Garden Vegetable Soup.....it needs flavor, ideas?!

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Add some sodium free salt.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    More garlic, caramelized onions, celery, mushrooms, or cumin to make it more savory.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to add some crushed red pepper flakes to my soups. The spice helps me feel full faster & I really like the flavor.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You couud add some basil or tomato purée. Maybe a pinch or two of cayenne for a little heat?
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    half a jar of extra hot picante :tongue:
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How about some Mrs Dash no salt seasoning? That is normally a quick fix with no extra calories!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    oregano.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    dried basil, and a can of stewed tomatos. YUM
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric and 3x as much garlic
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could add chicken or beef broth (low sodium if you are watching salt) or you could use the bouillon cubes instead of the stock and then add tomato sauce for taste (we actually use ketchup. We use to use the regular Hunts, but now no fructose ketchup even better). Just add until you like the taste of it, but make sure you are knowing how much you are putting in so that you can add your calories.

You can add all the herbs you want, but you may be wanting the broth to not taste so bland, like water, that is why I am suggesting the above items. Oh, and I add Louisiana Tobascco sauce to taste.
  • sabrasuever
    Options
    Lime is a good substitute for salt.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Old Bay, so it tastes like crab soup!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    More cumin definitely and as someone stated... cook the Vegi's before adding the liquid. Fennel would help...it is super flavorful vegetable! If you like hot stuff, add spice peppers. I always add kidney beans but that will add some calories :-)
  • CeeGull2
    CeeGull2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would add a couple of teaspoons to a tablespoon of BETTER THAN BOUILLON Vegetable flavor. It is in the soup section in a jar and you can refrigerate after opening. It is truly yummy and is good enough to make a cup on its own.
  • cmayoung
    cmayoung Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to add Hot & spicy V-8 juice to my veg. soups.

Yes! or a dash of red pepper flakes!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    A-1 sauce.....shhhhh !!! it's my secret ingredient :-)
  • cmayoung
    cmayoung Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you like a seafood flavor, adding clam juice is a great flavor enhancer!
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup suggestion... my sister and I were just talking about this. I always put cabbage in mine and usually celery too, a w large can of tomatoes, onion and ALWAYS ALWAYS.... my grammas secret ingredient.... a heapin Tbls of brown sugar. ...i know it doesn't sound right...and you may not want the calories...but I PROMISE...it's the secret ingredient missing. And by the time you take the cals and sugar and divide into the servings...it's only a few calories per serving. BUT all the world difference in taste. Try the sugar most of all.... :happy:
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This too is an excellent idea... ! Will add zip!
  • lakeele
    lakeele Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it sounds good. I would try adding a few more seasonings like fresh parsley, or even rosemary. I even like cilantro. But some people don't like it's flavor, so go sparingly!
    Good luck!