Is my goal realistic?

Options
I'm extremely new to this whole weight loss thing, only been doing it a couple of days!

MFP advised that I eat 1520 Calories per day.
I want to exercise 120 mins per week swimming, as well as doing 10 sit ups per day to start with, and 30 step ups per day. As well as occasionally going on the Wii Fit for a bit of fun.

I weigh about 190lbs, and I want to weigh 140lbs...

If I eat my daily allowance of calories... and then exercise, burning the calories... if I ate more, would that balance out the exercise, therefore not losing any weight at all?

Should I be aiming to eat my full 1520 (or just under) and then exercise on top, and that is it? So that I'm under each day?

Any help will be appreciated - I'm trying so hard to shift this weight!

Replies

• SJP9180
    SJP9180 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have never used all of my exercise points. I do sometimes use up to half of them, but I have found that by not using them all, the weight comes off quicker. I guess it depends on how quickly you want the weight to come off. But I am very much of the opinion that the slower the weight comes off, the easier it is to keep it off.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • karamaye
    karamaye Posts: 14
    Options
    For a while I was just eating my given calories (1520 for you) and exercising and not eating back the calories I burned. I didn't lose a pound for 3 weeks. I think it was because my body was in "hold on to everything bc we're not getting enough" mode. So I started eating back the calories that I burned and I immediately had a drop on the scale. I still stay a little under just because for me-- I do an hour in the pool which burns nearly 800 calories for me and sometimes it's just impossible to eat that much. But for the most part- eat your given calories, eat back what you burn and don't go over, and drink water and you should have a steady weight loss.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Its not really your caloric intake, its what you intake to get those calories. I suggest you contact a doc if you can to get your bloodwork done to see if you have any problems what may cause you issues if you go on a strict diet. Then cut out carbs, sugars and dairy. It sounds crazy and you will have a few tough days in the beginning but its not bad at all. Fruits in the morning, veggies and lean meats will get you through... I think your caloric intake sounds too high for the small amount of burn you will be doing.....
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    The deficent is already built in when you set up your goals. Its also your choice wether you want to eat back your exercise calories or not. Some days i do but most days i barely dip into them.
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally I use the following calculator -

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I am 5'4, CW is 176 GW is 140, 30yrs old

I workout 5 days a week, 30-40min per workout

I have set my cals at about 1900 cals.

I do enter my exercise in MFP, but because I have already calculated those calories burned into my daily allowance, I do not eat back my exercise cals.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    For a while I was just eating my given calories (1520 for you) and exercising and not eating back the calories I burned. I didn't lose a pound for 3 weeks. I think it was because my body was in "hold on to everything bc we're not getting enough" mode. So I started eating back the calories that I burned and I immediately had a drop on the scale. I still stay a little under just because for me-- I do an hour in the pool which burns nearly 800 calories for me and sometimes it's just impossible to eat that much. But for the most part- eat your given calories, eat back what you burn and don't go over, and drink water and you should have a steady weight loss.

Unless you are UNDER 5% body fat, theres really not a way you can be under your caloric intake and not burn fat... if you eat healthy, not fatty and low carb meals, you should be burning fat if you have any type of physical activity. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% work out.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely new to this whole weight loss thing, only been doing it a couple of days!

I want to exercise 120 mins per week swimming, as well as doing 10 sit ups per day to start with, and 30 step ups per day. As well as occasionally going on the Wii Fit for a bit of fun.

If I eat my daily allowance of calories... and then exercise, burning the calories... if I ate more, would that balance out the exercise, therefore not losing any weight at all?

Should I be aiming to eat my full 1520 (or just under) and then exercise on top, and that is it? So that I'm under each day?

MFP builds in a calorie deficit based on your activity level and goals, so you CAN eat every single calorie you are allowed...then you can eat your exercise calories but still lose.

My initial calorie allowance is 1490...and sometimes on a particularly active day I will end up eating over 2000 calories and still not net 1200 for the day!
  • gendril
    gendril Posts: 12
    Options
    I would just ensure that you dont go over your limit for a day.

If I can give you one advice that have saved me from being hungry even after workout is to cut away most your carbohydrate intake and instead increase your protein intake.

The reason for this is that protein stills your hunger for longer periods of time and removing carbohydrate stabilises your blood sugar levels and insoline production, which helps you from craving sugar and getting tired between meals.

My diet consist almost purely of vegetables and lean meats like chicken, tuna etc. with some nuts (almonds) and fruit for snacks. It has helped me greatly in keeping my diet.

Ohh and its a good idea to start out slow so you dont loose your motivation.

Hope it helps
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    When I put in my goals, I said I wanted to lose 1lbs per week, as that is what was recommended. Is that too small an amount? It means it'd take me almost a year to lose 49lbs... That seems quite a long time!

I think I may be doing too less exercise? Should I increase?

2 swimming sessions of 60mins each.
    Starting on 20 sit ups per day, increasing in multiples of 5.
    Step ups for 15 mins per day.

I do suffer from asthma, so I can't really go running... I may try some jogging. But I do like to walk - even walking at a fast pace sometimes sets off my asthma!

I only work part time - 18 hours per week - and I'm on my feet walking around for all of that. I don't count that in my intake though - should I? When I go to University - 3 days per week - I have to walk to the station, then when I'm in Greenwich I get off at 1 stop early, to walk to my University.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That 1500 cal will still be a deficit of about 500 cal per day, so theoretically even if you eat back your exercise cals you should still lose weight.

However, beware how many cals it says you burn for exercise! Often the exercises in the database here estimate on the high side so if you eat back all it tells you for exercise you could end up going over.

I have a heart rate monitor I use for all my exercise if for no other reason than to be consistent - I don't swim though ( yet!), that would be harder to estimate as hrm isn't waterproof!

You will hear a lot of different theories bandied about here, but my advice would be to try a few different things and figure out what works for you. Remember - we're not all clones, the same techniques won't work for everyone. Just be sure to stay healthy - better to lose it slowly an keep it off than yoyo!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

a lot of this is trial by error. you'll have to experiment and see how you feel on a week to week basis. actually, doing a 3 week to 3 week experiment is best, because it takes a while for your body to adjust to food and exercise.

personally, i'd come as close as possible to that calorie goal. don't be afraid to go over just a few calories. i like eating my exercise calories. actually, i drink them, in a protein shake. protein shakes aren't just for body builders, they are good for all type of athletes.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have these spreadsheets and instructions on how to figure out your BMR, TDEE and all the other important things about losing weight. And there is a set of instruction that Dan posted a while back on how to do this weight loss thing. It has worked excellent for me, and now I am starting to build muscle and lose fat, and my inches are changing quickly...
    Good luck, have fun with this, and do what I didn't do:
    Take pictures of yourself now (I didn't cause I didn't like looking at myself, but I regret it now) and update your pics about every two weeks.
    Keep a log of your body fat percentages and what exercise you do, this will help later one when it comes down to, not weight, but body fat!
    And, most importantly, have fun while learning how to eat right and live right.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit