Almond milk?

Options
What are the benefits of almond milk vs. skim milk. I was looking at the labels, and I just don't get why people are so crazy over almond milk. It's got more fat, more sodium, less protein, less potassium... There are only two things it's better on: calcium and cholesterol (I believe).

So why are people so nuts (pun not intended) over almond milk?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I've never had almond milk myself, but I think I'm going to try some because I hear a lot about it. I looked online for some information about almond milk, to try to help answer your question and this is what I found:

Almond milk, like soy milk, is an alternative to cow's milk. This fortified beverage, made from almonds, has a surprisingly rich and creamy taste. Lower in calories and fat than regular cow's milk, it is high in vitamins, such as vitamin E. Like cow's milk and fortified soy milk, almond milk boasts an impressive dose of bone-building calcium.

Diet-Friendly
    Plain, original almond milk provides 60 to 70 calories per cup, about 15 calories less than the same amount of skim milk. It is low in protein, providing only 1 to 2 g per cup, 2.5 g fat, and has 0 g saturated fat and 8 g carbohydrates. Because of its low calorie content, almond milk may be a beneficial addition to a diet geared toward weight loss or weight management.

Almond milk is lower in both potassium and phosphorus than regular or soy milk. Individuals with kidney disease, chronic or acute, must restrict their intake of these minerals, according to the Medical College of Wisconsin. Thus, almond milk may be a better choice. It is a nutritious option for those suffering from lactose intolerance. In addition, soy products may not be appropriate for all individuals; for example, women with a history of breast cancer may be advised by their physicians to avoid soy.

Vitamin-Rich
    Like conventional dairy products, almond milk is nutrient-fortified, and a good source of several important fat-soluble vitamins. One cup of plain almond milk meets 10 percent of the Recommended Daily Value (DV) for vitamin A, 25 percent for vitamin D and 50 for vitamin E, making it high in many nutrients compared to the amount of calories it provides per serving. Vitamins A and E act as antioxidants, enhancing immunity and protecting the body's cells and tissues from damage. In addition, vitamin A is important for healthy eyesight and supports normal growth and development. Vitamin D helps build and maintain strong bones and teeth, and enhances immunity.

High in Calcium
    Almond milk is rich in calcium, providing the same amount per cup as cow's milk and soy milk. One cup offers approximately 300 mg, meeting 30 percent of the DV for this major mineral. Calcium plays many roles in the human body. Along with vitamin D, phosphorus and magnesium, calcium is needed to build and maintain strong bones and teeth. It also helps regulate blood pressure and is necessary for muscle contraction. Those who cannot tolerate dairy products, or do not use them, often come up short on this important nutrient; consuming almond milk regularly ensures adequate calcium intake.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Milk gives me gas.
    Almond milk does not.

I use it to replace milk in my smoothies and occasionally when I eat cereal.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    The almond milk I drink is 35 cals a cup and more calcium than dairy milk.

Can't stand the taste of dairy milk either. That's why I drink almond milk.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of almond milk vs. skim milk. I was looking at the labels, and I just don't get why people are so crazy over almond milk. It's got more fat, more sodium, less protein, less potassium... There are only two things it's better on: calcium and cholesterol (I believe).

So why are people so nuts (pun not intended) over almond milk?

Almond milk: Waterer, less calories and everyone is more concerned about getting as few calories no matter how much stuff is processed. Usually artificially sweetened though unsweetened is available. Usually contains salt. Usually long ingredient list and usually includes carrageenan which doesn't sit well in some peoples stomachs. You can keep it for much longer because of it and I like the taste. I add the nonsweetened to coffee. It's also vegan and lactose friendly. You can make your own almond milk without any of the 'added stuff' at home.

Example of ingredient list:

ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS)
    EVAPORATED CANE JUICE
    CALCIUM CARBONATE
    SEA SALT
    POTASSIUM CITRATE
    CARRAGEENAN
    SUNFLOWER LECITHIN
    VITAMIN A PALMITATE
    VITAMIN D2
    D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

Skim milk: Full amino acid profile, protein, etc. Many people are afraid of cows milk saying theres added hormones in it. If you're in Canada and I believe the states that's illegal to do. Other people fear animal hormones, these people often don't eat meat.

Example of ingredient list:

PARTLY SKIMMED MILK (vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2 or D3)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of dairy milk, but I actually really like almond milk.
    I use it to mix shakes or eat cereal
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Because some people can't handle dairy products like myself
  • formerlynobel
    formerlynobel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to accept almond milk, mostly because I wanted it to have more protein. But almond milk is NOT meant to be a one-for-one substitute for milk. I stopped drinking cow's milk 7 years ago because I realized it was giving me bad stomachaches. The smell of cow's milk grosses me out (plus, you should see what's in it, but I won't go there).

So I looked for a non-dairy alternative and found almond milk to be the most economical (vs. hemp or flax milk), decent tasting (unlike rice milk) and not questionable like soy milk. I use just a little in smoothies, oatmeal, and recipes and never straight up. We are not animals or babies -- we don't need to rely on milk all that heavily.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    I make my own so it has less calories, no sugar (regular milk has a crapload) and I know that it's fresh. Plus it helps my loved ones diabetes.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I drink it for the higher calcium and lower sugar content then cow's milk. Plus at 35 cals per serving (I use the unsweetened almond milk), it doesn't kill my diet and it has healthy fats that I need too.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    (plus, you should see what's in it, but I won't go there)

This. Milk is disgusting. Plus almond milk tastes like dessert.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I drink both. Almond milk is lower in calories and the calcium is more easily absorbed. Our doctor told me to cut back on cows milk as it is acidic, and my body was taking out calcium from my bones to neutralize that: thus leaving me with less calcium than before! Which I found ironic, but I have checked other studies that agree, so yes, I only have cow milk in my morning tea, cos for that, Almond milk just does not cut it for me!
  • superawesomekt
    superawesomekt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to drink tons of milk every day growing up, also used to have my 'cereal & milk' daily. Then I got ulcerative colitis and have had to move off of milk. Every now and then I can have it with cookies and I'm fine, but if I have it daily I get quite sick. I also avoid excess soy, so almond milk is a fantastic alternative.

For those who, like me, struggle with milk, another option that my body seemed to do okay with was goat's milk and also raw milk, but both can be hard to find, expensive, and many people have concerns about raw milk (especially during pregnancy, etc.). But almond milk is easier to find now and is delicious, so... there you go!

My favorite brand: silk almond milk vanilla unsweetened. Kind of hard to find, but delicious.

My husband mostly drinks regular milk still, although he likes almond milk when we're out.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    (plus, you should see what's in it, but I won't go there)

This. Milk is disgusting. Plus almond milk tastes like dessert.
    So does Hazelnut milk. Tastes almost chocolatey :)
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I drink it because it's sugar free and I think it tastes really really really good!

I get the unsweetened coconut almond milk blend. It's delicious!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to accept almond milk, mostly because I wanted it to have more protein. But almond milk is NOT meant to be a one-for-one substitute for milk. I stopped drinking cow's milk 7 years ago because I realized it was giving me bad stomachaches. The smell of cow's milk grosses me out (plus, you should see what's in it, but I won't go there).

So I looked for a non-dairy alternative and found almond milk to be the most economical (vs. hemp or flax milk), decent tasting (unlike rice milk) and not questionable like soy milk. I use just a little in smoothies, oatmeal, and recipes and never straight up. We are not animals or babies -- we don't need to rely on milk all that heavily.

I actually DO know what's in cow's milk and how it's handled. I grew up around several dairies. I can totally understand for people with lactose issues. I can't say that I rely at all on it (I mix milk in with shakes, a little with oatmeal and that's it). I just see everyone all the time with "almond milk" in everything. So, I was curious.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I wanted to give up cow's milk for a few reasons and I tried rice milk (tastes nasty) and soy milk (also mostly nasty tasting!) wasn't an option for other reasons. I was worried about my situation until I tried almond milk and was pleasantly surprised! Honestly, it wasn't for calories, protein, fat, etc. So that stuff never crossed my mind. I was more worried about getting enough calcium in my diet that didn't come from dairy products and almonds are a good natural source. I still use dairy milk for cooking/baking and most of my fam indulge but for a cold glass of 'milk' or in my cereal or occasional tea my carton of almond milk is what I reach for!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Overall, my body responds better to almond milk vs skim milk... plus if you get the unsweetened, it's better for ya
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Regular almond milk drinker here. I usually buy original unsweetend almond milk (great in cereal, oatmeal, shakes, recipes, and straight up). This week I bought unsweetend vanilla coconut almond milk., because my store was out of the regular one. Have only tried it in cereal so far, but it's not bad. I was raised on whole cow's milk and now the taste/smell grosses me out. I've been vegetarian for 8 years and I drank unsweetend soymilk for most of that time, but have switched to almond milk within the past year, due to all the hoopla around soy products. Almond milk is definitely a better choice than cow's milk.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    There is actually a variety that has protein- So Delicious Almond Plus, with 5g of protein for 40 calories per cup.

I don't drink dairy milk because I am a vegan.
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options
    It's a great choice for low carb dieters. Tasty too!