Spaghetti Squash!!! Try it!

Options
Hey everyone I was in the mood for spaghetti squash, my mom used to make it for me when i was in high school and i loved it. So i looked up the calories and it is practically nothing 1 cup is 42 calories. It is great as a pasta subsitute or just by itself. I made me some for lunch today with tomatoes and nothern beans. But dress it up any way you like. It is super filling too! Anyway always looking for something good to eat that fills me up and low calories!

Replies

• Mandillynn
    Options
    That's awesome!! My mom used to make it all the time for me when I was a kid as well. The only difference is that it was always smothered in butter. As yummy as that sounds, I'm not wasting my calories on the butter... lol! I think your way sounds delicious! Were the tomatoes raw or cooked?
  • bigred717
    Options
    Actually I got can of tomatoes with green chilis and only used like half a can (33 calories). Im trying my hardest to eat my big meal of the day at lunch so that im not so full when i go to bed and my big meal today was only 330 calories, that did include a tablespoon of light butter mixed with minced garlic (50 calories). Let me know how you decide to fix yours.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I had this only once at a friend's house as a teenager-- totally forgot about it.

Do you boil it first?
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I saw a post a few days ago from Banks--SHBoss1673, (pretty sure it was him) where he talked about cutting it in half, putting it in a micro appropriate dish with a little water and cooking for 8 - 12 minutes. I think he said cut side down, but, again, I can't recall. Maybe search his recent posts. It has been within the last week to 10 days that I saw it.

EDIT: Couldn't stand it--had to go back and look, and it was him, from Dec 31st. Here are the actual instructions from the post:

"cut it in half, put about 1/2 an inch of water in the bottom of a microwave dish, and microwave it for about 8 to 12 minutes. Comes out the same as if you bake it. "
  • bigred717
    Options
    The way i do it is cut the squash in half remove all the seed and pulp just like a pumpkin LOL! Then i put a little bit of water maybe a tablespoon or two in the center then cover it with saran wrap and microwave it for 8 to 10 mins depending on how big the squash is. All you are doing is steaming the squash. Hope this helps!
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    Usually with squashes, you cut in half, get rid of the seeds, put water in the bottom of your container (or cake pan if you're using the oven), and put the cut side down. If I recall... I think my mom said in the oven, set for 350 and cook about 1/2 an hour and then test it. If it's squishy enough, then it's done. If not, put it in for 10 more mins. I think this can apply for any squash, give or take minutes according to the size of the squash.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I can't wait to try this. Is it actually called "spaghetti squash" at the grocery store? :huh: I don't know exactly what I'm looking for!
  • bigred717
    Options
    Yes it is a winter squash and you can find it by the butternut squash and other squashes. If you still are worried about finding it try googling the picture before you go to the store.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a big spaghetti squash in my fridge right now! I know I like it and I can get my kids to eat almost anything, It's my hubby I am worried about.... :) I love spaghetti squash any more ideas?
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,759 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just bought one yesterday because it is a good alternative to the carb ladden noodles. I have never eaten it and had no idea what to do with it, but I figured I'd google it. LOL

Question. Is it stringy like spaghetti? What is the consistency?
  • bigred717
    Options
    Yes it is stringy like spaghetti, after it cooks it is best to get it out with a fork and sparate the noodles per say. and then add any ingrediates that you would to a normal pasta. Trust me you will only eat a half if even that at a time so it is a pretty cheap thing to get and have around the house.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    mmm butternut squash french fries are sooooo good! You just cut it up into little pieces and then bake it! Delish!
  • bigred717
    Options
    I will have to try that sounds good do you dip them in anything or just eat them plain?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I will have to try that sounds good do you dip them in anything or just eat them plain?

I use ketchup.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I love squash!:love:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,759 Member
    Options
    Yes it is stringy like spaghetti, after it cooks it is best to get it out with a fork and sparate the noodles per say. and then add any ingrediates that you would to a normal pasta. Trust me you will only eat a half if even that at a time so it is a pretty cheap thing to get and have around the house.

Thanks! I will be interested in trying it now. I usually eat whole wheat angel hair pasta, but it's still a calorie killer.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Alright, I bought one of these things. SO you cut it in half, take out the seeds, microwave it and then it turns into stringy stuff like spaghetti???
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You're right. Just make sure it is tender enough and use a fork to shred and scoop out the spaghetti like strands.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea for me... spaghetti squash = needs a cup of butter :P
    I mean, I could probably have it without the butter but... that would be like having Mac&Tomatoes without bacon grease. Just plain wrong! XD