last 10lbs- Cardio Vs Strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• sommerskins
    Options
    BUMP
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying, I couldn't get below 130lbs before I started strength training.

I lift HEAVY 2-3 days a week, and run 3 days a week, usually between 15-17 miles (but I'm training for a half right now, that much obviously isn't necessary). Having muscle will not only make you look leaner and thinner, you'll burn more calories at rest, and no, you will not bulk up because women lack the testosterone necessary to get bulky. In fact, the one month I took off from lifting, I lost 2lbs, but my measurements stayed the same. I don't know about you guys, but I'm here to get thinner, not make a number no one but me will see go down.

I would also worry less about the number on the scale right now. Adding on some muscle is going to make you weigh a little more since it's denser than fat, but you'll likely look much leaner.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Because when you build lean muscle you are burning body fat. And after you strength train, your muscles are working to repair themselves from your workout, which means you are burning more calories at rest than you are after a cardio workout. If you look at my before and after pics, I'm the same weight in both pics and look how much smaller I am in after pics. And I did it at home...I'm sending a message now.

Thanx Robyn for this. I too am at about the same starting weight. Only 5 pounds difference. But my body is changing. you look amazing girl.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm someone that LOVES cardio exercise, however, I've always seem much better results from strength training. If your goal is overall health, I recommend being consistent with both because cardio exercise strengthens the heart. Overall wellness requires both cardio and strength training.

I agree. Did turbo fire last year and thats all I did. This year (after gaining it all back). Im doing Cardio as well as weights and I'm seeing more of a difference in muscle definition.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, you should be focusing on weight training the entire time, not just towards the end.

Eat better to lose weight (become a smaller version of yourself).
    Lift heavy to look better.
    Cardio for mental health or to make up for a bad diet.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can strength train without lifting weights. Puch ups, squat thrusts, squats and lunges, punching a heavy bag all build muscle. It is a fallacy that you need to lift weights to build muscle, and if you are jogging, you are also building muscle. You are using you legs, arms, and core when you run. Your body doesn't eat its own muscle when you do cardio, unless you are a hard core long distance runner.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You can strength train without lifting weights. Puch ups, squat thrusts, squats and lunges, punching a heavy bag all build muscle. It is a fallacy that you need to lift weights to build muscle, and if you are jogging, you are also building muscle. You are using you legs, arms, and core when you run. Your body doesn't eat its own muscle when you do cardio, unless you are a hard core long distance runner.

Don't confuse "building" muscle with "working" muscle. Building muscle implies new tissue growth (i.e. muscle that wasn't there previously). This is more of a dietary issue than it is an exercise issue, but from an exercise standpoint, stressing the muscle is required, and you aren't going to do that with body weight (at least not with most muscle groups).
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Don't confuse "building" muscle with "working" muscle. Building muscle implies new tissue growth (i.e. muscle that wasn't there previously). This is more of a dietary issue than it is an exercise issue, but from an exercise standpoint, stressing the muscle is required, and you aren't going to do that with body weight (at least not with most muscle groups).

i think you need to have a conversation with my trainer. She uses TRX loops, the exercizes I described and spins. I think she also uses resistance bands and for a woman she is JACKED.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

i think you need to have a conversation with my trainer. She uses TRX loops, the exercizes I described and spins. I think she also uses resistance bands and for a woman she is JACKED.

Great, I'm thrilled for her.

I stand by my point.
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    so finally guys i found a best toning program maslf...wooohoooo its turbofire lower 20 and upper20 and also p90x ab ripper yoo yooo now m gonna transform wooohoooo :P
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying, I couldn't get below 130lbs before I started strength training.

I lift HEAVY 2-3 days a week, and run 3 days a week, usually between 15-17 miles (but I'm training for a half right now, that much obviously isn't necessary). Having muscle will not only make you look leaner and thinner, you'll burn more calories at rest, and no, you will not bulk up because women lack the testosterone necessary to get bulky. In fact, the one month I took off from lifting, I lost 2lbs, but my measurements stayed the same. I don't know about you guys, but I'm here to get thinner, not make a number no one but me will see go down.

I would also worry less about the number on the scale right now. Adding on some muscle is going to make you weigh a little more since it's denser than fat, but you'll likely look much leaner.

Oh I'm not at all worried about the bulking thing. I know I won't bulk up. But How can I lift heavy when I don't have access to a gym?...
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Oh I'm not at all worried about the bulking thing. I know I won't bulk up. But How can I lift heavy when I don't have access to a gym?...
    resistance is more a time based thing than a gym based thing. 5 reps and less is the 'strength' rep range. But it's moreso a time based thing. If you're using the ATP-CP energy system where you reach failure in under 30 seconds, you're technically doing strength training, even if you're not lifting weights. A great example would be pushing a stuck car in the mud where you just go 100% for a huge push, then are left feeling utterly wiped even after only a few seconds. grats, you just did strength training.

freeweights are great, because it's a VERY easy way to adjust resistance. But there are other ways. Gymnasts almost exclusively do bodyweight training, yet a lot of their movements are rooted in strength training principles. You don't do an iron cross unless you're freaking strong for example. And gymnasts get strong without having to lift weights.

A good at home strength template is Convict Conditioning. their progress template is rather...bad. But they give a ton of exercises that anyone can do at home, with varying degrees of resistance to try and hit that failure in 5 reps/30seconds or less range.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Body weight exercises are a good place to start, but you could also get some equipment for home. Craigslist, flea markets, yard sales are good places to look. I got a starter bench and barbell set for about $100 from Sears. I figure it's better than paying $20 a month to go to a gym.