Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Chick Pea Salad
    1/3 cup chick peas
    tomato
    cucumber
    avocado
    1/4 cup shredded cheese

Last time I made it I didn't have avocado and it was 185 cals, when I added it all up.
  • drcnestor
    Options
    Fresh baby spinach, eggs, kiwi
    truvia(sugar subsitute), Crystal Light ( a must Have)
    Almonds (raw natural...a must have), beans( black or red)
    Uncle Sams cereal (yum ) Almond milk (way better than Soy)
  • Slim34
    Slim34 Posts: 46
    Options
    Fresh baby spinach, eggs, kiwi
    truvia(sugar subsitute), Crystal Light ( a must Have)
    Almonds (raw natural...a must have), beans( black or red)
    Uncle Sams cereal (yum ) Almond milk (way better than Soy)

Almond milk , do U use it just like regular milk ??
  • Slim34
    Options
    Chick Pea Salad
    1/3 cup chick peas
    tomato
    cucumber
    avocado
    1/4 cup shredded cheese

Last time I made it I didn't have avocado and it was 185 cals, when I added it all up.

Do U buy the chick peas in a can or can U buy them frozen ?? This sounds tasty, I'm gonna have to try this .. thanks
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    spinach, romaine lettuce
    asparagus, broccoli, green beans, eggplant
    extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar
    eggs
    pink grapefruit, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, pineapple, cherries, prunes
    whole almonds, whole cashews, trail mix
    almond milk
    brown rice, wild brown rice, quinoa
    tinkyada brown rice pasta
    potatoes, sweet potatoe
    salmon, chicken breast
    ground turkey meat
    mango sorbet,
    rice cake, almond butter
    amy's pizza
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Yoguart
    Bananas
    Blueberries
    Bell peppers
    Lunchmeat
    Fat Free cheese
    Low Cal bread
    Kashi - 7 Whole Grain Puffs
    Whole almonds
    Chicken breast
    brown rice
    thin pizza crust (to make homemade pizza)
    can of plain tomato sauce (for the homemade pizza, season with your own seasonings)
    100 cal snack packs (chips ahoy, oreo)
    Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Chick Pea Salad
    1/3 cup chick peas
    tomato
    cucumber
    avocado
    1/4 cup shredded cheese

Do U buy the chick peas in a can or can U buy them frozen ?? This sounds tasty, I'm gonna have to try this .. thanks

I use the Goya brand in a can, most likely found in the 'ethnic' isle. Oh and I forgot cilantro...it looks like parsley and can be found in the produce section, awesome taste and virtually no calories, unless you eat the whole bunch, then it's like 4 cals.

And if I want to add a kick to it, I'll add banana peppers as well (from a jar).
  • Slim34
    Options
    Chick Pea Salad
    1/3 cup chick peas
    tomato
    cucumber
    avocado
    1/4 cup shredded cheese

I use the Goya brand in a can, most likely found in the 'ethnic' isle. Oh and I forgot cilantro...it looks like parsley and can be found in the produce section, awesome taste and virtually no calories, unless you eat the whole bunch, then it's like 4 cals.

And if I want to add a kick to it, I'll add banana peppers as well (from a jar).

I deff like a lil "zing" .. thanks
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    if y'all buy veggies or beans in a can.....rinse them under cold water to reduce the sodium.

I like canned chick peas for salad and to make hummus.

my grocery list must haves:

baby carrots
    hummus
    cheese
    triscuits
    bagged lettuce and baby spinach
    fruit
    yogurt
    water
    pepperidge farms low cal bread.
    OH....almost forgot................Natural Peanut Butter.......mmmmmmmm

I learned on here to shop the perimeter 1st. All the fresh wholesome stuff is on the perimeter of the store. I start with the bakery for whole grain bread, pick up my PB, get my deli meats for the week, on to fruits and veggies and bagged lettuce. next is cheese and milk, yogurt and cottage cheese. The fish counter and then meats.

i do buy a lot of frozen, micro in the bag veggies because of time. although fresh veggies nuke up in the same time in a bowl with a bit of water or lemon.

Good luck! Jeannie
  • Slim34
    Options
    if y'all buy veggies or beans in a can.....rinse them under cold water to reduce the sodium.

I like canned chick peas for salad and to make hummus.

my grocery list must haves:

baby carrots
    hummus
    cheese
    triscuits

bagged lettuce and baby spinach
    fruit
    yogurt
    water
    pepperidge farms low cal bread.
    OH....almost forgot................Natural Peanut Butter.......mmmmmmmm

I learned on here to shop the perimeter 1st. All the fresh wholesome stuff is on the perimeter of the store. I start with the bakery for whole grain bread, pick up my PB, get my deli meats for the week, on to fruits and veggies and bagged lettuce. next is cheese and milk, yogurt and cottage cheese. The fish counter and then meats.

i do buy a lot of frozen, micro in the bag veggies because of time. although fresh veggies nuke up in the same time in a bowl with a bit of water or lemon.

Good luck! Jeannie

Can U tell me how exactly how U use the "hummus" ?? I have seen it and picked it up and put it back. I hear on this site its a really GOOD fat just like avocado's.
  • mcwatsonus
    Options
    Great ideas...Crysal Light is a must have but up until now I have hated nuts. I guess I will be reevaluating my taste buds because that has been a recurring "good snack option"...Thanks and WE can do this.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Orowheat dill rye bread
    laughing cow cheese wedges
    tomatoes
    turkey lunchmeat

Make into a grilled cheese sandwich--I don't even use butter. The laughing cow gives it a wonderful creamy feeling and the tomatoes make it juicy!
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually use the hummus for a dip with whole grain pretzles or crackers. or to dip fresh veggies like sliced bell peppers or baby carrots
  • Slim34
    Options
    I usually use the hummus for a dip with whole grain pretzles or crackers. or to dip fresh veggies like sliced bell peppers or baby carrots

Do U ever use it a spread for a wrap ??

thanks a bunch ..
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I've started having to totally different shopping lists - one is staples like the following:
    Frozen blue berries (no sugar added)
    Frozen veggies like green beans, broccoli, peas, baby Lima's,chopped spinach and corn. I get them in the box because they seem to keep better.
    Pasta - either whole grain or low carb (dreams field)
    Canned goods - chopped or diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa, beans (like chick peas), sliced olives (little can), chopped green chili peppers, mushrooms (small cans).
    Soups - low fat cream of mushroom, veggie soup, lentil soups.
    Beans - I buy some canned and some dried
    Rice - brown rice!

Then I have a fresh list that I use for my day to day shopping. I try to keep the above in stock (I go to a big box store - BJs but a Costco or Sam's club is the same idea) and I try to only go once a month or less. The week to week (sometimes a couple times a week) is to get the fresh foods -

Meat - chicken breasts, turkey breast (whole not deli), fish
    Veggies - baby spinach and mixed greens for salads, fresh veggies like artichoke and asparagus for nicer meals and cauliflower and broccoli for every day (and Brussels sprouts etc)
    Bread - I'll sometimes pick up rosemary rolls that I can use sparingly for the weeks meals.
    Onions and Garlic (I go through a lot of these)
    Cheese (I go through too much of this LOL!)
    WINE - it's fun picking out a nice bottle every week or so. I drink "Black Box" red wine for my 'house' wine - it's decent and because it's in a box I can have just one glass and not feel like we should finish the bottle. But I love finding new wines for a nice meal - I usually don't spend more than about $12 on a bottle so I'm looking to see what's on sale.

Edited to mention that we have venison for red meat - so I'm not all fish and chicken, we have most of the venison ground and it's in the deep freezer.
  • leesapeesa
    Options
  • leesapeesa
    Options

Do U ever use it a spread for a wrap ??

thanks a bunch ..

hummus is great as a sandwich spread. I also use it on the wheat thins flat bread crackers. it comes in so many flavors- garlic, cracked pepper, lemon, roasted red pepper and so many more.
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My grocery list consists of (I don't get this every week but these are the things I do buy once they run out):

Chicken breasts - frozen or fresh
    Ground Beef - lean
    Bison/Buffalo Burgers
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    Flounder
    Tuna
    Ground Turkey
    Shrimp ( I personally don't eat it to much because of the cholestrol in them but once a month)

1% milk
    Cases of water bottles
    Green tea bags

Kashi Go Lean Crisp and Crunch
    Special "K" Chocolately Delight
    Cheerios

Grapefruit
    Oranges
    Pears
    Apples

Whole Wheat Bread
    Flat Outs