Why do people do this?

Options
2»

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    head butt her and she will stop. Do it with an audience and you'll only have to do it once.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your MIL is a garden-variety b*tch and a know-it-all.

bam. she's just jealous because you stole her son away and your succeeding at keeping him around :P okay maybe that's not it but it sounds like she has a self esteem issue and is being a bully.
    this is why i havenet told everyone i know that i'm actively losing weight.

too many people have diet mentality when it comes to weight loss and that's never been my approach.

this too. i always get the "you know that has lots of fat" or "now you know that doesn't work" or "you'll never stick with that". phooey!
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    CeCe_oceansoul_420 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you're doing is working. that's awesome. But there comes a point where it's about eating healthy and living healthy, not just about having a calorie deficit. It's about feeding your body properly, and there's always room for improvement.

That being said, I hate it when people try to put their two cents in and they clearly don't know much about what they're trying to give advice on. Luckily, My family actually asks for my advice since I've been so successful, instead of trying to give me advice. :)

I do agree with that, and I try to eat healthy about 80% of the time, but I do have my bad days and my good days. I don't think anything I eat is really all that unhealthy though. I always look at the nutrition facts (not just calories, but sodium, saturated fat, and sugar, as well as vitamins and nutrients), but for me, this has been a lot of small steps rather than just 100% healthy eating from here on out. I also figure that since I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life, there's no way I can eat 100% healthy. So I need to find a diet that I can hold to for the rest of my life, which will help me lose weight. I'll adjust as needs be later on, as I lose more weight. :)
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    Options
    this is why i havenet told everyone i know that i'm actively losing weight.

too many people have diet mentality when it comes to weight loss and that's never been my approach.

I haven't told very many people either, just a couple of close friends, my husband, and my MIL. But I'm making it clear that this is more about making healthier choices overall than it is about losing weight. I'm making nutrition and exercise my focus, knowing that the weight will drop off as long as I do that.

You're right though, many people have this idea that it's a "diet" and it's not.
  • trishybob
    trishybob Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you mother-in-law is giving you advise because she loves and cares for you. She wants the best for you. Please do not let it affect your relationship with her. Listen and say thanks for the advise, but continue as you have been doing if you are getting results. Best of luck.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you mother-in-law is giving you advise because she loves and cares for you. She wants the best for you. Please do not let it affect your relationship with her. Listen and say thanks for the advise, but continue as you have been doing if you are getting results. Best of luck.

This!
    My MIL gives me a lot of advice too and I just smile and say yeah sure I'll try that and just go back to doing what I'm doing. That way she doesn't get her feelings hurt, our relationship stays fine and I do my thing too. She really is a good person and doesn't mean to be criticizing or a know-it-all.
    All mothers have a lifetime of giving advice behind them. You cannot expect them to change at that age. Put your ego out of the way, smile and change the topic and everyone's happy.
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    Options

I know she does, and this is her way of showing it, just like telling my husband to lay off the Dew is her way of telling him that she loves him, too. It's just kind of obnoxious is all. I'm glad I've got her to "mother" me, since I lost my own mom 3 years ago.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My mother in law, who is obese, is really nosy about what I eat as well. Instead of wanting me to lose weight, however, she wants to constantly make me bigger like her by cooking extra fatty foods and bringing me home treats on a regular basis. She seems genuinely upset when I mention I'm trying to stick to a 1300 calorie diet. I love her to shreds and she's a sweetheart, but it makes it really hard for me at times and I hate "hurting" her by taking such small portions of her food and refusing the treats.

At any rate, I understand the obnoxious aspect you're talking about, except in a reverse sort of way. I hope things improve for you.