Okay... be brutal!

Options
If any of you who have had success shedding large amounts of extra smush are bored and would like to take a look at my diary...please do! Be brutal (but constructive please...) and tell me how I am doing as far as what I am eating? Give my any tips you may have or advice on what I could do to improve?

Replies

• Phoenix212
    Phoenix212 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to lose weight, I highly suggest you cut out all that butter... it's not doing you any favors. That's probably the one small thing you can change that will make the biggest difference
  • greeneyes622
    Options
    Okay, speaking as a trainer and a woman who has lost over 150lbs, I have this to say. Your eating way to little in the morning. Two slices of bread ?? That wont hold you. Its just going to spike your blood sugar and make you feel more hungry. I , usually opt for natural carbs, protein ( eggs) fruits and veggies in the am. Also, i see very little, if any veggies and fruits. These provide needed nutrients and fill you up..
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If any of you who have had success shedding large amounts of extra smush are bored and would like to take a look at my diary...please do! Be brutal (but constructive please...) and tell me how I am doing as far as what I am eating? Give my any tips you may have or advice on what I could do to improve?

What has your weight done in the last month with what you have been doing?
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories burned as it is very high?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You are ingesting tons of sodium and not sure if it is dr. ordered or not but you should be drinking tons of water if you are going to have that much sodium. I usually stick to 15 glasses if my sodium is in the red. You could be drinking that and not logging it, but that was the first thing I noticed.

Now I realize I haven't lost gobs of weight, but I have lost 18 lbs, 2 pant sizes, and about 15 inches in 10 weeks so I'd say I'm somewhat successful at this.
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to cut my sodium waaaayyyy down. I keep my sodium under 600-800 a day and that has been extreamly helpful. Hope that helps!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with butter in your diet or eating a light breakfast if that's what you prefer. You've been under your calorie goal so you've been doing good there. How do you feel eating the way you are? Do you feel good? Engergized? Satisfied? Bloated? Tired? Are you losing weight? All those things (and more) should factor into how you choose your foods.

You seem to eat a lot of packaged foods. Those don't work for me- I'm left unsatisfied and I end up eating more because of the low nutrition quality. But those seem to work fine for others and it's hard to argue with the convenience. But if you're looking to change things up, I would suggest more fresh foods, certainly some fruit and veg. If you're the type who thinks you don't like veggies, I challenge you to rethink that. Make out a list of the ones you DO like. Go through the entire produce section of your grocery store if you need the visual aid. You might be surprised what you actually do like.

I also need to eat more protein than what MFP recommends to be satisfied. Maybe playing around with your macros is something to consider as well.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This shouldn't be too brutal...

1. Minimize the fat (sorry, no more butter).
    2. Half your carbs.
    3. Nearly double your protein.
    4. Cut the sugars as much as possible.
    5. Shift more calories to the morning.
  • Squirrely_Girl
    Options
    I would say you need more whole unprocessed foods like fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, ancient grains like quinoa and spelt, legumes, avocados, healthy oils like Olive and coconut etc etc. Its OK to eat things out of a box but it should be in moderation. The more whole foods, the better. I am for less than 20% of my diet. The other 80% are organic foods that are grow on a tree or in the ground :) Good luck!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'd cut down on the processed food and fat..
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not enough fruits, vegetables or protein, way too much packaged foods.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the "cut all the butter" comment - depending on what sort of butter you're consuming. If it's from healthy pasture raised cows (like Kerrygold butter) then it's full of good nutrients - but keep portion size definite here because it is a calorie bomb (don't eyeball this one).

Eating more in the morning to help fill you up would help - I'm seeing a lot of processed stuff with little nutritional value. It seems like you grab a lot of high sodium convenience foods. Do you think you could try something like boiling up a large amount of eggs and eating two of those in the morning with something like whole wheat toast and a banana or apple? Maybe cook up a large batch of chicken breasts and eat them throughout the week sliced up in salads, eaten in a sandwich, etc? I think you could benefit from a lot more produce and a lot less eating out.

Not trying to sound nitpicky, but just being honest. I used to grab everything on the run and ate very little fresh foods, I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel now. Feel free to friend me or email me if you want suggestions.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    cut the butter out.. I use other stuff. like if I want butter on my toast, I spray a little of the Pam Butter flavor spray (0 cals with butter flavor!) on it and put SF jelly on it. If you want butter on your baked potato than don't do it.. I use fat free sour cream or salsa on my baked potatoes (about 20 cals each). And I agree with the other poster.. You need to start eating a little more protien in the morning. Try doing a tablespoon of peanut butter on your toast with plain old cinamon. Or I love breakfast tacos. It's just scrambled eggs with a little onoin and a 1/2 cup of frozen hashbrown (again I use the PAM butter spray in my pan, no oil) I put that into a couple of don pancho corn tortilla shells (100cals for both) put salsa on it.. Yum! Good way to start the day. And try to make your own lunches. You can pack them the night before (that's what I do).. That store bought frozen meal stuff has too much sodium and it's just a little bit of food. it won't fill you up! Also I put my meals for tomorrow into MFP the night before. Shoot I already put it in for tomorrow, so I know what I have to work with for dinner.

Good luck on your journey and remember just to keep going.. It's up to you. If you want it bad enough you will get it.

Some high protien snacks that I love. LowFat cottage cheese (I use a lil sriracha chili sauce in mine, but some like fruit.) Hard boiled eggs (again I usually put hot sauce on mine lol) and I like a half cup Non fat plain yogurt with .33 cup frozen blueberries and a little splenda.. Yummy! All delish and all high in protien. it will get you through the day without going over on cals or sodium.!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories burned as it is very high?

I was wondering that too. Those big numbers can be legitimate for some very large people. But most of the time those are numbers for athletes and people in really super shape. Possible you're using uncalibrated tools like a HRM or double-dipping by counting regular activities as exercise calories. Is that the case?

I see lots of bread, meat and dairy with little in the way of fresh fruits and veggies. Personally I'd consider gradually trying to reverse that and move your fiber goal to something more like 40g/day or more. But that's not supposed to be a necessity for weight unless, in the process, you end up eliminating foods you are allergic to. It's just better for your body and health- which is probably in large part why you're here.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

2. Half your carbs.

1. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat
    2. Carbs aren't the enemy (unless she is diabetic, has PCOS or another metabolic condition)
    3. Wow. I agree with this point
    4. Unless #2 is a factor this really won't make a difference in regards to weight loss
    5. Oh yeah.....cause eating at night makes you fat.......um no.
  • Gagaluvr
    Gagaluvr Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would definitely cut out the weight watcher meals. I know friends of mine said the same thing they're easy for on the go but the sodium content is way off the charts. Not good. With the butter could you switch to smart balance? Thats what I use and its good! (get the spreadable one tho in the small container). In the morning I eat a half of a whole grain english muffin, eggbeaters, low fat cheese and salsa on top. I think protein is the way to go for breakfast. I agree with everyone else, eat more veggies and fruit :) Also for lunch you could make a whole grain tortilla, turkey, lettuce, low fat mayo and low fat cheese. I eat that with fruit and it fills me up. Easy to make to! :)
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Try Smart Balance light butter, shift those saved calories over to more protein distributed more evenly to prevent the hungries. Get five fruits and veggies. Too many potatoes in one serving. 1/2 cup of starch is usually about right for a lady. But if you're an athlete, 1 cup, but that was over a cup of potatoes, which breakdown into sugar fast I believe.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes way too much salt and processed foods. Try to go more natural...with some fruits and veggies, some lean protein, whole grains and good fats. You need to start your day off with something healthier. Try an omlette with some veggies, oatmeal with hemp seeds and fruit. There are many sites out there that can help you with a meal plan. Good luck with everything.
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. Less fast food, processed/boxed food.
    2. More lean protein, fruits and veggies. (yogurt, string cheese is a good choice, cottage cheese, lean meats and fresh veggies and fruit- FRESH)
    3. Whole grains.
    4, Less sugary cereals.
    5. A more substantial breakfast to fuel your day.

Depending on where you live, folks eat and think differently about eating healthy. If you live near Costco, they have a ton of great options (another good option is the Kirkland line of Albacore Tuna ...Kirkland has MANY high quality items. So, with the internet, you also have access to things. The learning curve on healthy eating can be based on many factors.
    You are open to feedback. (and it doesn't need to be brutal to be helpful.) :smile:

Good job to see feedback.... that takes courage!
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options

2. Half your carbs.

1. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat
    2. Carbs aren't the enemy (unless she is diabetic, has PCOS or another metabolic condition)
    3. Wow. I agree with this point
    4. Unless #2 is a factor this really won't make a difference in regards to weight loss
    5. Oh yeah.....cause eating at night makes you fat.......um no.

1. Can I just hug you for saying that? I see so many people going on about the evils of fat, when it reality if they looked at the crap replacing fat in the fat free foods they'd wonder how it even passes as food.
    2. They aren't, but empty carbs (not talking about carbs found in things like fruits, veggies, etc) tend to take up a lot of space in the diet without providing much nutritional value. It won't necessarily have a negative impact on weight loss (unless you're someone that tends to eat more when consuming a bunch of empty carbs), but it's a good thing to watch for overall health.
    3. No complaints here
    4. It won't, but it does cause some people to eat more due to insulin response
    5. It doesn't, but eating in the morning, and more throughout the day, vs starving all day and gorging on way more than you need at night can. If she's just not hungry until later, that's one thing, but a lot of people will consume way more calories if they wait until the evening to eat. It's a good thing to try out, to see if it causes less overall eating.