Push through the soreness?

Options
Last night I completed day 2 of the 30 day shred and trust me, I did it big. Maybe a little too big. Well this morning I woke up SO sore...mostly just my legs...It feels nearly impossible to walk :( I don't want to take a break by any means and in the video, Jillian Michaels says to keep going and to put stress on your body because that's what's building the muscles but I've also heard my whole life to let your body rest when you get really sore and resume maybe the next day or so. Oooh decisions, decisions. WHAT TO DO!?
And trust me, I am more than willing to push through this, I just wanna make sure I won't be hurting myself if I do....

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You may get conflicting posts on this. I would say push through if its a 30 day program. The exercise will probably help loosen you up and help your legs feel better. Are you taking any protein supplements after your workout?
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Check this out, they'll say it better than I can :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/novice_overtraining.htm
  • TonyM1984
    TonyM1984 Posts: 267
    Options
    I did something similar last week and I remembered the saying about letting your body rest if it is sore. But I pushed through the soreness and nothing bad happened! I actually felt so much better, than when I let my body rest and stay sore!
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You may get conflicting posts on this. I would say push through if its a 30 day program. The exercise will probably help loosen you up and help your legs feel better. Are you taking any protein supplements after your workout?

No, no protein stuff for me. I would, but honestly, I lack a lot of knowledge in the whole protein supplements department lol. That's something I need to look into and learn more about :/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of soreness. Is it just leg muscles? Not knee or joints?
  • Mama_Mila
    Options
    Depends on what kind of soreness. Is it just leg muscles? Not knee or joints?

No def no joints...all muscle, but it feels like literally every ounce of tiny muscle I have is sore lol that is the toughest workout I've ever done to only last 20 minutes!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I personally think that 30DS is a little intense to be done everyday. I work out 6 days a week, but I try to mix it up to give my muscles a break. If it were me, I would skip the day from 30DS, but walk or run and try some yoga or other stretching. Also, drink plenty of water.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Jamie Eason workout on bodybuilding.com and there are days when I am so sore I can't move but I push through it and I actually feel better and less sore if I get myself moving. I have figured out that a little cardio or some good stretching really helps. Also not sure if you already do or not but try to stretch good before and afterwards. I know she warms up and cools down on the video but I am sure a little more stretching wouldn't hurt ;)
  • 92_sweetheart
    92_sweetheart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The day before yesterday I did The Firm Cardio Explosion for the first time. Only lasted 10 mins. because I had some severe muscle cramps. But I did wake up with some soreness in my core(lower stomach), calves, inner and outer thighs, and lower back. Mind you I only did 10 mins. and it left me very sore. So yesterday I just took a 10 min. walk, but I realized the more I did things around the house the sorer I got. By night time my legs were killing me like they hurt to the touch. I am still store today, but I pushed through it. I just did 20 mins. on my stepper. I know I am going to pay for it tomorrow.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me usually pushing on and exercising even when really sore actually helps to loosen up the muscles and start to feel better through out that exercise routine. I then would usually soak in a hot bath, I find this really good especially on my leg muscles.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Great link! :bigsmile:
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Push through it, you'll feel better after working out again. It took until day 4 for the soreness to go away for me. I'm on day 6 but I'm working in a couple of rest days - for me, it helps me stick with an exercise routine to give myself a couple of days off. So I'm taking today and maybe tomorrow off and I'll get back into it with a vengeance on Sunday.

My legs still feel like jello when I'm done, so I'm know I'm still working really hard. I've noticed an improvement in my endurance, although I'm trying to push myself harder as it gets easier.
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter. I don't mind, it does not matter. You have to push through and train passed the pain. Pain is temporary, muscles last for along time.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

No, no protein stuff for me. I would, but honestly, I lack a lot of knowledge in the whole protein supplements department lol. That's something I need to look into and learn more about :/

A post protein drink will help your muscles. :) Good luck with your program,
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    for me personally after a heavy strength training session i give myself a days rest, however it seems your not too sure on your protein intakes... also are you getting enough sleep?
  • Mama_Mila
    Options

Great link! :bigsmile:

I will check this out when I get home...It's blocked from my work computer >:(
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It depends on the severity. When muscles are just a bit sore, but I still have full range of motion, I'll go ahead and work out. When they're crazy tight / cramped, and I feel like I have to keep stretching all day long to try to deal with it, I wait until that goes away.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Drink more water
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options

Good post!
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options

A post protein drink will help your muscles. :) Good luck with your program,

Shoot, I drink protein twice a day and muscles ache like no other. But it feels nice to be doing something right!