PROTEIN SHAKE IDEAS, ANYONE???

Options
giabelle
giabelle Posts: 140 Member
Lately, I've been looking at protein shakes, as a good way to feed my body, before a workout.

In the past they've always helped, so I thought I would "give them a go" once again.

Do any of you have any really great ideas for what to put in one? I'm looking for some yummy input here, foks, so please feel free to drop in and tell me the ingredients to your skake ideas today!

Thanks!

Replies

• Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    I use Chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter) with Chia seeds, Almond milk and my protein powder, which is BSC's Body Shaping Protein for Women. It's amazing.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I love the recipes on this site.

http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fitnessblackbook.com/low-body-fat-percentage/page-2.html would say eat nothing before exercising
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the protein shake after my workout to get the protein to the muscles fast, and don't mix it with low fat milk cause that slows it down, i try not to have one before a workout but have bcaa and creatine monohydrate before and after. that's all i do.

i don't bother about the taste though i have a strawberry cream flavor bag and its gr8.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I also have it after the workout, not before. There are many different ones I enjoy, lately I have

Trader Joe's Vanilla Hemp Protein Powder mixed with 3/4 cup frozen berries (Kirkland blackberry, rasberry, blueberries) and 1 cup water.

It tastes so good.

I have been avoiding whey protein lately to see if plant based protein agrees with me better.

Amazing Grass also makes Amazing Meal, which has hemp and rice protein plus green superfoods in a chocolate flavor that I like to have with 1 cup water and 1/2 banana. Not as much protein in this one though, and the grassy taste takes getting used to. :)
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I mix up a scoop of vanilla protein with 0% fat Greek yoghurt - need to give it a good stir to get the powder well mixed in. Then I add some fruit or berries. Really tasty!

Or mix protein with water and add frozen berries then blend.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife French Vanillia Meal Protien shake and add fresh fruit to it.. That way I can alternate flavors during the day and sometime put all the fruits together for one shake.. I also us the Pina Colada shake for something different.. :drinker:
  • evademers
    Options
    I have been using Herbalife shakes for 2 months and I love them. I have alot of food allergies so this shake does wonders for my body with plenty of good vitamins and minerals your body needs :) I use 1 cup 40 calorie unsweetened almond milk, 2 scoops of shake half cup of frozen wild blueberries, great antioxidant and anti-inflamitory and helps lose belly fat, 1/2 cup organic rolled oats and 1 scoop of ground flax add ice and blend away!! Oh I also at 2 packets of splenda to add some sweetness, no calories.
    Eva
    Also I only use 1 tbsp of flax a day in the morning :)
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love the recipes on this site.

http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

This looks absolutely fabulous!! THANKS!!!!!
  • giabelle
    giabelle Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied! This is all great information!!!

I will definitely take a look at the website: http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/ as well. It sounds promising!!

Ok, so no protein shake before but AFTER a workout instead. GOT IT!!! I'm a virgin to this whole "workout" thing again and taking it VERY SLOWLY!! I need all the info I can get!!! :)

Thanks again, everyone!!!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    ^^ thats right, don't eat before. I normally try to have a snack maybe an hour before. But nothing heavy. You will get sick. I also bring a snack with me to eat as I'm leaving the gym. I work out pretty heavy and just won't make it if I don't....LOL I about 42 mins of hard cardio as well as about 50 mins of weights. Sometimes I will even add in swimming laps. My body needs to fuel.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great idea's. I tried to make a root beer float out of Jay Robb Vanilla whey Protein powder last night. I used Greek Yogurt with the Whey Protein powder plus, Davinci Root beer no sugar syrup. It tasted Ok but still need to experiment more I need to get root beer extract flavoring. If anyone knows how to make a vanilla shake taste like a Root Beer Float please email me.
  • brittanypeters1990
    brittanypeters1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    There's great info in this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/67-supplement-reviews

There are some really awesome protein drinks/powders out there. I ordered a variety pack from Netrition.com and have been trying them out.

I also drink Scivation Xtend BCAA during workouts. It helps with energy, and begins the muscle recovery process.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I use Chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter) with Chia seeds, Almond milk and my protein powder, which is BSC's Body Shaping Protein for Women. It's amazing.

Oh, drool....will have to try this!
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey - Chocolate. I get mine at Hi Health. Lowww carb and it's high protein. To many shakes have high sugars and lots of chemicals. This is pretty clean and It's helped me LOTS! I drink them every morning. About 6 oz of water, and 6 oz of ice in a blender with 2 sweetener packs.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey - Chocolate. I get mine at Hi Health. Lowww carb and it's high protein. To many shakes have high sugars and lots of chemicals. This is pretty clean and It's helped me LOTS! I drink them every morning. About 6 oz of water, and 6 oz of ice in a blender with 2 sweetener packs.

Holly, you find you have to add sweetener? Just wondering...I purchased the vanilla flavor earlier this week but have not tried it yet. I figure if I get tired of the vanilla flavor I can add some cocoa powder or fruit to it. I had to buy a giant tub of it because that's all the store carries but I can return it for store credit if I don't like it. I am just so tired of nasty-tasting protein shakes. I hope this is the one for me.
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    anything you add... adds carbs. Fruit... look out. Even Coco has carbs. I'm doing Atkins... so I watch what I add. That brand of shakes... for me... I add 2 pks of stevia~
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not worried about carbs from fruit or cocoa, just want something that tastes good!