STARVING after work

Options
I do really good at work controlling my calories, but when I get home I am STARVING and just want to grab whatever is in my face. Most days I can just throw together dinner and be ok. But some days when dinner takes longer I end up grabbing a bunch of junk and then I'm not hungry for dinner.

Does anyone else have this problem after getting home from work/school? I don't know if this is a habit (I used to come home from school when I was younger and eat) or if I need to find a new strategy to keep from blowing my calories the minute I get home.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead - either have your dinner prepared so that you can eat it quickly, or have some healthy snacks available to tide you over while you cook.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've started doing my workout right after I get home, could you maybe do that while dinner's in the oven or simmering on the stove? That way you could stay busy and resist the urge to snack. Maybe not a full workout, but you could at least do some crunches or squats, pushups, etc.

I like the PP's idea to have healthy snacks on hand as well. Munch on some carrot sticks or apple slices. Factor in this late afternoon snack when planning your calories for the day. Another option would be to incorporate a salad into your dinner meal and go ahead and eat it while everything else is cooking.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't getting enough calories during the day. You shouldn't be "starving" if you've properly fed yourself. I would evaluate what you are having for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need a mid afternoon healthy snack. I know if I let myself get too hungry, I'll grab anything that is available and it's usually not healthy. Try spreading your calories and having a mid afternoon snack and see if that helps.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try keeping something very healthy, either in the car or in the office fridge for the drive home. Carrot sticks, celery sticks, grapes, or even pop some popcorn for the ride home. That way when you walk in the door, you aren't attacking the fridge.
  • Roseysue
    Roseysue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I have a healthy breakfast, lunch and a snack around 2 or 3 but will still be ravenous when I get home from work. I've tried a couple things that seem to help - at least for me. 1st - I exercise. That seems counter intuitive but for some weird reason it resets my hunger signals. If that doesn't do the trick and dinner is still a way off, I'll have a smoothie made with 100 calorie whey protein, water and frozen fruit. It's yummie and isn't high in calories and the fluid seems to fill up my tummy so I can get by till dinner. I hope that helps.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eating after work and before dinner got me to my starting weight. I would recommend a healthy snack as you prepare dinner and a good dose of self control which will be easier due to the snack. A piece of fruit, string cheese, and a tall glass of water will do wonders. I also do a granola bar if I'm going to workout in the afternoon.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What are you eating primarily during the day? I find I don't get hunger pangs or food cravings when there is more protein and fiber than carbs in my food intake. And when I do have carbs, I try to keep them complex as much as possible.
  • LeesyHF13
    LeesyHF13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing every day & even the health snack doesn't work at 6pm on the train on the way home. What I've found is that a big glass of water & some slices of ham or a mini babybel light make me feel less deprived and I can make it through to dinner then. It works for me & I know that the reason the healthy snack doesn't satisfy me is that I'm after mouth feel & salt more than calories.

Keep strong & find a strategy that works for you. Listen to your body - if you don't want carrot sticks when you walk through the door (I sure don't after I've worked hard all day!), have a big glass of water and a low fat protein based snack like me and if that doesn't work for you have some nice low cal high flavour crisps or an individually wrapped flap jack. Just have one & promise yourself that you'll not have anything else for at least 20 mins so it has time to hit your body and deal with your starvation sensation.

Trial and erro but you'll get there! :happy:
  • liovino330
    liovino330 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I was about to post this when I saw the message. The tips sound great. I think my main problem is that I don't have dinner "planned" before I get home, so the husband and I go back and forth with the "what do you want for dinner" questions. I, too, am bad about grabbing something unhealthy. Thanks for the post!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Fail to plan, plan to fail!

I am the same way and always shove an extra protein bar or oatmeal that I fix myself when my day is over, before I head home. I need something to tide me over! That also helps since I choose to work out right before dinner. I can't wait THAT long! :)
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    No, your not alone! I thought it was me writing this blog!

I have the same problem, sometimes worst than others. I probably need to eat a protein snackbefore leaving work>
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungriest after work too! Drives me bananas! What really gets me through is to make sure my afternoon snack is high in protein and healthy fats. I'll have a greek yogurt or protein shake with nuts. That keeps me satisfied until dinner. Also, I make sure to eat my afternoon snack right before I leave work (around 3 or 4). That buys me plenty of time until dinner.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

Buy healthy things to shove in your mouth when you're hungry.

I keep almonds and cashews in the pantry to eat when I get home and while I'm cooking.

Five of them and half a glass of skim milk or water and I'm fine.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungriest after work too! Drives me bananas! What really gets me through is to make sure my afternoon snack is high in protein and healthy fats. I'll have a greek yogurt or protein shake with nuts. That keeps me satisfied until dinner. Also, I make sure to eat my afternoon snack right before I leave work (around 3 or 4). That buys me plenty of time until dinner.

Whilst were on the subject of bananas.....

You could eat a banana. :)
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Try eating more during the day. Something with protein. Try having an apple with peanut butter before leaving work to tide you over until dinner is ready.

Or if you have a crockpot, throw dinner in it in the morning and when you get home dinner is ready.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Have you tried a snack about an hour before going home? I used to have this same problem, but a small handful of unsalted almonds does the trick for me. It keeps me full through an afternoon workout too!
  • stacnm
    stacnm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Can totaly relate! I would get home and be HANGRY. (so hungry I was angry :-) I have started to divide my lunch into 2 portions. I eat the first half around normal lunch time and then around 3:30-4ish I have the second portion. And lots and lots and lots of water in between. It took about 2-3 days to adjust, but it has made a big difference for me. Best of luck!
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All great tips! This is the worst time of day for me where I just want to eat anything and everything. Some days I don't even know what I"m craving whether it be sweet or salty so I try it all. LOL If I exercise when I get home then have a protein shake it does help though. I wish this was easier.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I noticed I get hungry at 3:30-4pm nearly everyday so I like to have a banana with natural almond butter, it keeps me full until 6:30 when I usually have dinner.