CHICKEN SHALL NOT BE NAMED

Options

Replies

• cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    whats the deal here? I live in canada and we dont have this place...

Same in UK

Chick-Fil-A is a US fast food chain that has recently come under fire for their stance on gay marriage. This has caused many to boycott them. That is as much as I dare say in an open post because, as the OP hinted, threads discussing the topic in depth have had a tendency to get locked very quickly. If you want to know more about it, I suggest Google.

for the CEO's stance on gay marriare, not the company. He doesnt speak for everyone that works for him, please get that right.

True, my mistake

Are you guys sure you're really part of MFP? You are being civil and reasonable, and that doesn't usually happen on the open forum.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The boycott is not because of the CEO's opinions, it is because they have donated over 5 million dollars of company money to fund hate groups and fight legislation that would give basic human rights to all people. When you give them your business you are helping them fund these things. Some people actually want to fund these things, and turned out in large numbers yesterday. Others do not, and are boycotting. I have never eaten there, and now that I know where the money goes, I am glad of that.

So the plan of action is to attack the lively hood of 20000 people who DID not or may not donate money to these groups?

The boycott does not hurt the CEO's pocket book and wont stop it. What it does do is jeopardize the livelihood of 20000 middle class Americans. Should they just be unemployed instead of holding down their current job?

Hey but who cares as long as we make our point! Collateral damage is acceptable as long as its not in my back yard.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    The boycott is not because of the CEO's opinions, it is because they have donated over 5 million dollars of company money to fund hate groups and fight legislation that would give basic human rights to all people.

Can you help me find out more about the $5m donations? I've seen this claim a few times but I haven't been able to bump into the source. I want to verify it as much as possible before I speak about it. Yesterday someone pointed me to a blog that had details of $1,000 that was given to a Family Research Center. I doubt if that was a large enough donation to do anything but buy some donuts but $5m could be substantial.

Is this it? It talks about the $5m given to fund displaced children and economically disadvantaged youth with scholarships, along with funding the College Football Hall of Fame.
    http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/GivingBack/CharitableGiving.aspx
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    In_before_the_lock_by_dantiscus.gif
  • CrueChix
    CrueChix Posts: 47
    Options
    hello, why is there a boycott?
    The owner of the company believes in the "traditional" sense of marriage and family. He stated that out loud, so now he has been branded a homophobe. I may not believe in his position, but I do believe in his right to free speech and have his own opinion. Even if it is unpopular. That is what makes America great.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Can you help me find out more about the $5m donations? I've seen this claim a few times but I haven't been able to bump into the source. I want to verify it as much as possible before I speak about it. Yesterday someone pointed me to a blog that had details of $1,000 that was given to a Family Research Center. I doubt if that was a large enough donation to do anything but buy some donuts but $5m could be substantial.

Here's a link that someone sent me:
    http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001

I looked at their financial associations, then went to those individual websites to see what they're about.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    :frown: I thought you were going to talk about naming the chickens you raise for food...we have ten chickens and we've named four of them. There's: Fluffybutt, Red, Gumbo and Whitey (who is actually blonde). :laugh:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    In this case, no one is hurting TPTB by boycotting. They ARE hurting the local franchise owners who are trying to run a successful business and employ locals. What should they do? Close up their livelihood because they don't agree with a certain view held by the person they bought the franchise off of? Not very practical. I don't like collateral damage. Unless you can prove the owners of the franchise subscribe to the same opinions, protest at a corporate headquarters and leave the small business owners alone.

Stop bringing the voice of reason into this! You're spoiling all the hating!

LOLz - yeah, sometimes you just wanna rant, amiright?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

The owner of the company believes in the "traditional" sense of marriage and family. He stated that out loud, so now he has been branded a homophobe. I may not believe in his position, but I do believe in his right to free speech and have his own opinion. Even if it is unpopular. That is what makes America great.

My thoughts exactly.

Chick-fil-A has never hidden the fact that they are a Baptist owned company. It's a given that Baptists are likely to subscribe to certain beliefs.

I am an Atheist. I believe everyone should have the right to marry whomever they love. I have eaten and will continue to eat at Chick-fil-A once the drama blows over.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    :frown: I thought you were going to talk about naming the chickens you raise for food...we have ten chickens and we've named four of them. There's: Fluffybutt, Red, Gumbo and Whitey (who is actually blonde). :laugh:

You should just name them

Stroganoff
    Stir-Fry
    Florantine
    Parmesan
    Roasted with olives garlic andtyme
    Curry

Just name them after dishes. So you can be "Well that right there is Chicken Florantine, that one is Chicken Parmesan"

haha
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My husband had a buddy who lived on a farm when they grew up-oh wait, that sounds like a bad start to a story. Let me try again.

My husband's best friend raised bunnies growing up. They had one named Pete the Stud. Hubby was heartbroken the night they ate Pete the Stud for dinner. hehe Yeah, he's not a chicken but oh well.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you <> I hate you ... it may mean that for some, not me.

In 3 months this ADD country will be on to the next big drama ... no worries ...
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    And for the record....I LOVE chicken, I dont care if a big gay transsexual hermaphrodite serves it to me, or if a downhome redneck anti-gay gun toting biggot serves it to me.

I am just going to eat the chicken.

^^ THIS

And BTW the restarunt was started by a christina family, is closed on sunday b/c of their strong beliefs and advertises their christian cherity info. on their walls. Why are people suprised they are aginst gay marriage?

Eat the chicken or don't eat it and move on
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    In this case, no one is hurting TPTB by boycotting. They ARE hurting the local franchise owners who are trying to run a successful business and employ locals. What should they do? Close up their livelihood because they don't agree with a certain view held by the person they bought the franchise off of? Not very practical. I don't like collateral damage. Unless you can prove the owners of the franchise subscribe to the same opinions, protest at a corporate headquarters and leave the small business owners alone.

Stop bringing the voice of reason into this! You're spoiling all the hating!

OOPS...sorry. :laugh:
  • NoSpandex
    Options
    Also, if you are familiar with reddit.com, a Chik-Fil-A manager gave an interview on the site, and said that franchises are only given to people with the same beliefs as the CEO. Of course, he says that if you want a franchise, and you don't share his beliefs, you just do your homework and pretend that you do. So the franchise owners knew exactly what they were getting into.

Of course, he goes on to say not to worry about them, because there are so many people in this country that agree with him, that nobody will suffer financially (as yesterday proves). Sadly, there are so few Americans who believe in human rights for all people, that our numbers are not great enough to do any damage.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Also, if you are familiar with reddit.com, a Chik-Fil-A manager gave an interview on the site, and said that franchises are only given to people with the same beliefs as the CEO. Of course, he says that if you want a franchise, and you don't share his beliefs, you just do your homework and pretend that you do. So the franchise owners knew exactly what they were getting into.

Of course, he goes on to say not to worry about them, because there are so many people in this country that agree with him, that nobody will suffer financially (as yesterday proves). Sadly, there are so few Americans who believe in human rights for all people, that our numbers are not great enough to do any damage.
    \

First - I am Pro-Gay Marriage

Second- You expect people to respect your groups beliefs, without respecting the fact that they have the right to their beliefs?

If this guy donating 1 billion to women's rights, but donated to anti-gay marriage groups, you think he doesn't respect human rights? Or your mad he just doesn't respect the "human rights" we believe should be legal, but his religious faith make him think otherwise?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.

Chick-fil-A has never hidden the fact that they are a Baptist owned company. It's a given that Baptists are likely to subscribe to certain beliefs.

I am an Atheist. I believe everyone should have the right to marry whomever they love. I have eaten and will continue to eat at Chick-fil-A once the drama blows over.

This, except I identify more with Agnostic
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My hubby made a very valid point regarding this last night and just to make sure I had all my duckies in a row before I said anything, I did a little research.

Just so you know 29.5% of U.S. petroleum comes from Muslim countries.

According to the Muslim religion Homosexuality is the worst of any sin that can be commited. Believe it or not they actually refer to the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah in the Koran.

They penalty for the act of homosexuality is execution according to Islam law.

So here"s my suggestion....quit eating fried chicken, sell your car so as not to support Arabic countries, and buy a bike!

But wait!!!!!! Make sure that bike was not manufactured in ANY country that may have Muslim ties or you will be supporting hate by buying the bike....awe to heck with it don't buy a bike....just walk.:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    My hubby made a very valid point regarding this last night and just to make sure I had all my duckies in a row before I said anything, I did a little research.

Just so you know 29.5% of U.S. petroleum comes from Muslim countries.

According to the Muslim religion Homosexuality is the worst of any sin that can be commited. Believe it or not they actually refer to the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah in the Koran.

They penalty for the act of homosexuality is execution according to Islam law.

So here"s my suggestion....quit eating fried chicken, sell your car so as not to support Arabic countries, and buy a bike!

But wait!!!!!! Make sure that bike was not manufactured in ANY country that may have Muslim ties or you will be supporting hate by buying the bike....awe to heck with it don't buy a bike....just walk.:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh get outta here with your logic.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I for one fully support the boycott of CFA.
    I think MORE people should boycott it.
    That way the line is almost non existant when I go in to get my yummy food.