C25k

Options
So, today was week 3 day 2 and I feel like I've made a bit of a mini-breakthrough!

My last couple of sessions I have tried to slow it down a little, my 'natural' pace is quite fast. Today I didn't feel like I was going to die! And it went so fast... I think that slowing down a bit increased my endurance because today I was able to pick up the pace a little bit. It's still my breathing that limits me rather than sore muscles, can't wait till it's the muscles keeping me back!

So some advice to anyone struggling with the C25k would be, slow down and relax a bit. The speed will come later :)

How is everyone else finding it? To those later on in C25k...which week did you find the biggest challenge? So far, I'd say mine was week 1!

Replies

• rumandreason
    rumandreason Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think those first few weeks are the hardest. Once you get to that breakthrough you are talking about, it never seems that hard again. I'm half way thru Bridge2 10K now and still piece of cake compared to the few couple of weeks of C25K
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 6 Day 3(22 minute or 2.25 mile run).

It is tough.. and I have to slow down a lot as well. If I don't, then I burn out fast and I know it.

I think the toughest week for me was week 4.. the 5 minute intervals seemed really long and like they would never end. Half the time I wondered if my app stopped working because it felt like I was running forever!
  • CamaroZ28c
    CamaroZ28c Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last week. I think that first jump from 10Rs to a 20R was the biggest mental hurdle I had. I now feel like I settle into my groove at around 1.5 miles and the next 1.5 miles goes pretty easily. After awhile of maintaining 3 miles, I plan to start bumping up the distance again.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is always work on either speed or distance, not both. A distance run (and in c25k they're all distance runs because you're always running farther than you did the last time) should never be at your fastest pace. You should be able to speak in complete sentences while running at a distance pace. Maybe not carry on a conversation, but at least get a sentence out. One of the hardest things for new runners is to slow it down for long runs. I still have hard time with this. I tend to want to run my 5k pace for longer runs, and this sometimes results in me having to walk or not finishing a seven or eight miler. If you can master pacing you're more than halfway to mastering the mental side of running. I wouldn't even call that mini-breakthrough, I think you just hit on one of the most important aspects of the sport.
  • Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Week 5 was my hardest, but I kept pushing through and made it to the end. :) you can do it!! Just keep with it!! I have a ladies only support group on FB and we have a few ladies doing c25k. If you are interested in joining, just send me a message, we would love to have you!! :)