C25K...how long will it take

Options
I'm currently doing C25K (week 3, day 3) and I want to sign up for a 10k run. Something to aim for. How long do you think it will take me to get there? I'm doing well with the app and can feel my fitness coming along quickly. How many months away should I book the run?

Replies

• mrshewitson
    Options
    I did the 9 week C25k app and then had 3 weeks before my 5k I'd signed up for so I just kept doing week 9 till my race. So for me it was 3 months to get to a 5k. There is an app to go from 5k to 10k but not sure how long it takes.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll start with a 5k race. They dont have many of them here though! I have the 10k and 21k app all lined up lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I did a 12k (hilly!) race in August after starting C25K in January, so that was 7 months and it was very do-able.

It really depends on your previous level of fitness - if you didn't exercise much before starting C25K then you need to be cautious with increasing distance - you can end up with injuries if you do too much too fast (I did!)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    how long is a piece of string - too many unknown factors for anyone to give you a useful answer.

Also - when you say 10k race - what are you hoping for - to get round? to run it all? to do it in xx minutes?

BUT Assuming you complete the c25k and can run 5k - then you can reasonably expect to extend your distance by 10% a week - so probably another 6-10 weeks of steady progress beyond c25k before you can comfortably do the 10k.

just keep at it and be patient.