All in or all out mentality..anyone else with this problem?

2»

Replies

• This is exactly how I am.... it sucks!
  • Reebee22
    Reebee22 Posts: 26 Member
    I am so like this!!!! its soooooooooooooo frustrating!!! quit smoking about 4.5 months ago and do you think I can stop shoving food into my mouth??? then I get all obsessive about it and work out like a nutter and cut back all naughty food then hit the wall and shovel the food back into my mouth!!!! I need help with motivation thats my biggest problem!!!!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    This is one of the biggest problems that I personally have with weight loss. I feel like I'm doing "great" until I cheat and then I feel like I've ruined the diet and completely failed.

I discovered that I am poor at assessing personal failures and accomplishments so I now rely on actual numbers. I went over on my calories one day? No big deal. An extra 500 calories or even 1000 calories doesn't make or break anything.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    <raising hand>
    Totally blew it last week~ off for seven days and gained eight pounds!

I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money you did not gain eight pounds!
  • Fitty_Cent
    Fitty_Cent Posts: 41 Member
    I used to be like this all the time, but I've changed now. For example tonight my husband's getting home late so I started snacking before dinner. All of a sudden I got the urge to say, "screw it I'm baking coooookies!" but then I stopped and thought about it and realized my hunger would subside in a few minutes if I just waited for the snack to digest.
    Likewise tonight I puttered around the house a bit too much and realized I probably wasn't going to make it to the gym before closing, so instead of saying, "well, I'll just have a coach potato night, with potatoes," I downloaded a workout video online and wound up getting a pretty good workout in my living room.
    Snacking before dinner and missing the gym were not part of my plans, but I managed to keep myself in check this time. It was hard at first to break the all or nothing mindset, but once I started, it got easy very quickly. Perfectionism is something that I'm trying to leave in my past.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    <raising hand>

I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money you did not gain eight pounds!
    Water retention is a terrible thing.... lol
  • thats me. :[ If i have my meals planned out the day before i can stick to it. But i throw in my "cheat" meal, even if i keep it within calories, the junk just makes me crave more junk. and then i try and cram in all my favorites thinking "i'll restart eating healthy tomorrow, and i wont be able to eat it". Its crazy. I will consume 4000 calories or more, because unfortunatly i crave high calorie things such as chocolate and poptarts and peanutbutter with honey. I think im just going to have to stick to my meal plan or starve, because i dont have the self control to stop at one serving once the first piece of delicious sugary crap enters my mouth.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    the ingredients in that "delicious sugary crap" will mess with your brain and make you crave more. that's what I think! so if a little cheat causes you to go overboard like that, then I agree, stick with the plan! I have started to think of the crap as poison to me...the mental shift has helped me avoid the temptation and the longer I go without, the cleaner I eat, the less I want it! Did you know a "fun size" snickers has MORE calories than an entire bag (9 oz.) of fresh spinach?! And it won't keep you satisfied and full for a fraction of the time the spinach or other greens?!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    <raising hand>

You and me both sister!! I gained 7.5lbs and came so close to just saying "I quit" and completely falling off the wagon...or not getting back on it per say. But I did and 4lbs are gone already thank goodness!

to OP-
    I've always been this way- with everything. I'm either giving 100% or none at all basically. My motivation just- stops! IDK why but it does.... I think with weight loss It's because I MISS my old bad and lazy habits.... I see others eating junk and I want to eat it too....that sorta thing. I like, get mad, that I have to eat healthy and exercise to be slimmer and others don't or not as much. Does that make sense?...
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    I am EXACTLY the same way. My good days are GREAT. If i eat one bad thing, forget it, the rest of the day is one big binge! I am trying to get better at that!
  • suej20
    suej20 Posts: 21 Member
    Me too!
  • lindsey2423
    lindsey2423 Posts: 20 Member
    i totally relate with the "i already ate something bad for me today... so i'm going to just keep eating and start over tomorrow" mentality

i also find it hard when people start to notice i've lost weight, and give me lots of compliments. then i start to feel so much better about my self-image, that i give up on my main goal! and usually gain everything back
  • I'm exactly the same way! If I give into craving and eat way over my limits, I am like "screw it" I'll start again tomorrow. But, then I don't. So, it will be another few months and I will start my "diet/healthier eating" again.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    My husband tells me that this is one of my biggest obstacles and why I have always gained back! . I have been on so many diets in my 44 years because - once I am on - I am on and I have been able to lose the weight but once I am off, I am off and all that work goes out the window. Last one was an expensive doctor supervised fast where I lost 58 pounds, have done weight watcher's, too many to name.... I am trying to come up with a strategy for keeping it off while I am still losing it. I tried to bounce some idea off an always slender co-worker - she totally did not get what I was saying. I was trying to say that losing weight has it's own rewards- you are (if you are losing) always getting reinforcement to lose. I was saying that I think I need to set up a reward like buying myself expensive gifts monthly that I would never buy myself if I maintain within 5 pounds of my goal that month. I am a bargain shopper so treating myself to something full price almost never happens.
    This time I gained 86 pounds while taking steroids for a serious health condition. I am losing it very very slowly this time and taking 1-2 week diet breaks which force me to be "off". I am following the Eat More to Weigh Less board on here. This way I am dealing with some stalls now and not getting the built in reward of losing and not giving up. I am trying to flex a "muscle" that I don't usually use. So far so good. I too get frustrated and feel like why shouldn't I eat like everyone else who can eat what they want? Um because I gain weight! I hope that knowing better will mean doing better this time! Good luck.
  • mommytobrayden
    mommytobrayden Posts: 28 Member
    I'm definitely an all or nothing girl; however, I am trying to change my mindset. Just this past week we went to Applebee's for dinner. First time I have been out to dinner in two months. So did I order off the 550 calorie or less menu? NOPE. I had a quesidilla burger and onion rings for a grand total of 1500 calories in one setting!!!

It was crazy. I felt horrible and was SO tempted to give up on all of my weight loss efforts thus far. BUT, I didn't. I had to realize that this is a lifelong process and I won't be eating steamed veggies and fish every day of my life. The KEY is to get back on the wagon and start fresh and don't give up no matter what your brain is telling you.

It really is a change in mindset.
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    I have found, at least for myself, if I am not totally obsessive about my weight loss journey, I fall off the wagon.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    I'm this way... i'm in for a good week then take a "rest day" that lasts 2 months... not this time!!! Right now I am extremely motivated.... This site has really helped me... I think I am more addicted to this site then facebook, which is good!!
  • I have the same problem...I either have a great day or if I feel like I screwed up by eating too much I just keep eating and it just gets worse.
    This is so me! I'm getting too old to keep doing this. I start out so good and so motivated and then I fizzle..I'm fizzled right now but tomorrow is a new day and I'll try to do better.

Just relax...no one can eat well all the time. We all have to have our cake and eat it too. After "screwing up" , just reset and try to do better at the next meal. Quit being so hard on yourself, that just causes more stress and more eating and more stress and more......
  • wowza1
    wowza1 Posts: 16
    hi

yes, i am always totally in or totally out....hence yo yo dieting and going up and down the scale...i think if we fall off the wagon one day, or even two....we have to kick our butss to get back right into it
    :):):)Leanne Thats the beauty here at MFP....all the amazing help and support