The myth of metabolism

Options

Replies

• kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid, which messes up metabolism so badly. I laugh in the face of the "metabolism myth". My SO literally eats junk all day and never exercises and he is 145 lbs. I look at cake and gain weight. People are very different- that's why some of us are brown, some of us are more of a cream color, some of us are tall, some are short, some are pear shaped and some are apple shaped...its because we have different genes and different genes means our bodies work differently.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Different metabolisms is definitely not a myth. And by definition, people with higher metabolisms need to intake more calories to operate. The "real myth" about metabolism is that it increases significantly when you increase your muscle mass.

Someone's metabolic rate may be genetically higher, but save any sort of medical condition, it's probably not what's really accounting for the ability for them to eat more.

People who can eat a LOT more are probably exercising more (and therefore the reason they can eat so much more is because of the calories burnt during exercise-and after exercise depending on the type of exercise done) and/or they are eating foods that are less dense (less calories per unit volume).
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    I understand why you would feel that way... but I think you are wrong. I had a friend growing up who was always tiny. We worked at McDonalds together and she would eat Big Mac meals supersized with a side of big mac sauce to dip her fries in. She ate little debbie cakes for breakfast. She sat and played video games with her brother all of the time. Did I mention she was tiny?! I can remember her coming over to our house and looking at what my whole obese family was having for dinner and saying.. "is that it? I could eat that by myself." And she could! Her activity level wasnt super high and her calorie intake was probably off the charts...and yet she was tiny. Which is why skinny doesnt necessarily mean healthy...and why I think metabolism and genetics have a LOT to do with body type. HOWEVER, that doesnt mean that we cant all reach a healthy weight..it just means we have to work harder at it.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#metabolism

The fact is, metabolic rate does not vary drastically between matched populations. But I suppose that depends on your definition of drastically. I'd say that it certainly can vary meaningfully... in the tune of 30% differences between the slowest and fastest.

You better believe that someone who's 15% above average is going to have an easier time controlling weight than someone who's 15% below the average.

More interestingly is the concept of spontaneous physical activity or non-exercise activity thermogenesis. Some people are high responders while others are not. What I mean is, some people, when faced with a surplus, will automatically expend more energy through activity to defend against the surplus. This activity can be mostly unconscious, such as fidgeting and such. This can account for 600+ calories worth of expenditure per day.

Think about that for a second.

Chances are, the people you know who can't gain weight no matter what they eat aren't working with super fast resting metabolic rates. Rather, it's more likely dealing with the fact that they have very high SPAs or NEATs in the face of overfeeding.

On the flipside, some people, in the face of a calorie shortage, overcompensate their SPA/NEAT by unconsciously expending substantially less energy via activity, which is likely one of the primary culprits making lasting weight loss so challenging.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So we all know people who are skinny but appear to eat all the time, right?

Except...have you ever spent a few days with them eating exactly what they do? Do they really eat as much as you think? And those overweight healthy eaters....again, I have spent some time trying to match exactly what my larger friends eat, and I can't. I can't eat that much.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe the different metabolisms myth. I haven't seen a scrap of actual evidence for it, besides people's own word for what they are eating, which is notoriously unreliable, and I have seen a lot of evidence to refute it. I do think people get full at vastly different caloric intakes, so a thin person might eat until she is stuffed, but actually not have eaten much, whereas a bigger person might feel she is always starving herself and yet can't lose weight. I believe that is where the difference lies, in our biological propensity to feel full or not.

Judgmental aren't you?

Speaking as someone who messed up her metabolism royally, I was one of those skinny person that ate everything. =) I was known for it in fact, which is why a lot of people made fun of me now that I'm 30lbs overweight. I packed on 30lbs in 2 years while eating a lot less than I eat in my younger days. I know I was eating less because I was broke. Completely. No money. I bought groceries which was mostly cabbage, carrots, and other cheap veggies to cook at home because I can't afford to go out and McDonald is gross. I couldn't even afford any protein other than eggs and tofu once in a while. So, yes, 30lbs in two years.

And now, if you ate everything I ate within a day, I'm sure you'll feel very starved. I think I gained a pound this last two weeks.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Interesting post.

First of all, hormones can effect expenditure so I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a "myth". But I would also add that people tend to use "metabolism" as a big excuse when either justifying their own inability to lean out OR when looking at another person's physique and pinning it on their "super high metabolism".

I read a post a few days ago where a friend of mine posted her pics and she eats what most people would call "junk food", and a few people immediately chimed in with ridiculous claims of "you must be lucky to have that metabolism" and "lets see you do that when you get older". They completely glossed over the fact that she isn't over-consuming calories. She's creating a deficit like the rest of us should be doing when trying to lean out.

Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is gives a very big contribution to TDEE, and in addition to this, I absolutely agree with the OP that in just about all cases, "you don't know how much that other person really eats".

Typically people who are overweight are over-estimating their deficit or under-estimating their food intake. Hardgainers typically over-estimate their food intake and simply don't eat as much as they think.

All of the above factors play a role in this.

So are different metabolisms a "myth"? Of course not. But it sure is a good excuse.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I understand why you would feel that way... but I think you are wrong. I had a friend growing up who was always tiny. We worked at McDonalds together and she would eat Big Mac meals supersized with a side of big mac sauce to dip her fries in. She ate little debbie cakes for breakfast. She sat and played video games with her brother all of the time. Did I mention she was tiny?! I can remember her coming over to our house and looking at what my whole obese family was having for dinner and saying.. "is that it? I could eat that by myself." And she could! Her activity level wasnt super high and her calorie intake was probably off the charts...and yet she was tiny. Which is why skinny doesnt necessarily mean healthy...and why I think metabolism and genetics have a LOT to do with body type. HOWEVER, that doesnt mean that we cant all reach a healthy weight..it just means we have to work harder at it.

Xactly!
  • wabecca
    wabecca Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you spent a day with my dad, you might not be posting this, lol ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Metabolic functioning does vary by individuals, just as hormone levels can vary. While the functions of our bodies are basically the same, every individual is a little bit different. Metabolism is one of them. Hormones are another, and hormones can effect metabolism.

I do agree with the spirit of the OP, though, that "slow metabolism" can be used as an excuse.

There is a ton of research on how our metabolism can change for any given individual, and how environment and other factors can effect. It's no myth, but actually well documented.

Quick Google search for a start:
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=metabolism+rates+vary&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=beobUJyKAu6A2QXQ34HwDw&ved=0CFUQgQMwAA
  • A_Shannigans
    Options
    So we all know people who are skinny but appear to eat all the time, right?

Except...have you ever spent a few days with them eating exactly what they do? Do they really eat as much as you think? And those overweight healthy eaters....again, I have spent some time trying to match exactly what my larger friends eat, and I can't. I can't eat that much.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe the different metabolisms myth. I haven't seen a scrap of actual evidence for it, besides people's own word for what they are eating, which is notoriously unreliable, and I have seen a lot of evidence to refute it. I do think people get full at vastly different caloric intakes, so a thin person might eat until she is stuffed, but actually not have eaten much, whereas a bigger person might feel she is always starving herself and yet can't lose weight. I believe that is where the difference lies, in our biological propensity to feel full or not.

Well start believing it because until age 30 I was living proof of it. I consumed 1600 calories a day in drinks alone. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted. I didn't sit on my butt all day every day but I didn't exercise and wasn't particularly active.

Is it common? Probably not but I've known a few others like me through the years. I imagine next to none are above age 30. At 30 your metabolism starts to slow (at least it does if you're not active).

You can believe its just a myth if you want to but I have 1st hand knowledge to tell me it is not.

Same thing for me. Until I was about 25 I ate all the time, very unhealthy foods, and couldn't gain a pound. Then, age kicked in and I no longer had that issue.

Isn't it somethin? For the 1st half of your life you can't pay to gain weight. Then slowly you start to gain and don't really notice it until it's late enough you have to bust your hiney to reverse it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think the myth is, in general, the belief that leaner individuals are that way because they have a faster metabolism than larger folks due to genetics or somatotypes.

Barring metabolic disorders, obese people tend to have quicker metabolisms than their slimmer counterparts:

See here: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/6/1412.long?related-urls=yes&legid=nutrition;134/6/1412

ETA: very good article by Tom Venuto discussing a "slow" metabolism here: www.burnthefat.com/slow-metabolism-problems.html
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Interesting post.

First of all, hormones can effect expenditure so I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a "myth". But I would also add that people tend to use "metabolism" as a big excuse when either justifying their own inability to lean out OR when looking at another person's physique and pinning it on their "super high metabolism".

I read a post a few days ago where a friend of mine posted her pics and she eats what most people would call "junk food", and a few people immediately chimed in with ridiculous claims of "you must be lucky to have that metabolism" and "lets see you do that when you get older". They completely glossed over the fact that she isn't over-consuming calories. She's creating a deficit like the rest of us should be doing when trying to lean out.

Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is gives a very big contribution to TDEE, and in addition to this, I absolutely agree with the OP that in just about all cases, "you don't know how much that other person really eats".

Typically people who are overweight are over-estimating their deficit or under-estimating their food intake. Hardgainers typically over-estimate their food intake and simply don't eat as much as they think.

All of the above factors play a role in this.

So are different metabolisms a "myth"? Of course not. But it sure is a good excuse.

So true!!!
  • A_Shannigans
    Options
    I think the myth is, in general, the belief that leaner individuals are that way because they have a faster metabolism than larger folks due to genetics or somatotypes.

Barring metabolic disorders, obese people tend to have quicker metabolisms than their slimmer counterparts:

See here: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/6/1412.long?related-urls=yes&legid=nutrition;134/6/1412

ETA: very good article by Tom Venuto discussing a "slow" metabolism here: www.burnthefat.com/slow-metabolism-problems.html

I wonder if he can explain the skinny person who eats more and is not any more active than their not so skinny friend. It happens something causes it. Maybe I don't understand metabolism. My understanding is if you can eat more calories without gaining weight you would have a higher metabolism than the person who eats less and gains more but is just as active.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#metabolism

The fact is, metabolic rate does not vary drastically between matched populations. But I suppose that depends on your definition of drastically. I'd say that it certainly can vary meaningfully... in the tune of 30% differences between the slowest and fastest.

You better believe that someone who's 15% above average is going to have an easier time controlling weight than someone who's 15% below the average.

More interestingly is the concept of spontaneous physical activity or non-exercise activity thermogenesis. Some people are high responders while others are not. What I mean is, some people, when faced with a surplus, will automatically expend more energy through activity to defend against the surplus. This activity can be mostly unconscious, such as fidgeting and such. This can account for 600+ calories worth of expenditure per day.

Think about that for a second.

Chances are, the people you know who can't gain weight no matter what they eat aren't working with super fast resting metabolic rates. Rather, it's more likely dealing with the fact that they have very high SPAs or NEATs in the face of overfeeding.

On the flipside, some people, in the face of a calorie shortage, overcompensate their SPA/NEAT by unconsciously expending substantially less energy via activity, which is likely one of the primary culprits making lasting weight loss so challenging.

Bumping this and bolding the site. To anyone reading this that isn't familiar with Steve Troutman's work, check him out. This guy has a great pile of free articles on his site and you won't find any broscience here. Solid info.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Something I noticed is that when I was younger (slim and never gained a pound no matter what I ate), I fidgeted a lot. I mean, like shifting foot to foot, jiggling foot, tapping feet and hands, unconsiously moving to songs in my head (aka SPA/NEAT, as described by Steve Troutman). However, over the years, I've stopped doing this. I used to think it was due to becoming more centered and calm :laugh: , but I think now that it's metabolically related. And at the same time as my body motion decreased, my weight increased (along with my age).
  • klmh128
    klmh128 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "One of the few studies ever to have scrupulously monitored exercise, food intake and metabolic rates found that volunteers’ basal metabolic rates dropped as they lost weight, even though they exercised every day. As a result, although they were burning up to 500 calories during an exercise session, their total daily caloric burn was lower than it would have been had their metabolism remained unchanged, and they lost less weight than had been expected."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?src=me&ref=general

Metabolism is not a myth, but the exact way it works in combination with diet and exercise is still being researched. I think it really all comes back to what and how much you eat more than fast or slow metabolism. Of course, that statement is barring anyone with a metabolic disorder requiring medication - special circumstances.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I wonder if he can explain the skinny person who eats more and is not any more active than their not so skinny friend.

That was sort of the point in my previous post. You can't say, "he's not any more active than... "

You can say they eat the same number of calories. You can say they have the same sedentary jobs. You can say they follow the same exercise program. But that's not accounting for SPA/NEAT, which as noted, can play massive roles in total energy expenditure.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I wonder if he can explain the skinny person who eats more and is not any more active than their not so skinny friend. It happens something causes it.

Differences in metabolic rates do vary amongst individuals but it is not as great as people believe in many instances - about 3% - 8% were the figures given in the article.

I suspect if you got the skinny and not so skinny individual into a metabolic ward you would probably find the skinny friend ate less and /or had a higher level of physical activity. However, physical activity doesn't only mean planned physical exercise like jogging or going to the gym.

It can also be NEAT / SPA as the posts by Sidesteal reference. Some people just can't keep still for the life of them. What does that do? Burn calories. It's an aggregation of small benefits.

The reason most people put on weight as they get older isn't really about "metabolism" as such or even loss of muscle mass (although that does play a small part.)

It's because people generally become more sedentary and eat more as they get older.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I wonder if he can explain the skinny person who eats more and is not any more active than their not so skinny friend. It happens something causes it.

Differences in metabolic rates do vary amongst individuals but it is not as great as people believe in many instances - about 3% - 8% were the figures given in the article.

I suspect if you got the skinny and not so skinny individual into a metabolic ward you would probably find the skinny friend ate less and /or had a higher level of physical activity. However, physical activity doesn't only mean planned physical exercise like jogging or going to the gym.

It can also be NEAT / SPA as the posts by Sidesteal reference. Some people just can't keep still for the life of them. What does that do? Burn calories. It's an aggregation of small benefits.

The reason most people put on weight as they get older isn't really about "metabolism" as such or even loss of muscle mass (although that does play a small part.)

It's because people generally become more sedentary and eat more as they get older.

Exactly.

And it's worth noting that there are other papers which show wider disparities between metabolic rates across matched populations, but even there you're talking +/- 15%.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I agree that people become much more sedentary when they get older (desk jobs, driving, etc). I don't think it's so much that they eat more. I think it's a lot more that they eat "more than they need". Meaning, they probably eat about the same maybe a little bit more depending on their lifestyle, but people probably don't need to eat as much as they were younger and more, however little, active.

Sitting on your butt and having the same eating habits can pack on weight fast. That's my experience.