Options

Replies

• HotDeann
    Options
    That is funny!
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. We tend to retain water during our time of the month. Some women can show a 5+ pound increase! But it should all disappear a few days after your period ends. Best thing is to track it and see how your body reacts so that you can anticipate it.

^^^ This
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I worked out hard this week!! I didn't gain anything I actually loss 1.2 lbs but I was expecting a lil more b/c last week I was down 5.6 lbs!! I usually never feel bloated, but now I know to skip the scale that week!! :noway: I also noticed that I wasn't cramping as badly as I usually do, maybe that due to switching my diet and upping my water intake by 10?? :huh:

Well, you DO realize that you will not normally EVER lose over 5 pounds in a week, right? I'm guessing maybe you are just starting, and the first 5.6 pounds was mostly water weight to begin with. 1.2 pounds is a VERY respectable, sustainable weight loss, you should be proud of yourself! It's possible maybe you really did lose a little more than that, and are retaining some water, but just breathe and try again once TOM is gone. :):flowerforyou:
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    Hey! Don't stress over it too much. I don't know about everyone else, but I typically bloat a lot prior to my cycle which doesn't do me a bit of good on the scale. Also, keep a lookout on your sodium intake. I realized that last week that my sodium levels were usually too high and my scale wouldn't budge. But keep in mind that every week will not be a dramatic loss. If you are just starting out (depending on how many calories you cut from what your body is use to) your body may go into shock and will retain extra water (thats what my body does). Just take it a day at a time and weigh-in one week at a time. Unfortunately it is a slow process that can be upsetting at times, but just remember that we are changing our lives for the better.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You definitely start to retain water but that is not anything to worry about, your body needs to do this. So don't let it get you down. But just incase you didn't know a few days before you period you metabolism speeds up in preperation for your cycle. On average a woman will burn up to 300 extra calories a day the few days before her cycle starts. This is where the extra hunger/cravings come from, your body wants to make up for it. Still it's possible to give in a bit too much to the chocolate cravings (at least I know I do).
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    For me I feel like I have one week a month to recoperate between periods. The week before I am constantly irritated, short on temper, and over sleep. The week of I'm bloated, cranky, sore all over, tired, and feel disgusting since my gut always sticks out more that week. The week after is when the chocolate and peanut butter cravings hit, bloating slowly goes down, and I still don't feel quiet myself. I like having my period back on a 'normal' cycle, but the three weeks of PMS are extremly draining, and it really messes with my digestive system.

By the time I feel myself again, finally, the week before hits again. :grumble:
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The weight loss process is not stopped due to menstruation. Extreme hormone fluctuations can change your metabolism rate but do not prohibit weight loss. Men and women both can have their weight fluctuate several pounds in just a day with changes in hydration/water retention/salt intake.

Daily attention to hydration helps your body shed calories its most efficiently as well as keeping everything lubricated on the inside-think of it like the oil in your car.

Regular exercise is the single most effective way to reduce cramping, especially at any signs of cramping-it helps your muscles to relax post exercise.

Proper nutrition ongoing minimizes cramps-consumption of evening primrose oil is widespread as a female specific supplement to provide essential fatty acids and prevent cramping. I take it daily.

The heavier you are, the more calories burned while exercising. As you lose, you slowly burn less doing the same workout. Do not expect to lose at the same rate with the same calories and same workout.

Scale results are not equal to workout effort always. Keeping up the intensity in your workouts is great, so is interval training. try not to be too disappointed with the scale results. If I am on target with food goals and exercising I see progress on the scale. The higher the expectation, the bigger the disappointment. Loss is a target, think of the weigh in results as a reward not completely in your control. You get a reward, why be the spoiled brat who is unhappy with the prize? Next time it could be better or the same, but you are getting rewards (results) for your work. Agree?
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I gain about 5 from water retention. Don't let it get you down. It will go away and show your true weight loss. :)
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    The scale literally goes up 5-8lbs during the 'time of the month' for me. I never weigh a few days before, during, or after. Water retention is horrible, so I also try to really reduce my sodium and chug water! I wouldn't stress it :)
  • seestephyrun
    Options
    I usually ignore anything the scale tells me during "that time of the month" - whether it's the weight or body fat %
    I generally just feel like a big lump of awful around then, so ignoring it is the best thing for me!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've learned to stay FAR away from the scale when my stupid Aunt Flo decides to make her monthly uninvited visit! It's just not worth the head trip. When my stomach starts to bloat I skip my weekly weigh-in and just put it out of my mind until it's over.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Dont let it get to you to much!!! We all expirence a little bit of weight gain during that T.O.M. drink plenty of water and continue to do exercise as normal. Dont over work yourself or you could cause yourself to plateau.Stay strong and think positive you got this!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I always gain a few pounds the week before...it sucks!!! but usually the next week it comes back off IF I was good lol
  • gailashton
    gailashton Posts: 292
    Options
    Every time I got my period and had a weigh in either a few days before or a few days after I was up. Keep up the good work. Weight yourself on the same day of the week once a week & the same time. Allow a couple pounds with your period and try to watch salt. It's all good. Besides you're working out more and muscle weighs more than fat. Let your clothes be the judge. You can lose inches and not weight. Keep up the good work.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have learned just recently that ovulation also can make you gain a pound or two. So, mid cycle can be a bummer too.
    Drink tons of water (like everyone said) and do the best you can. If it trips you up too much definitely stay away from the scales around that time (I myself almost enjoy it b/c I can figure out what is happening!)
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 pounds every month at that time because of water. If I am strict on my working out and on my diet I will usually lose that amount plus a couple more pounds a week or so after.
  • susu13353
    susu13353 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it can.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would not put a lot of focus on your weight, if you work out harder you will gain weight and then be upset, but if you wait a bit longer you will lose it. Weigh yourself without clothes first thing in the morning and take measurements. I do this once a week. Drink lots of water around your cycle and avoid salty foods at this time, will help with water retention.
  • aprilh0909
    aprilh0909 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    IMHO, there are a few factors at play. Water retention, yes. Absolutely. Our bodies naturally retain fluid at TOM. Not to mention, some of us tend to crave salt -- sodium tends to be a major issue for me. Fortunately it doesn't last long. I fluxed 4 lbs and in 2 days, it was gone. I wait 48 hours before even bothering to weigh myself. Otherwise I tend to get frustrated and have a real "oops meal." Don't forget that we also have plateaus. Sometimes TOM corresponds with this.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Especially if you're on the sensitive side that week. You can send yourself into a tailspin. Just ride it out. And flush out any sodium spike with LOTS of water. Sounds counterproductive being that you're bloated. But it works for me anyway...
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, yes ... i usually gain about 5lbs around that time however it goes away about 2 to 4 days after my TOM.