30 day challenge

Options
A lady taking a psych class at school had an assignment to change 1 bad habit or start 1 good habit.
Phycologists say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit (granted, some are more difficult and take many tries).

For 30 days I have to exercise once a day.

Today is my day 1. I just did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

I am also using this philosophy on my 12 (almost 13 year old daughter).... her challenge is to keep her room clean for 30 days.
I have set up a few rewards along the way for her and myself.
Reward #1 is a 4 days and is very small DD= 15 min "free" computer time Mine= self manicure and partial pedicure
Reward #2 is a 8 days and is small DD= rollerskating night Mine= a couple hours out with friends
Reward #3 is a 18 days and is a little bigger DD= $10 cash Mine= a new workout video
Reward #4 is a 30 days and is the big one DD= Sushi Night Mine= Sushi Night

I'll check in everyday to let everyone know how its going. I'd love to haves ome company in this or any other goal similar.

Set your own challenge and your own rewards!

Let's make some good habits and get rid of some bad ones!

Replies

• dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Good to see you on boards, Wanda.

I need to get to bed earlier. It should be 11 p.m. when I don't go out (as of now I only know of 2 such situations in the next 30 days). I will even strive for 10:30, but that might take a while to achieve.

If anyone wonders what's this having to do with weight loss, lemme tell you it has a lot to do with it! If it were only for discipline - and I'd like to have that in all aspects of life. And then, there is some evidence that lack of sleep inhibits some substance which tells the brain when one has had enough food, so that people who sleep less feel hungrier and in more need for snacks throughout the day.

I'll think of the rewards later :wink:.
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Awesome to see you too!!! Glad you want to join me!!! And I know SLEEP is SOOOOOO Important for so many aspects of life!
    :drinker: Here's to my exercise and your sleep!
  • dewdrop
    Options
    I realized last night that I'd better start this commitment in January, probably only after returning home. Right now, we're going out almost each night and I can't stick to it, although I wish I could. I'll be around :wink:.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like this idea...just got back on track with MFP today and later today, when I have time, I am going to come up with my goal for the next 30 days with rewards, too! Great idea!

Kathy
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    I hope you both join me!
    I have 2 days under my belt. I didn't do a work out video but I danced last night for over an hour. I am totally counting that.
    Haven't done anything yet today but I know at the very least I'll be dancing tonight too.
  • writer4him
    Options
    I am joining you! I didn't get a chance to get back online yesterday, and I blew it with eating both yesterday and today...so I am starting my 30 days (well, make it 31 for January!) tomorrow. My goal is going to be to faithfully log my calories every day for the next month, and to stay within my calorie limit, which is 1350 per day.

I am going to make my "reward" days on Fridays, because that is my slowest day of the week and the easiest for me to actually take some time off to do something fun. Here are my treats to work toward:

January 8th - self manicure & pedicure also (good idea and my nails are a mess so practical also!)
    January 15th - take 2 hours off to do something fun...decide spontaneously that day
    January 22nd - Get a real manicure at a salon!
    February 5th - I know this goes past the 31 days but I am keeping it on a Friday: Getting Chinese take-out for lunch! (And still hopefully staying within my calories!)

How are you doing with your work out goal, Wanda?

I went horseback riding both today and yesterday, and I have a one-on-one lesson (which actually should be a good workout) tomorrow morning!
    Kathy
  • writer4him
    Options
    Happy New Year!

Well, I logged all of what I am supposed to eat for today, so I am planning to stick with it and stay within my calories! Heading off to horseback riding in an hour!

Kathy
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I'll join again too. The hilidays have been killer for me. I've gained 11 pounds and I feel like crap. I kept counting my calories and exercising but somedays I was counting rediculusly high.

This time I'm not going for the crazy 500 cals burnt per day goal because I think I only up there a total of ten times.

For thirty days I'm going to stick to my calorie goal as per mfp.
  • writer4him
    Options
    Stef, I think your goal is reasonable...and I'm glad you have the same goal as me! Helps to have someone doing the same thing!
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    Stef - I am glad you are joining us!!!! Especially since I would have never thought of doing anything like this if it wasn't for you!!!! How did you do in your phycology class?
    Writer4him - I like your rewards!
    Me, I am going to exercise my abs, back and tricepts tonight. No cardio because I just got home from an all day family party.
    At least I'll be woking on some sort of exercise but I have one child in bed and one that likes to be underfoot while I exercise. So I'll be doing stuff that he can climb and play on me while I work out!
    I did dance last night so 3 nights done and after my workout tonight it'll be 4.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Yeah, I think it'll be better to start off with a goal that I can accomplish.

I only got an A in psych. It was a 92 before I wrote my final paper.

Oh well, I get to take abnormal psych this semester.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    1st of January: I was in bed at 10 p.m. - yeah! I did wake up in the middle of the night and ended up reading a chapter from a book after tossing in bed for a while, but I'll still count the day, because I did go to bed on time.
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    Stef- Great job! They say we need to take baby steps to get to our final goal.... I guess I know what my parents meant when they used to say every penny counts!

Dewdrop- I would count that too! 10pm and in bed!!! Great job! I am starting my new schedule tomorrow (again)! The holidays have my bedtime and wake up time all messed up! I love the holidays, but they really mess me up!

I wound up falling asleep with my son and didn't do my exercises last night. So I am back to day 1.
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    I completed day one (again) with an ab, back and tricept strength trainning.
    Now, off to bed. 5am will come WAY TOO SOON!!!!
  • writer4him
    Options
    Well, I guess I am back on day one also, because I went over my calories by 100 yesterday! The good news - I lost half in the three days since I started, anyway!

Pressing on!
  • dewdrop
    Options
    I went to bed shortly past 11 last night, so I'll count it, though I know I should do better (have 11 as an upper limit, that is). I tossed in bed for really long again, which shows I need time to adjust to the new schedule. I'll keep trying, though :smile:.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    I should be coming up with rewards... But this would mean I gotta give up those things, to turn them into rewards :). Or maybe find something I don't do everyday... Help! :smile:
  • writer4him
    Options
    I had a hard time coming up with rewards...and then coming up with rewards that aren't food...and then coming up with rewards that are really something I should be doing (like my nails) - which makes my reward more like work to complete instead of something fun! ha ha.

What kinds of things do you like to do, Dewdrop, that you don't get to do very often?

Kathy
  • dewdrop
    Options
    While thinking of the rewards (thanks, Kathy, for the tips) I'll report that last night I was in bed at 11. Again, tossing and turning and eventhough I ended up turning on the lights to keep myself busy and get tired, I am proud for getting at bed at 11 (that was where I had the will, falling asleep was beyond my will) and will say:

Day 3 completed.

I believe that if I am consistent with is, I will end up falling asleep when I hit the pillow :wink:. Tonight is a disclaimer: we have plans with friends,so I'll make it an exception (won't count, won't reset the counter either).
  • queenbee
    queenbee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi friends, can I join you too? I'm not too tech savvy but I really need some weight loss support pals. It's Monday....the national diet start day of the week and I am ready to jump in. In 28 days my husband & I are going on a trip and I want to lose 10 lbs! Yes I have lost 2 days of the 30 already. I had to eat everything yummy in my house first, you know just bingeing before the drought...one of my bad habits. I am going to figure out goals and rewards. Todays specific goal is to learn how to post my food here and keep it under 1200 calories. I am also going to exercise 30 minutes. Whew I said it!