greek yogurt- help!

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    you guys are awesome- thank you. i will try a few that you mentioned- id like to avoid adding things to it because it can add up more calories than i'd like (and i hate to take away cals from my day from things that i already really like), so I hope i find one i like without any additives!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    you guys are awesome- thank you. i will try a few that you mentioned- id like to avoid adding things to it because it can add up more calories than i'd like (and i hate to take away cals from my day from things that i already really like), so I hope i find one i like without any additives!

If you're worried about adding too many calories, stick with some sweetener (I use honey, personally, but others have suggested stevia or truvia which is calorie free) and some cinnamon added to the plain stuff. Cinnamon is ridiculously low calories (almost but not quite zero), and with the sweetener the yogurt is pretty tasty.

Another low-cal option is to mix in some sugar free jell-o mix.

My personal fave is honey and berries. I mash 'em up, mix it all up and eat. Delicious.
  • rozie0310
    rozie0310 Posts: 4
    I get the plain greek yogurt and add agave nectar. It is so good! Honey is good too, but agave is better for you.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    I really like yoplait greek yogurt,coconut flavor. It is 110 calories for 4 ounces.I use it over fruit with a little all bran.The yogurt is sweetened with sugar,but like the lowfat yoplait regular yogurt,does not contain aspartame. I have to avoid aspartame for headaches.
  • jamiek917
    good call- thanks!

AMAZING stats btw :) congrats!
  • My family and I like Dannon with Honey. If I have a coupon, sometimes, I will get the Yoplait.
  • jamiek917
    [If you're worried about adding too many calories, stick with some sweetener (I use honey, personally, but others have suggested stevia or truvia which is calorie free) and some cinnamon added to the plain stuff. Cinnamon is ridiculously low calories (almost but not quite zero), and with the sweetener the yogurt is pretty tasty.

Another low-cal option is to mix in some sugar free jell-o mix.

My personal fave is honey and berries. I mash 'em up, mix it all up and eat. Delicious. ]

good call- thanks!

AMAZING stats btw :) congrats!
    [/quote]
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    I, personally, make my own yogurt. It turns out more delicate but, I can choose what I want in it and usually a nice spoonful of honey added to a cup of homemade yogurt with some fruit tastes just grand to me.
    Curious your method for making your own? I have several and have now found what I think might be the simplest method for myself, but always love to learn how others make theirs as well.

So much less costly, yes?! Blows my mind how buying it can add up so quickly, especially on the individual containers. It's convenient that way in a pinch, so I can see why sometimes one might pick up a few of the pre-packaged. :blushing: :tongue:

I scald a half gallon of whole milk until it is 185 degrees F. then I let my milk cool in a cold water bath to 125 degrees F and then add about 1 cup of starter yogurt (my sister has recommended freezing some starter yogurt, I've not tried it from the frozen ones yet) to the whole thing and pour into pint jars. I usually add vanilla extract to each jar before pouring the yogurt in. Then I put the jars into a cooler that has a 125 degree F water bath in it and leave them for at least 3 hours to set up.

For firmer yogurt I do add a few tablespoons of dry milk to the whole milk before I scald it. And the money it saves, like you said, is amazing!!!
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Greek yogurt is an acquired taste. I felt the same way at first, but now I can eat nonfat plain Greek yogurt all by it's self. I usually buy either chobani or stonyfield organic. I buy plain and vanilla (for my sweet tooth), the fruit varities have way too much sugar. Once you get used to the taste, you will be having it with everything. You can use it to make salad dressings, in smoothies, on wraps, with fruit, with ceral/granola, on mexican night, etc. Plain Greek yogurt is extremely versatile.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    I have tried all of the brands, and don't notice a difference between brands. I only eat plain, but I have learned to LOVE (actually crave it) by gradually working into acquiring a taste for it. I started out by adding protein powder (lots for flavor), sugar free chocolate syrup, and fruit. I stopped using the syrup after a while, then took out the fruit, etc. I eat it in a variety of different ways, and love it. I add cinnamon, protein, and kashi cereal for crunch...or nuts for crunch. I also love adding a tsp of sugar free pudding mix....cheese cake flavor. It tastes and has the consistency of real cheese cake. YUM!!
  • SMP151
    SMP151 Posts: 32
    I hate Greek yogurt on its own. I take a cup of plain, add 2 stevias, a 1/2 cup dry old fashioned oats and 10 raspberries. Mix it all together. I LOVE it. I have it for breakfast almost every morning.
  • researchgirl82
    researchgirl82 Posts: 23 Member
    Fage with honey is my absolute fave, followed by the yoplait greek yogurt parfaits. SO YUM!

Mine too. I prefer Fage over Chobani any day.
  • I just asked a few people about this. If you don't like yogurt that much, Chobani wins hands down! Haven't gotten any yet, but next shopping trip, I will for sure.
  • goalNOregrets
    goalNOregrets Posts: 22 Member
    I add zero calorie sweetener to my greek yogurt and it tastes great - Equal or SweetNLow, whatever. Yes, I know those aren't natural and have their own issues - but I figure the fact that it lets me eat the healthy greek yogurt balances out.
  • Bonjour,

Moi je me fais une crêpe et sur la crête je met du yogourt grec et ensuite des fruits, c'est très bon hum hum

A bientôt

Tine69 xxxx
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I like Oskios vanilla greek yogurt and so far I like chobani honey and nana yogurt. The only greek yogurt that I tried that I hate is voskos
  • It's not quite as good for you (but only a little naughtier) but I love Fage greek yoghurt with a bit of fat reduced cocoa powder and some stevia. Sometimes I make a sort of base with slightly wet crushed weetabix or all bran and stevia (and cocoa too sometimes) pack it down and put it in the freezer for a little bit, then spoon the choccie yoghurt on top... it's like chocolate cheesecake. Or you can make chocolate cheesecake with greek yoghurt and tofu and gelatine and all bran base. I kind of like chocolate! I love greek yoghurt anyway but my boyfriend hates it, but he loves it sweetened or chocolatey.
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    I love Fage, but it's hard to find in my area. I really like Chobani, the pineapple & cherry are my favorites. It took me a while to get used to the taste of greek yogurt now I love it. I actually started to by the 2% first because it tasted better to me and now I can eat the fat free version too.
  • WickedSpinSistr
    WickedSpinSistr Posts: 139 Member
    Another Chobani fan here. I like the 0% variety in Peach, Strawberry and Blueberry. I buy the 12-pack box at BJs for under $11.
  • WickedSpinSistr
    WickedSpinSistr Posts: 139 Member
    And I must be weird because it wasn't an acquired taste for me. After trying Chobani for the first time I never wanted to go back to any other yogurt again. :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Greek yogurt in general confuses me....I know it is much more protein, but when I read the labels, I see so much more sugar than other yogurt....can someone help me with understanding how more sugar can be better for you? This has "bugged" me for awhile now! I need clarity! thanks! :blushing:

yikes
    proper Greek yogurt ( the strained stuff) has less sugar
    usually about 1/2 the sugar
    the stuff i but is about 5g sugar per 100g
    and normal yogurt is 10g+
    unless you are looking at a yogurt with lots of nasty insoluble artificial sugars in which are horribly bad for you!
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Try this - chobani or Oikos plain yogurt - small cup - frozen strawberries - 3 packages of Stevia in the Raw and blend. Add milk if you want to thin it. Tastes AWESOME, like a frozen dessert. Try different frozen berries with it. I also like the Oikos zero fat fruit in the bottom cherry, blueberry, and strawberry. Have you tried Oikos yet? It is a Dannon product.
    as

I prefer the Oikos as well. I like the chobani too though, and just tried the yoplait and it was goox.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Chobani Pineapple is a good intro to greek yogurt. I find that mixing in a quarter cup of granola is really tasty and helps with the yogurt texture.
    These days, I'm absolutely in love with Fage with fruit. So good, it's a dessert.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I like Danon Oikos and Chobani too, but I'm confused why you're trying to make youself like something that you clearly aren't into?

If you're determined...try mixing in some granola or something to give it a different flavor and texture...
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I've found Oikos Vanilla to have the least sour after taste in comparison to sugar and protein content. Mix in a lot of fruit and you really can't taste it. I also really like the single serving fruit on the bottom Chobani and Oikos packs.
  • I'm in love with the Muller fruit corner greek yogurt. It tastes more "real", I guess!
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    I eat Fage plain greek yogurt. 1/2 a cup mixed with 1 tablespoon honey, cinnamon, 1/2 a banana, and some Bear Naked gronala sprinkled on top. If it's too thick for you, add some milk. but the honey will thin it out a bit. If my protein macro is looking a little slim, I will add 1/2 a scoop to it as well. This was my desert last night. :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    I slip a few tablespoons into smoothies and milkshakes as a thickener. Can't taste it at all, but it makes for an amazing texture and a protein boost.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    My new obsession is with 0% fat plain greek yogurt (I like Chobani or Fage) mixed with 1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup. (I like Hungry Jack). It tastes like caramel - and is a great fruit dip!

Other faves are with fresh fruit. If the fruit is tart, I have added a zero calorie sweetener, but you don't have to. Of course I also posted this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/679134-homemade-peach-frozen-yogurt

You can use it as a savory item too. I also like to replace greek yogurt for sour cream, and to use it instead of mayo on sandwiches. SkinnyTaste.com uses it in many of their sauces (like the creamy cilantro lime dressing).

I have yet to try it, but many people on here mix it with oatmeal to make overnight oats.

*Edited to add: I buy the plain bulk size of yogurt, not the small cups. I think it is a better value.
  • Chobani, a tsp. or two of sugar free jello chocolate pudding, and pomegranate seeds! It's my favorite. :)