Running With Items?!

Options

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's hot in Texas, I run with a CamelBak even on short runs, I carry my cell phone in the pocket. For races I wear a SPIbelt to hold my key & cell phone. I also wear my Garmin HRM & have my iPod. That's a lot of gear for such a 'simple' sport!

I have a Road ID attached to my shoe, that way I don't forget it.

(when I run...currently sidelined by injury)
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I tuck my drivers license, cell phone, and a small towel in my camelbak before I run.

I totally read this as "I tuck.....in my cameltoe..." I was like WOAHHHH, WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHH....TMI. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lizsharlow
    Options
    on long runs i only bring 2 or 3 clif shots in my bra (i know yuk) for more energy. i drink water all day to hydrate when i know i'm doing a long run. on short runs i don't bring a thing. However if you're a beginner's runner using an app (like hal higdon's couch to 5K) you need a cell phone arm band to hold your cell phone. but always less is better, " running is a state of mind not a race." good luck to you - warning:running is addicting. LOL
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ugh i love running but HATED the items I carry!! I usually carry my iphone in one hand because I track the trip on runkeeper and my ipod in the other hand because I'd rather use the "non-touch" screen version since I skip songs a lot. I recently bought a "spi-belt" and I love it! I keep everything in it and definitely recommend it. I tried another belt and it bounced around a lot but I wore the spi-belt during a half marathon race and hardly felt it on and actually forgot I was wearing it! On a run longer than 8 miles I try to bring a "gu" to take around mile 6 or about an hour into the run to keep the sugar level up and find a water stop like a running store or cvs. (I plan my routes so that I'm around something at that time and have even had a friend put a bottle of water under their car for me to grab while I run by their house so I don't have to stop). I'm a pretty small girl so I tend to only eat half the gu and it makes me feel like a brand new rested person all hopped up on sugar and ready to climb a mountain (my friends say they know when i'm on "gu" during runs lol). Hope that helps :-)
    Oh and I recently discovered non-cotton running socks (yea I'm still a newbie!) and I highly recommend them, they really decrease friction that used to cause me a small blister on long runs..
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat candies, but I do put a banana in my mailbox; I pass by it around the 6 mile mark. My nephew eats apple & granola bars along the way.

That's hilarious. I guess I do the same thing, kind of. I drop off a water bottle in a spot that I'll be running back by later. Well, I did that in the dead of summer last year. I've conditioned much more now, and the cool weather means I don't need the water right now. Come summer again, we will see.

The most I've ran is 7ish miles, and I have my Garmin and my phone, which GPS tracks me. That's it. I think the pouch that someone posted early on is a great idea! My job is 7 miles from my house, and I've debated running home after work to kill two birds with one run, but I don't know how to carry my keys, cell phone, essentials like ID, credit card, work ID, Metro card....maybe that pouch would work!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    For all of you interested in a road id bracelet, here's a coupon code for $2 off:

ARR6887

expires 5/31/12

from http://www.retailmenot.com/view/roadid.com

EDIT: Just used the code- it works :-)

Thanks -
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Long time distance runner here. I'm shocked by how much people carry and think they need for rather short runs. I really hate to carry anything at all, and I never do unless I know my run will be over 1.5 hours. If you know you're going long, you can "drop" water bottles/healthy snacks (e.g. banana) along the way in hiding places some time before the run. I used to time my distance runs for marathon prep so that I would pass by water fountains at strategic mile markers, and had a friend store some water for me at his house along the way. There are lots of ways to avoid carrying all that junk so that you can focus on tempowork and on just enjoying the run, free and unencumbered by the material world.

Now that I am an avid trail runner, I do find I have to carry a fuel belt with water and a snack. Alas.The one downside to distance trail running.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For all of you interested in a road id bracelet, here's a coupon code for $2 off:

ARR6887

expires 5/31/12

from http://www.retailmenot.com/view/roadid.com

EDIT: Just used the code- it works :-)

Thanks for this Sarah! I just ordered mine. :flowerforyou:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    As little as possible. A lot of it is personal preference. As for water, it depends on the weather. If it's hot, I carry water for longer runs, usually break it into short loops so I can pass by the house and drop off an empty bottle and take the next full one I've left out (usually in the mailbox). But yesterday it was cool and I went 15 miles without carrying anything.

Road ID is good. I got the version that attaches to your shoe laces by velcro. I never even notice that it's there.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running with anything, then I got my iPhone*.. lol...

Now, I sadly admit I brought out my old fanny pack (circa 1990?) and I tuck in the two mini-bottles of water in the main pouch. I keep chapstick in the front pocket, which I can use for 'rubbing issues' on the road if needed and I sometimes toss in a gu/gel if I am running over an hour. I then turn the whole thing so the waist band is over my tummy and the 'load' of the bag is over my backside.. then, I use the strap to hold my iPhone on my front hip.

when I remember, I bring id and $2 in the inside pocket.

*iPhone serves as phone, GPS via Nike + Running tracker, weather alerts, and Pandora radio station for when I cannot stand my own music.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I hate carrying things with me, so I don't take anything except my house key stuck in my pants' pocket. For longer than 10 miles runs, I put water and gel packs (or some other snack-type thing) in certain areas where I'll be running before I go, so I can find them and pick them up on the way.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I run with a water bottle and a ipod.

I don't bring a phone becuase I run to escape distractions.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I tie my car key to my shoe and carry my phone on my armband. It has my GPS/running playlist/Cardio Trainer. Also, I don't carry ID because I downloaded an app on the android market called ICE: Emergency Contact. It has my name, address, number, meds I take, allergies and medical conditions. My phone does not have a password and once you swipe the screen it is a bright red icon at the top of my home screen, can't miss it. The app was free, I'm sure the iPhone has something similar as well. :)
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I run with a water bottle and a ipod.

I don't bring a phone becuase I run to escape distractions.

I have my phone set to only ring if it is the hospital where my son has been admitted. All other calls/texts etc are silent.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Dog leash in one hand, pepper spray in the other (I'm paranoid), and my key tucked into a pocket.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way for my dog to carry crap FOR for me. LOL. Some kind of pouch on his harness, maybe...

they make backpacks for dogs. :wink:
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Camel Pack with the mix-ur-self gatorade with half the amount of mix, and honey Gel and phone and keys
  • AndeeBox
    AndeeBox Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for your input and advice!! Glad I could start some good conversation going!! Best of luck to all and thanks again!!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    RoadID...on every run, no matter the distance.
  • carl4414211
    Options
    Try "The CellBand". "The CellBand" is a wrist sports band converted to hold small devices. They make two models. One holds all kinds of small devices, and another that just holds smart phones. They are cheap $6.99 and $7.99. Also, you can buy at wholesale from $1.50-2.00 depending on how much you want.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Where are all those people from last month that run with loaded pistols in their hand? Not one response from them?