper tonight. GREAT on a snowy day!

:flowerforyou:

Sounds like an awesome day, glad you and the family had a wonderful day. I have to admit that this was the first year that I have went out and sledded with the kids. Burning calories, getting exercise and having fun makes a great day! I also love chili made healthy, delicious and filling.

The Wii fit has been amazing, one of the better things I have bought. My 9 year old was headed toward the same lifestyle I used to live and now all she wants to do is play the Wii. She cried when the stupid thing told her she was overweight and sadly it is true. I sat down with her and explained that she is still growing, we talked about nutrition and health. She feels positive and now she is thinking more about what she is eating. She is still a kid, loves the cookies that my sister brings over but she is learning and that is what life is about - learning!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    tag:heart:
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Black teamer reporting in. I want to say that I have been on this black team since the beginning.. Andrew and I battled as we were on opposing team in the beginning,...how greatful am I that we joined teams together. This team is a force to be reconeked with. I have one thing to say about myself. all of ya'll know I work at cracker barrel and everyday that I work we have cinnamon biscuits right now for the Holidays, well everyday I work I would eat half of one and just count it into my calories...well I am proud to say that this morning I passed on the cinnamon and they will be gone after sunday...yippee. I am so happy to re-start this journey...its gonna be hard to detox but its what I have to do....we have done it before we can do it again!!!

Andrew thanks for stepping up and being the leader this time as Sam needed a much needed break....

I made fabulous money today I am off to the gym in a bit, gonna do my weights and then run my 5 miles!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Just got back from a 2 mile run, it was wonderful and would have went farther but it started pouring cold rain and my mom and ds were walking but they were way back there. I ran back to the car and then went and pick them up. I am going to try to run with the Wii tonight to get some more miles in. What a great first day of 2010. :flowerforyou:
  • Jim77
    Jim77 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello Black Team! I would like to join in this year. You already know my wife, jimswmn . I have been watching from the sidelines for a year now and think its time to get in the game.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Reporting in...and brought a recruit. I :heart: the members of this team and you are why I have gotten so far. I have a doubled reason for reaching my goal as grand baby #2 arrives in July., gotta be able to keep up with them. Plus that dreaded birthday landmark arrives this year. Who said 50 is fat and lazy. Catch me if you can!
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Hello Black Team! I would like to join in this year. You already know my wife, jimswmn . I have been watching from the sidelines for a year now and think its time to get in the game.

Hey Jim!

Welcome to the team Man! If your half as cool as your other half you'll fit right in!
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Hi Jim, welcome!!! :smile:

Hey Andrew, there is now another guy! You are not alone any longer in a sea of women! :laugh:
  • 72lori
    Options
    Welcome Jim!

I'm so proud of all my teammates for starting out the year so well! Eating great and good workouts. I'm a little behind, but I'm coming! Don't worry, I'll catch up, the sprint will do me good!

Today was somewhat a disaster, tomorrow WILL be better, I promise mself.

It just occured to me what I heard on the radio last night as we were driving since I see Jillian's picture to the right of my typing. She was doing a radio interview and when asked how much she worked out she said about 3 hours a week. She said she counts her calories diligently, eats her favorite 'cheat foods' in moderation and leads a busy life. She's got some serious guns for only working out 3 hours a week. I want 'em.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Welcome Jim!

I'm so proud of all my teammates for starting out the year so well! Eating great and good workouts. I'm a little behind, but I'm coming! Don't worry, I'll catch up, the sprint will do me good!

It just occured to me what I heard on the radio last night as we were driving since I see Jillian's picture to the right of my typing. She was doing a radio interview and when asked how much she worked out she said about 3 hours a week. She said she counts her calories diligently, eats her favorite 'cheat foods' in moderation and leads a busy life. She's got some serious guns for only working out 3 hours a week. I want 'em.

My dh and I were discussing this after reading your post and is that only counting strength training or is that all exercise?
  • Marla64
    Options
    JIM!!!!!!!! Welcome-- we love you already by proxy-- Your woman is the coolest--

So I kicked off the New Year in style today, my beloved team-- 31:58 for my Hangover 5k. Ran through slush/snow/ice on some narrow bike trails through part of the course, on a bladder so full I thought it was going to burst.

I'll spare you the details, but my mother-in-law was with us, and it was a very hectic mad dash to get to the registration table, pick up the bib and timing chip, blah, blah, blah AND try and hit the potty before the starting gun went off. So, I had to pee like a racehorse the whole freaking way.

All in all-- I'll take the time, thanks, and consider myself lucky that I didn't leave my own trail of yellow snow behind me.

300 calories over today-- I'll take that, too-- crazy stuff with hub's family today-- oy!

Thought a lot about what needs to change in my eating-- basically, I'm going back to what got me 38 pounds down in the first place. Normal food-- 1200 calories of it. Fanatical logging, timed snacks, exercise and some water-- tried and true.

Let's kick some *kitten*, my friends--

Love to all!!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Hi Jim! Welcome aboard!

Well, team...I did not work out today, but it was a planned rest. Wednesday night after my run on the treadmill, my left hamstring was really sore like I pulled something. Luckily, after a hot bath and a couple days rest, I'm good as gold. That said, I'll be out tomorrow morning in the bust-*kitten* cold weather for 9 miles.

Eating wasn't too bad, but it was way under my cals. We slept in and didn't eat until almost 11, so it was pretty much just lunch and dinner. At least I logged it.

Time for night-night so I can be up in the morning. Talk to you kids tomorrow.
  • Chelle76
    Options
    Hello..I am new here. I am trying to get more motivated to work out..would love to be able to do what half of you have posted!!! I would love to join..what do I need to do?
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello..I am new here. I am trying to get more motivated to work out..would love to be able to do what half of you have posted!!! I would love to join..what do I need to do?

hi chelle! all you have to do is what you've already done, just reach out and say hello :smile: we'd love to have you as part of our team.

and welcome to jim!

not the best day food-wise for me, and tomorrow i'm planning on eating my leftover chinese from new years eve, so we'll see where i am weight-wise this week. i know i'm heading in the right direction overall and i can't wait to get back to the Y routine next week. we're supposed to get between 1 and 2 feet of snow tomorrow, so hopefully i'll get a workout video in. have a great night everyone!
  • Marla64
    Options

Hi Chelle--

Welcome-- adding to Beth's welcome, all we ask beyond reaching out and saying hello is that you kick some booty around here when you sniff any whining, and be prepared to get kicked. We motivate each other like no other team. Gently when needed, and stiff kicks in the *kitten* when needed--

The motivation on here is unmatched-- the finest pals you could ask for--

So glad to have you-- 2010 is ours-- kickin' *kitten* and takin' names.
    (yeah, I said *kitten*-- wanna make somethin' of it?)
  • 72lori
    Options
    Welcome Jim!

My dh and I were discussing this after reading your post and is that only counting strength training or is that all exercise?

I don't know, the question asked of her was how much she worked out and she said "About 3 hours a week, but I live an extremely busy life...." and went on to say how carefully she counted calories. I read somewhere before she hates running and cardio and will do a quick 10 minute mile to get in some cardio.