I am gaining instead of loosing why?

Options
Hello everyone,

After my old scale I discovered was broken, I bought a new digital scale. Weighed myself and recorded it.

A week ago I started this program, every day I record my calories, (and am under by a bit for my goal), I started cardio at least 20 min a day. as thats all I can do (right now).

Before I was basically demand feeding. Now that I am eating regular meals... I have gained weight...

What am I doing wrong? any suggestions

Replies

• loosn
    loosn Posts: 1
    Options
    Hope this offers some encouragement. I have been told by my doc I have to retrain my mind/body. Keeping this in mind, I am trying to eat 6 small meals daily. Kind of like a diabetic diet. Also I am trying to pay attention to my carbs more so than fat intake! My personal weakness is sweets! Especially chocolate when nearing "that mthly time!" Its important to try to stay on schedule, same time every day. Good luck to you!
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I did this site last year and lost 30lbs on it and never saw this. I don't know why in my first week I am gaining instead of losing. Maybe its because I haven't exercised in a while so my muscles are taking my water and retaining it? I don't know..I am interested to hear what others say as well.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

After my old scale I discovered was broken, I bought a new digital scale. Weighed myself and recorded it.

A week ago I started this program, every day I record my calories, (and am under by a bit for my goal), I started cardio at least 20 min a day. as thats all I can do (right now).

Before I was basically demand feeding. Now that I am eating regular meals... I have gained weight...

What am I doing wrong? any suggestions

Are you watching your sodium, as well as your fats, cals. and carbs? Maybe you're retaining water if you haven't been watching the sodium. Are you also being really good about recording EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth? I know that when I started, I wasn't counting the Amaretto cream I put in my sugar free hot chocolate, or a mouthful of this or that. Once I started recording EVERYTHING, and drank at least 8 glasses of water a day, the weight started coming off. Hope it does for you too! :smile:
  • DrJerryFowler
    Options
    1) It might be because of your settings. Are you sedentary many times during the day? If you don't have this setting, your goal might be too high.

2) Are you putting in everything? If you miss one pack of creamer, or one sugar pack, or mayo, etc - you would be surprised at how fast some of these calorie filled things add up. We must put in everything.

3) It might be because of accuracy in reporting. Many times my wife and I have found that it's hard to estimate calories when they are not specified (for example homemade cookies - many times it's hard to say what they put in). Sugar filled treats are the #1 way to gain weight and decrease your immune system. Sugar, white bread products, and red meat are really filled with calories.

Raw foods (like any good fruit that you love) is the best way to lose weight and be healthy - because it is designed to give you a lot of fiber and natural energy. Try setting a goal for a certain number of fruit per day - like mine is a daily 100% natural green smoothie with 1 cup of fruit added + 4 servings of fruit per day (this is on top of my regular meal). Raw foods are simple - just pick up and eat. It is good to replace calorie filled desserts with deliscious raw foods (like strawberries, grapes, pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, etc)

Do not give up. Numbers don't lie. If your settings are right, and you put in EVERYTHING you eat, and your calorie total for each day is where it needs to be, you WILL LOSE WEIGHT (or maintain proper weight).

Hope this helps. God Bless You and your family.
  • FitnessOver50
    Options
    BrenNew

It has only been a week - So I would not worry about it yet. I also would not worry about what the scale shows. Worry more about what you see in the mirror.

As you begin to exercise on a regular basis, you will loss fat and gain muscle. Muscle is heavier but looks much better.

You should also consult with a trainer to ensure that you are doing the cardio properly. Most people exercise incorrectly and never achieve their goals.

I hired a trainer a year ago and have never regretted it for one moment.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything?

A new workout program can cause you to gain or maintain. Your muscles will retain water.

Honestly, the best thing to do is not let the scale rule this journey for you. Just keep on keeping on. Maintains happen and gains happen. If you trip on a stair do you then throw yourself down the entire staircase?

Also, I believe that eating under your target by a bunch routinely is setting yourself up for failure. It's messing with your metabolism, and that's something that makes our journey that much more challenging.

Hang in there, and good luck.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Take a look at this post. Should give you some good information!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    The difference between maintaining your current weight and losing calories (1 lb a week that is) is only around 300-500 calories depending on the activity level you put in.

So losing for me is 1700 where maintaining is 2034 or so. That isn't a huge difference and I can easily go over by 300 calories and not think it was that much.

Make sure you are recording...but make sure you aren't eating a 1200 calorie diet and wondering why you aren't losing...your body is holding on for dear life if you are doing that...and it will hold onto every bit of fat or food you eat.

Eat at a realistic calorie goal if you aren't and try not to get discouraged. Hope you start seeing results soon.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The difference between maintaining your current weight and losing calories (1 lb a week that is) is only around 300-500 calories depending on the activity level you put in.

So losing for me is 1700 where maintaining is 2034 or so. That isn't a huge difference and I can easily go over by 300 calories and not think it was that much.

Make sure you are recording...but make sure you aren't eating a 1200 calorie diet and wondering why you aren't losing...your body is holding on for dear life if you are doing that...and it will hold onto every bit of fat or food you eat.

Eat at a realistic calorie goal if you aren't and try not to get discouraged. Hope you start seeing results soon.

She has a great point. Sometimes a matter of a few hundred calories can make u gain!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

She has a great point. Sometimes a matter of a few hundred calories can make u gain!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    BrenNew

It has only been a week - So I would not worry about it yet. I also would not worry about what the scale shows. Worry more about what you see in the mirror.

As you begin to exercise on a regular basis, you will loss fat and gain muscle. Muscle is heavier but looks much better.

You should also consult with a trainer to ensure that you are doing the cardio properly. Most people exercise incorrectly and never achieve their goals.

I hired a trainer a year ago and have never regretted it for one moment.

:laugh: Thanks for the great advice, but, it was someone else with the problem, not me! :wink: :laugh: :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Are you using a measuring tape? Sometimes I don't see movement on the scale but I see movement on the measuring tape so that is the encouragement I need to keep going and know what I am doing is right!
  • CathyEld
    Options
    Thank you all for all the advise. I read that article and it made sense. I havent started using a measuring tape but soon will.

I appreciate all of your words of wisdom. I will not give up.

Thanks
  • rajekred
    Options
    Hey Cathy,

I'm having the same issue, but I think it may be normal. Our bodies need to get used to it and if you weren't a big water drinker you might have added some water weight too. Once your body realizes it doesn't have to hold onto it you should shed the weight.

Good Luck!
  • ayeshashakoor
    ayeshashakoor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was told by my fitness instructor that you normally gain weight before you lose it when starting a weight loss program, a lot of this has to do with water retention and especially muscle weight. 5lb of muscle is approx. as big as both your fists joined together, whereas 5lb of fat is nearly 4-5 times that much (approx). The main thing is, if you start feeling better, and fitting better into your clothes, you know you're doing something right! Don't worry too much, give your body time to figure out what is happening and what it needs to do. Good Luck!