Does clean eating really make a difference for you?

Options

Replies

• kristinacottle
    Options
    Yes... If I eat 1800 calories of junk I will gain weight. If I eat 2000 calories of clean food I will lose weight. Hmm.
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it really hard to make the change so this thread is very interesting for me too. Processed is so much quicker and easier.... however I'm working my *kitten* off and not losing so it must be the logical next step.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the macros I'm at now, and eating what I am, there's almost no amount that I can make myself eat to put on body fat.

I do gain slowly at around 3500-4000, but it's not much fat if I'm eating what I'm eating and the ratio.

I say "what I'm eating" because "clean" is so subjective.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When I first attempted weight loss I just cut calories and didn't change what I ate. I didn't lose any weight. Weight loss didn't happen until I switched to mainly healthy foods. Though to be honest I'm not sure if it's because I have better food or because the less healthy stuff is easier to underestimate (though I have always used measuring cups and a food scale).
  • BarbACona
    Options
    So eating clean is simply eliminating all sugar, processed food and unhealthy fats? Could you lay out what a typical clean eating menu for a day should look like. I am trying to learn more about this and make it my new normal. Any info you could pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would say I eat "clean" - I guess it depends on how you define it. I buy and eat boxed pasta and bread and granola bars and marinades and salad dressings, so there are definitely processed foods in my diet. But the bulk of my diet is made up of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meat, and dairy products, in fresh (or sometimes frozen) form.

Here's how I have approached my weight loss - if I am going to restrict my calories, I'm going to try to make sure that the calories I am consuming are really serving to nourish my body. I want most of my food to have clear nutritional value, so I avoid things (that I like) such as cheese doodles and candy bars.

I do eat some things that are just treats - eaten just for the taste - but I try to really limit how much of my calorie budget I spend on these things. For example, where I used to eat a hostess cupcake for a treat, now I'll make a 321 cake. I'll choose a 1/2 cup of a simple Breyer's Chocolate or Chocolate Chip Mint over the same amount of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked, because I'll still get the enjoyment, but for fewer calories. That leaves more room in my calorie budget for the foods that are contributing to my health.
  • BarbACona
    Options
    Thanks for explaining this more for me as well. This is a tall order for me as I am the ultimate junk food junky, with a horrible sweet tooth to boot. I don't allow myself to bake anymore, I just can't have it in my house (sorry kids), I know I will eat it!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    please define "clean" ?

reposted, because I'm lazy -
    I guess it depends on how you define clean. Many define it as food that is not processed or altered from it's original form, in any way. Right now I'm finding it hard to get raw milk instead of pasteurized and homogenized, so I usually use organic, not ideal but what can you do. I buy packaged and deli meats and chicken and such because I won't go to a butcher. I don't want to grind my own meat or flour. Cows and chickens running around my backyard are something my city frowns upon.

Same with things in cans - I like tuna from a can or pouch, I know it's processed but I'm okay with that. It's hard to find almonds unprocessed, let alone corn or soybeans that aren't genetically modified. I drink processed coconut water. I eat pasta that comes in a box or bag. Luckily in Florida we've got plenty of fruit and even a few veggies I can get unaltered. I do try to avoid preservatives, additives, pesticides and fungicides and I take part in my local organic food delivery program and our community garden, but I still buy and eat processed food. I guess I really don't want to put the time in to make things like yogurt or spaghetti sauce from scratch.

I respect and admire people that put in the effort to eat clean, it's much more time consuming than most realize.

* I've heard this used a lot to define "clean eating" - If you can shoot it, catch it, or grow it - eat it!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by clean?
    Yes I definately lost more by no processed stuff.
    I also do low carb so that's another story
    but absolutely the quality of calories is just as important as the quanitity. At least in my experience.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I suggest" wheat belly" by William Davis very interesting.
    Also YouTube " sugar the bitter truth"
    Not tryin to turn anyone low carb but honestly both interesting bits of info
    Xoxo
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    YES!

I've been eating the cleanest I ever have in my life, and it's reduced any bloat and seems to have tightened things up, too. I'm getting married on Saturday, so the idea that eating clean has such a positive effect on my appearance (and really, my mood, too) is important. <3

In terms of definitions, by clean I mean that everything I eat is as close to its natural state as possible, and any "processed foods" are just combinations of whole foods. For example, the hot sauce I usually eat is made from carrots, habaneros, onions, and vinegar. I try to be as close to Primal as possible.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Before I started eating clean 80% of the time
    9zyk9u.jpg

After I started eating clean 80% of the time
    jqnrdl.jpg

This was over the course of about 1.5-2 months, I changed nothing about my workout and simply just changed my diet. I didn't believe it until I saw the results in pictures

Thank you for that. You look great!

I'm sold.

I don't think that it makes much of a difference in terms of weight loss....it is still all about the calorie deficit.

However the benefits of all those nutrients from good, healthy foods are more important than the number of pounds you lose. And if you think a man made pill/supplement can replace nature's nutrients, you might want to rethink your views.

I am amazed at how my body is changing and how much better I feel when I am giving my body the nutrients it needs.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I suggest" wheat belly" by William Davis very interesting.
    Also YouTube " sugar the bitter truth"
    Not tryin to turn anyone low carb but honestly both interesting bits of info
    Xoxo

Interesting, but debunked. I do agree somewhat - you do what what works for you. :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Not really. But then again, eating so called "dirty" doesn't really cause me to gain weight either :-)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Do you guys really see a difference when you eat clean vs. not eating clean (but still sticking to your daily calorie restriction)? I hear a lot of people say that they can eat unhealthy and lose weight as long as they have a calorie deficit, and eating clean doesn't make a difference. Does it make a difference for you? Do you lose significantly more weight while eating clean?
    Legit answer:
    Whole foods typically have a higher Thermic Effect of Food than processed foods (TEF is the amount of energy required to convert food to usable form, in simple terms). The exact difference have not been well quantified by science yet (to the best of my knowledge). The one solid study I've seen showed approximately a 10% difference between whole vs. processed carbs. Fat is basically 0 TEF, regardless of source, and protein is high enough that a couple % difference won't be very significant (on average 1g of protein provides 3.2 calories of usable energy).

In short: "eating clean" can make up to a 10% difference in net usable caloric intake, depending on what your carb intake looks like.
    Higher protein intake provides a HUGE advantage due to its massive 20+% TEF, and this has been confirmed by numerous studies.

In my experience, eating clean is not necessary to get into great shape, or be in great health (check out my diary for proof). OTOH, I don't eat fast food or TOTAL crap (twinkies and suchlike), so I can't speak for that.

Edit: Addendum: A lot of "non-clean" foods do not have accurate calorie info. E.g. in tests of fast food, actual caloric content has been shown to be 40-50% greater than published nutritional info. This is true for a variety of foods (e.g. baking splenda contains 200 calories per cup, but is listed as 0 due to FDA labeling regulations allowing for a serving, 1 tsp in this case, having less than 5 calories to be labelled as 0 calorie). Also a lot of "bad" foods on here have terribly wrong info (e.g. Freebird's brownie shows 190 calories, site shows 600+, found an entry for cake the other day that showed "1 large slice" as 90 calories... lol). What I posted assumes you are able to weigh and/or accurately determine caloric intake, which is much easier to do with food you make yourself (probably a big factor in why people who switch to "clean" eating tend to start dropping more weight).
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the macros I'm at now, and eating what I am, there's almost no amount that I can make myself eat to put on body fat.

I do gain slowly at around 3500-4000, but it's not much fat if I'm eating what I'm eating and the ratio.

"clean" = whole foods, plant based. Not subjective. Science. :)
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For me clean eating makes ALL the difference. I can eat fewer calories but crap food and I won't lose, I eat clean and I lose consistently. My body also "punishes" me when I don't eat clean. It's gotten used to being treated right, so if I treat it wrong it totally lets me know. I also have more energy to work out and get more out of my workouts when I eat clean. It may not be for everyone, but for me, I'm sold!!

*my definition of clean: not processed, grass fed, cage free proteins and fresh vegetables!!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

"clean" = whole foods, plant based. Not subjective. Science. :)

you're saying that "plant based" foods = "clean" ...i call bullsh!t. just sayin. that is SUBJECTIVE if I've ever heard it.

I believe Tosca Reno coined the term "cleaned eating" and according to her website...

"Eating Clean is treating your body right. It is eating the way nature intended. You eat the foods our bodies evolved to function best on, and that makes you feel – and look – fantastic. When you Eat Clean you eat more often. You will eat lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats. These practices keep your blood-sugar levels stable and keep you satisfied. The best part is that if you need to lose weight it will happen almost without you having to try. And yes, you can have a treat now and again."

So...that doesn't sound like "plant based" to me. It is subjective..wholly and completely. Even if you disagree that she's the originator of the term--"clean eating" by many people simply means minimally processed, no/low preservatives, natural foods.
  • blondie60613
    Options
    You will lose weight no matter what you eat, losing weight is a simple equation of calories in - calories out.

Eating clean will make you be more alert, have more energy, sleep better, wake better, be more healthy overall, have better skin, better digestion, and basically make you LOOK and FEEL AMAZING.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight no matter what you eat, losing weight is a simple equation of calories in - calories out.

Eating clean will make you be more alert, have more energy, sleep better, wake better, be more healthy overall, have better skin, better digestion, and basically make you LOOK and FEEL AMAZING.

Agreed. Cals in cals out with a deficit. Repeat.