Turkey Burgers

candacepainter
candacepainter Posts: 115
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I thought about trying turkey burgers tonight for supper but wasn't sure if they were any good? Has anyone tried them?

Replies

• Delicious! Don't need buns with these babies. A little blue cheese added:smile: or cranberries is a nice treat.:smile:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Here's a recipe I posted (a while back) for the turkey burgers I make... I think they're great! :smile:

You'll need:
    1 package Shady Brook Farms 99% fat free ground turkey
    Half of a bag of frozen chopped spinach
    About a cup of chopped onions
    About a cup of chopped mushrooms
    A few squirts of spicy brown mustard
    A dash of worcestershire sauce
    About 2 and a half tablespoons of beef bouillon (I use the sodium free kind)

Defrost, and "ring out" the spinash- I literally took it and squeezed all of the water out over the sink. Mix all ingredients, along with any spices you like (I used oregeno, garlic powder, and black pepper) in a large bowl- make sure it's mixed well. Then, make patties whatever size you like (I flattened the mixture on a cutting board and then used an upside down beer muglaugh as a cookie cutter) and cook them in a frying pan for a couple of minutes.

The turkey can be kind of dry, so by adding the mushrooms, onions and spinach they come out amazing! I do not like spinach at all- it literally makes me gag, but it has no taste in the burgers... just makes them look nice, and taste moist. I had one burger on a wheat bun, and the other just on my plate with ketchup.... they were SO GOOD!

Give it a try if it sounds good, and let me know what you think! happy

*I got 12 burgers out 1 package of turkey. The package says there was 20.8 ounces, and it's 120 calories in 4 ounces. So, by my calculations, with the veggies, mustard, etc. adding very few calories to the burgers, each burger has (it's a high estimate) about 75 calories!!! Obviously, I could have made the burgers larger with more calories in each, but I had 2 for dinner and I'm full! happy
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I thought about trying turkey burgers tonight for supper but wasn't sure if they were any good? Has anyone tried them?

I never particularly cared for turkey burgers, (though it's not bad in meatloaf or sheppard's pie!) but I LOVE chicken burgers! :love: They are soooo tasty! :bigsmile: I stopped eating the regular beef burgers for the most part a good 5 years ago and instead have the chicken burgers!
    At least once a week, my hubby grills himself a burger, and me a chicken burger. :smile: When my son still lived at home, he preferred the chicken burgers too! :smile:
  • ncherokee9
    ncherokee9 Posts: 9 Member
    I eat mine with minced onions and sometimes chopped green peppers, a little salt, pepper, and garlic.. Put it on a nice honey wheat bun with lettuce, tomato, 1 Slice of Kraft Fat Free Singles, topped with Ketchup.... Delicious.... I love them..
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    They are okay but I feel like they need to be flavored up a bit, otherwise I don't really taste anything.
  • smileydays
    smileydays Posts: 37 Member
    I, also, have a recipe that I posted not too long ago here on MFP. I think it is absolutely delicious!

20oz. Lean ground turkey (97 (or more)% fat free, Jennie-O’s is good)
    1 ¼ cup fresh cilantro
    1 cup bread crumbs
    8 tbsp mustard
    3 egg whites
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp Italian seasoning (Only if you use unseasoned bread crumbs)
    ½ bell pepper

1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
    2. Make 9 small patties out of mixture.
    3. Place patties on well oiled grill over medium heat.
    4. Serve as desired (either with whole grain bun, salad, or rice). Enjoy!
  • Here is the recipe I use. It was featured on Oprah. THe green apples give it a nice tangy taste!

http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipessandwiches/20080516_tows_turkeyburger
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    You need to really read the label, sometimes they have more fat and calories than lean beef...............

They can be really dry as well........and you need to spice them up a bit.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I get the Jennie O frozen turkey patties and they are Delish! I love them! Put a little fat free cheese on it with one of those sandwich thins and it's AWESOME! Love it!
  • bump
This discussion has been closed.