Question about Protein Intake and Fat Loss + Muscle Gain

Options
Hi everyone! I was researching protein and how important it is in toning up and loosing fat. Most of what I found said that as a fairly active female I should be getting much more than what I'm getting now. Under my daily total it says here I should have only 56g, when a lot of websites I've seen says for toning your body I should be getting .8-1g per pound of body weight. That's a BIG difference!

I've lost almost 76 pounds so far and I'm finally at a healthy weight (I'm 5'2" and 125.4lbs, small frame). So, now I'm finally at the point where I want to loose more fat, lower my fat %, and build and reveal more muscle and tone up. I can feel muscle especially in my mid section but my goal is to reveal and build on it.

I'm planning on upping my protein and doing more cardio, but what have you guys found works to tone up? Should I be eating more protein in order to get my body where I want it to be? Maybe I should do more cardio and HIIT workouts and a little less strength? (I do plenty of yoga and pilates) Also, I'm a vegetarian (80-90% vegan). So what are some ways I can get more protein? I eat plenty of beans and grains, but I want to try a vegan protein powder to add to smoothies. What are some vegan protein powder brands or other ways I could bump up my protein?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY!!!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In my experience, which includes a lot of anecdotal statistical analysis, 0.8 grams of protein per lb. of body weight will likely protect your muscle while losing weight and 1 gram per lb. of body weight will enable you to build muscle. Most research is consistent with that view.

For building muscle, losing fat, and creating a cascade of really positive hormonal responses, try the major lifts: deadlifts, squats, bench press, shoulder press, and rowing/pull-ups. For each exercise, use a weight that challenges you in the 5 - 12 repetition range.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY!!!

Agreed. Nothing you are doing will build much muscle. Lift weights!!
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Our vegan protein powder is Sun Warrior (http://www.sunwarrior.com/). However, I've just switched to IsoPure Whey Isolate as I have heard that the protein is more accessible to the body than the vegan versions.

A lot of options out there...just sharing my brands.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy, and try hemp protein powder. It isn't an especially nice taste, but I disguise mine with chocolate powder. Very healthy though - great range of amino acids.
  • I'd love to start lifting weights, but where I live there aren't many gyms near me. I do have weights at home but I don't even know where to start. Are there videos maybe on youtube to show basics? I do Nike Training Club so I'm somewhere familiar with some moves. Should I add heavier weights to that? Maybe 5+?
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    In my experience, which includes a lot of anecdotal statistical analysis, 0.8 grams of protein per lb. of body weight will likely protect your muscle while losing weight and 1 gram per lb. of body weight will enable you to build muscle. Most research is consistent with that view.

For building muscle, losing fat, and creating a cascade of really positive hormonal responses, try the major lifts: deadlifts, squats, bench press, shoulder press, and rowing/pull-ups. For each exercise, use a weight that challenges you in the 5 - 12 repetition range.

Whoa, wait, what?

So you eat 207 grams of protein a day?
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    protein is based on LBM (lean body mass) not the entirety of body weight. You need to know your BF (body fat) percentage first, to know your lean body mass. there are various calculators online.

also, cardio can be counterproductive with strength training (you can actually lose muscle. cardio is great for strengthening your heart...however). strength training burns fat. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141902731&page=1

loose into Starting Strength (the book). I'm getting into it now and will shortly being the program. It's a no-bull legit way to tone, get stronger, and burn fat.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    30 Day Shred is great for starting out, and once you're done with that, maybe P90X?
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hemp protein powder is super good. It's very nice as part of a green smoothie too. A little more grainy than whey powders so putting something smooth in it can be an asset.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    I'd love to start lifting weights, but where I live there aren't many gyms near me. I do have weights at home but I don't even know where to start. Are there videos maybe on youtube to show basics? I do Nike Training Club so I'm somewhere familiar with some moves. Should I add heavier weights to that? Maybe 5+?

Yes, there are plenty of good videos on Youtube. Seach for "deadlift form," "squat form," "bench press form," "shoulder press form," and "bent over row form." Do those exercises, eat your protein, and you'll eventually be ripped out of your mind.
  • FierceFeline
    Options

Whoa, wait, what?

sounds right to me!
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Whoa, wait, what?

I think it is supposed to by .8 grams per pound of LEAN MUSCLE MASS. (Total weight less fat percentage)
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    30 Day Shred is great for starting out, and once you're done with that, maybe P90X?

30DS is an excellent place to begin. Many people drop pounds, inches, and then tone
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    Lift HEAVY!!!

Agreed. Nothing you are doing will build much muscle. Lift weights!!

AGREE and AGREE!
    You need to read the book The First 20 MInutes. More cardio will not "tone" - in fact "toning" is misleading. Lift heavier weights, build lean muscle mass and burn more fat.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

Whoa, wait, what?

Yes.
  • FierceFeline
    Options

Whoa, wait, what?

I think it is supposed to by .8 grams per pound of LEAN MUSCLE MASS. (Total weight less fat percentage)

Bingo. I said the same thing haha
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was researching protein and how important it is in toning up and loosing fat. Most of what I found said that as a fairly active female I should be getting much more than what I'm getting now. Under my daily total it says here I should have only 56g, when a lot of websites I've seen says for toning your body I should be getting .8-1g per pound of body weight. That's a BIG difference!

I've lost almost 76 pounds so far and I'm finally at a healthy weight (I'm 5'2" and 125.4lbs, small frame). So, now I'm finally at the point where I want to loose more fat, lower my fat %, and build and reveal more muscle and tone up. I can feel muscle especially in my mid section but my goal is to reveal and build on it.

I'm planning on upping my protein and doing more cardio, but what have you guys found works to tone up? Should I be eating more protein in order to get my body where I want it to be? Maybe I should do more cardio and HIIT workouts and a little less strength? (I do plenty of yoga and pilates) Also, I'm a vegetarian (80-90% vegan). So what are some ways I can get more protein? I eat plenty of beans and grains, but I want to try a vegan protein powder to add to smoothies. What are some vegan protein powder brands or other ways I could bump up my protein?

Thanks everyone!

I am dairy/soy free and the only protein powder I can use is Brown Rice Protein. The one I found at GNC by a company called Jarrow. Compared to all the other protein mixes (that I can't have) it was pretty inexpensive. I've been making shakes with that and almond/coconut milk & peanut butter. Also, I have tried the Vegan Shakeology by Beachbody. I really like that but it can be expensive.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'd love to start lifting weights, but where I live there aren't many gyms near me. I do have weights at home but I don't even know where to start. Are there videos maybe on youtube to show basics? I do Nike Training Club so I'm somewhere familiar with some moves. Should I add heavier weights to that? Maybe 5+?

Try the New Rules of Lifting for Women - it's a great programme; I've been doing it at home for several months. If you already have the equipment, it's the cost of the book, and there's plenty of support here for anyone doing it.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Whoa, wait, what?

Yes - lean muscle mass, not total body weight, is what I've heard too. Here's a calculator to figure it out: (scroll down) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm