Hey Fat Girl....

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com.

I am in love with this person!

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    WOW! Just WOW!

I am that fat girl! For me it isn't running, it is Rock Star Boot Camp. I rarely look at people every morning I am there. I failed to believe that the people there working their butts off every day would ever think that way about me and my efforts. But reading this just made me realize that I am denying them the opportunity to express it. I have allowed my own fears and insecurities to block any one elses attempts at support and appreciation.

Thank you to the person who posted this for me to read today! It was something my soul needed to read, to absorb.
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    props. what a beautifully written statement.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Awesome!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am that girl. I don't run but I do ride my bike. Sometimes I feel like the world is staring at me. But you know what? Let them stare!! I am amazing and I can do this!!! Thank you for the inspiration!!!
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love this and have shared with others. Then. . . .I tried to read it to my husband and I started choking up--so handed him the laptop so he could finish reading. :heart: :sad: :heart:

I'm not a runner (yet) but this makes me want to become one!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I.

AM

that "fat girl"

but not for long
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is inspiring. Whoever wrote it, thank you. As the fat girl who cringed during her C25K class and zumba, I completely get her shyness and being afraid to make eye contact. It is nice to see another perspective.
  • Kirabelly
    Options
    This brought me to tears. I love it. I am that girl. Most of us are or have been that girl. I have had people say this to me in person because I DO look people in the eye and smile. Most don't judge the fat girl (or guy) who is out there TRYING. They judge the one who doesn't care.
  • happyceliza
    happyceliza Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing
  • lshaunessy
    Options
    This is wonderful, I love it. (wipes tears away)
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!

I was so afraid of joining the gym and having everyone stare at "the fat girl" sweating it out in a room full of fit people. Now, having been there for a month, I realize the person I most want to emulate the obese guy on the exercycle. Day in, day out, he's there every morning, working much harder than the muscled guys standing around gossiping.

It's awesome to remember that we have the support of other people - because they recognize we're trying to change.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see that people are still reading this and are being inspired by it. I think of this blog every time I jog - I used to worry that people were looking at all my awkwardness, and now I just don't worry. I hope that the fact that this "fat girl" can do it inspires someone to at least try.
  • wisegal81
    Options
    I really needed to read this today:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Reposted from: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/617199-hey-fat-girl

This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com.

I am in love with this person!

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.:heart:
  • mroo2014
    mroo2014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This morning I got up, looked outside, decided to procrastinate a bit and got back into bed, flicked through my phone and saw this... And I got straight up and went for my 40 minute run. So thank you for sharing this story!
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Needed to see this today. <3
  • Mari_2009
    Mari_2009 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Needed to see this post today.