So how much rest do I need w achilles tendonitis?

Options
So how much rest do I need?

Went to the Doc Friday. Got anti-inflamatories, I've been stretching and I have been staying home pretty much every day resting

my Achilles tendons on ice off and on. It felts better but I'm still walking slowly. Don't know if I should stay on my feet or

not.Thinking of going to the gym to do an upper body workout but I need to get better since i need to go back to work next week

. I'm a teacher so I'm always on my feet.OMG last year I had a neck injury and had to take two months of off work at about this

same time now I have this tendon problem. UGH:( Dont know why?????? Any encouraging words or advice?

Replies

• RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh Brenda, do I know about all of that. I'm a teacher too, so much standing and being overweight is a bad combo. Something that helps me is to sit a desk in the front of the room and sit on it while pointing to the smart board as much as I can. Some teachers have director's chairs that they teach from. I love to stand and move around, but it's hard. It's also hard to get up and stand because it hurts my feet if I sit for too long and then get up. I can't wait to feel lighter on these puppies.

You can always do the upper body workout sitting in a chair with a pair of little dumbbells or bands at home. That will save you the pain of walking in and out of the gym.

What kind of footwear do you have? Did the doctor give you arch supports? If so, I find that it helps cushion them a little to take the soft insole that comes with the shoe and lay it on top of the hard A** arch supports. Otherwise I can't get through the day with them.

Ruth
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had it as well, the arch supports help loads. My doctor also noticed I was using the sketcher's shape ups, and he said they were very good support and cushioning. To get completely better, to were it wasn't killing me all the time, it took about two weeks of putting just as much weight as I had to on it. Everyone's different though, and the anti inflammatories will do wonders.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Wow you are a teacher too. That is awesome. I know I cant wait to get lighter too so my feet dont have so much weight on them. The dumbbells and bands sound like a good idea. I also though about a beginners yoga dvd.

I went to San Antonio Shoes and bought some expensive supportive shoes (spent about 115 dollars) . They feel better then any shoes I have and I can walk around the house with them. The doctor did not give me arch support . He did not take an xray either. I'm thinking about seeing another doc just in case. Maybe I need special arch support for my feet.

I've done research and it looks like this type of injury can take a while to heal. I'm just worried about how much I can do and how much I can not do. i see that some people go back to their activity soon though. Maybe I need to do physical therapy...don't know.

I'm just paranoid because its time to go back to school and my health once again is making it hard for me. I think I will just take it one day at a time. I just don't want to rest to much then when its time to work my muscles are too weak. I think I am just worrying too much. I know there has got to be other people with the same problem that are going back to work.

When I hurt my neck I lost a lot of muscle and it took me a while to walk normal and move normal without pain . So I think I am just having flashbacks. This is no where close to the pain I had with the neck issue so I should try to relax. :)

Brenda
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you discuss this with your Podiatrist or whichever clinician treated you. Medical advice is best left with the real doctors who treated you....
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I had it as well, the arch supports help loads. My doctor also noticed I was using the sketcher's shape ups, and he said they were very good support and cushioning. To get completely better, to were it wasn't killing me all the time, it took about two weeks of putting just as much weight as I had to on it. Everyone's different though, and the anti inflammatories will do wonders.

Thank for the info . I will look into those shape up and arch support. The only thing I am wondering about is does the back of the

shoe rub on the tendon? I have Nikes that I wear to the gym and although I loose the laces there is a bit of rubbing on the tendon.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you have a shoe store called The Walking Company or Happy Feet near you, those places have really good insoles. I get my favorites from The Walking Company. They have a machine you stand on that gives them an idea of an insole that will work with your feet. The Dr. Scholl's stuff is garbage. The Walking Company also has really nice thick ones. Ironically, I wear hiking boots to school (I'm a teacher too) with my insoles and boy has it helped. I also have one foot that seems to have an inflammation. I even had the tendon injected and they made me wear a boot for like two months as they said it was a sprain. I think I caused it by driving my two hour commute every day and also by having too much weight. The first thing the doc said was that I had to loose weight as that most likely was causing the issue. I don't know what you're podiatrist said. Mine told me to ice it. I usually do that and take Motrin. I find that if I wear good insoles and my walking boots, I don't have that much pain - only if I'm barefoot. I'm going to slowly lose the weight first as there isn't anything they can do generally if you're overweight. Unfortunately, we're in the situation where our feet are taking up too much stress. It sucks.

Monica
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Too funny, I just realized that I now try to sit more too! Last year I tried to set up my classes to do more group or independent work and I varied it to give my feet a break. I think the biggest problem we have is that most classes have hard floors. Hmm. I wonder if that's why my boots make such a difference. I've actually been tempted to get those padded mats to put on the floor but then I'd have to take them up daily. Sigh.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    If you have a shoe store called The Walking Company or Happy Feet near you, those places have really good insoles. I get my favorites from The Walking Company. They have a machine you stand on that gives them an idea of an insole that will work with your feet. The Dr. Scholl's stuff is garbage. The Walking Company also has really nice thick ones. Ironically, I wear hiking boots to school (I'm a teacher too) with my insoles and boy has it helped. I also have one foot that seems to have an inflammation. I even had the tendon injected and they made me wear a boot for like two months as they said it was a sprain. I think I caused it by driving my two hour commute every day and also by having too much weight. The first thing the doc said was that I had to loose weight as that most likely was causing the issue. I don't know what you're podiatrist said. Mine told me to ice it. I usually do that and take Motrin. I find that if I wear good insoles and my walking boots, I don't have that much pain - only if I'm barefoot. I'm going to slowly lose the weight first as there isn't anything they can do generally if you're overweight. Unfortunately, we're in the situation where our feet are taking up too much stress. It sucks.

Monica

Unfortunately they do not have those store here in San Antonio but I will keep looking. Im going to look into those hiking boots.I actually went to a regular doctor but Im just going to go ahead make an appointment tomorrow to see a podiatrist.

The floors in the school building are definitely too hard. Padded mats seems like a good idea. I might try that or little carpets around the room.

Yes teaching does cause to much stress on the feet. When I taught my first year I never sat down.I came home with hurt feet everyday. Its hard to find comfy shoes. My second year I sat down more because I had to since my neck was hurt. This year I might never get up. J/k I do have to walk around.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you discuss this with your Podiatrist or whichever clinician treated you. Medical advice is best left with the real doctors who treated you....

High 5!
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Depends on severity and what you're doing now. Mine was 5-6 weeks before I could run on it properly :o(

However I was able to do leg-based cardio after the first week (bike and rowing machine) then gradually progress into crosstrainer and elliptical.

You cannot rush it, unfortunately, as it's a very tricky place to heal properly and can reinjure very quickly. Work with your doctor / physio and a rehabilitation plan.
  • imcatbear
    Options
    I have chronic tendonitis or tendenosis b/c of the way my heel bone is shaped, so I deal with this too often.

Under ironic: NSAIDS (anti inflam meds like advil) make you swell more, which at least for me, makes it worse. I've been taking Bromelain, a pineapple enzyme, limiting my salt intake, and taking time to put my feet up (higher than my heart) for at least 1.5hrs a day. I also supplement with glucosaine/chondroitin, all of which my podiatrist supports and says it couldn't hurt.

I changed my workout to swimming for the time being. Is that possible for you? Swimming freestyle and breast stroke give some of the best burns.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options

Yes true...going to look into it.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I have chronic tendonitis or tendenosis b/c of the way my heel bone is shaped, so I deal with this too often.

Under ironic: NSAIDS (anti inflam meds like advil) make you swell more, which at least for me, makes it worse. I've been taking Bromelain, a pineapple enzyme, limiting my salt intake, and taking time to put my feet up (higher than my heart) for at least 1.5hrs a day. I also supplement with glucosaine/chondroitin, all of which my podiatrist supports and says it couldn't hurt.

I changed my workout to swimming for the time being. Is that possible for you? Swimming freestyle and breast stroke give some of the best burns.

:) swimming sounds good.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have had tendonitis in my heel when i was about 14 while doing alot of gymnastics, i feel very sorry for you! The pain was totally unbearable for me esspecially when trying to walk down stairs first thing on a morning. I had quite a lot of physio for a few months i think, a cheaper way of getting arch supports is to buy thick onesided sticky felt and create a little support for yourself and stcik it in your socks. Prob isnt the best thing you can do but its alot cheaper. I also was told to roll a tennis ball under my feet with my toes flexed backwards to stretch out my flat arches and to fold a tea towel on the floor only using my toes. The pain definaitely took a fair few months to go away completely and even now 10 yrs on if ive been on my feet alot during the day i can feel it twinging.

I also used to make little ice cubes using small polystyrene cups so u can massage it round your heels and achilles without freezing your fingers off! Icing your feet then plunging into warm water is also soothing for the pain i found.

I was also told that salt water works.. I ended up going to the beach (in the north east of england!) and paddling in the sea during winter to help with the pain. It certainly numbed it.. Anyway, im not sure whether my gym coach was pulling my leg with that suggestion but i still did it.

Hopefully these suggestions will help with the pain at home. I didnt take many pain killers and wasnt prescribed antiinflammatories.

Good luck,

Adele
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I have had tendonitis in my heel when i was about 14 while doing alot of gymnastics, i feel very sorry for you! The pain was totally unbearable for me esspecially when trying to walk down stairs first thing on a morning. I had quite a lot of physio for a few months i think, a cheaper way of getting arch supports is to buy thick onesided sticky felt and create a little support for yourself and stcik it in your socks. Prob isnt the best thing you can do but its alot cheaper. I also was told to roll a tennis ball under my feet with my toes flexed backwards to stretch out my flat arches and to fold a tea towel on the floor only using my toes. The pain definaitely took a fair few months to go away completely and even now 10 yrs on if ive been on my feet alot during the day i can feel it twinging.

I also used to make little ice cubes using small polystyrene cups so u can massage it round your heels and achilles without freezing your fingers off! Icing your feet then plunging into warm water is also soothing for the pain i found.

I was also told that salt water works.. I ended up going to the beach (in the north east of england!) and paddling in the sea during winter to help with the pain. It certainly numbed it.. Anyway, im not sure whether my gym coach was pulling my leg with that suggestion but i still did it.

Hopefully these suggestions will help with the pain at home. I didnt take many pain killers and wasnt prescribed antiinflammatories.

Good luck,

Adele

Thanks! very good advice . I will try a few of these. I have an appointment with the podiatrist on Monday so hopefully i can get a better understanding of what i have and what I can do about it.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Depends on severity and what you're doing now. Mine was 5-6 weeks before I could run on it properly :o(

However I was able to do leg-based cardio after the first week (bike and rowing machine) then gradually progress into crosstrainer and elliptical.

You cannot rush it, unfortunately, as it's a very tricky place to heal properly and can reinjure very quickly. Work with your doctor / physio and a rehabilitation plan.

Thanks for the advice. Going to see the podiatrist Monday. Ive been doing a lot of research on line and I notice runners usually get this injury and they seem so positive about it. Like they are just worried about how long will it take before they can run again. Some seem to still train even when they are hurting. Im not a runner. I use to be in High School(crosscountry) but im just worried about my daily life of getting up and going to work. i really do not want to make it worst.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Just fair warning, the podiatrist usually sells custom insoles and they can easily run 300 bucks a pop. If they have a Happy Feet or one of the higher end stores that sells orthodic style shoes...you can probably find a place that has the machine to figure out the insoles for your feet. I go through like 3 every year so I decided to go this route which was cheaper for me.

Monica
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    No advice on how much to rest, but I have a chronic tendonopathy in my right foot. It flares up at times to the point where I'm in tears. I do take pain medication daily for it, and about once a year I end up with a medrol dose pack. I do take NSAIDS as needed as well as the other pain meds. Without them, I couldn't work or work out. I'm on my feet constantly (nurse), so I can relate to that too.

Did you see a podiatrist or your regular doctor? You might need to see a podiatrist if this continues.

Good luck.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    There is a place called Foot Solutions in your area. They have the same machine that they use that maps your feet as the other store. I can see why you wouldn't go to the Walking Company. I guess Austin must be a big drive for you. :(

Here's the link I found: http://www.yellowpages.com/san-antonio-tx/mip/foot-solutions-10121717?lid=10121717

Hope this helps!

Monica
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just fair warning, the podiatrist usually sells custom insoles and they can easily run 300 bucks a pop. If they have a Happy Feet or one of the higher end stores that sells orthodic style shoes...you can probably find a place that has the machine to figure out the insoles for your feet. I go through like 3 every year so I decided to go this route which was cheaper for me.

Monica

Mine actually gave me a wedge to place under my original insole for free, so possibly ask about that. Also, Dr Sholls has some very nice supportive full insoles. Don't buy the $50 ones though, unless you have your heart set on them. I got a set for very overweight men from them, and the arch and foot support was great, plus they only cost around $15-20 at walmart. Should ask the podiatrist what he recommends though :)