Deleting unmotivating MFP friends

Options
Do you delete MFP friends if they are inactive? If so, how long do you give them before you kick them to the curb? Personally, if they have not logged in in 2 months (which I think is very generous), I delete. Even if you are a real life friend of mine. I like when my board lights up with green active users that motivate and inspire me. I've been told that is mean of me (by a real life friend who I deleted). Well, tough. :)

Gina

Replies

• Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I wouldn't bother keeping someone on my list if they weren't even bothing to log in, I've even deleted someone because I couldn't understand for the life of me what they were trying to accomplish on the site due to the crazy fast food and junk diary they had EVERYAY so I figure if you are here to be motivated then keep the friends who help you accomplish that goal :happy:
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do delete people... and I am getting better at it. But, it makes me feel awful!!!! I usually send a message wishing them well and telling them why I deleted them. This makes me feel a little better. And, I have had some good response from this. There have been a couple people where that was a reminder to get back on the wagon and we became friends again. And, there have been a couple of people that were offended by it. I would rather know why I was being deleted than just receive the boot. This is just my personal opinion though.

Anyhow, I will send that "deleting you" message if they have been inactive for a couple of months or never comment. I am on here for the friendship and support. I take a lot of time trying to support all my friends and comment on their stuff. If they can't do the same in return, I would rather spend my time on people who actually have the time to be supportive back. And, yes, I understand that some people are just too busy to comment often, and I get that, but that is not the kind of support I am looking for.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    lolll i dont have that trouble they keep deleting meeeeee
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I will delete people if they have been inactive for 2 months. To me it is a sign you really aren't all that serious. I get sometimes life gets in the way, but 5 mins to just say "hey" really is not too much to ask for. I want people who are supportive and are there to help pick me up when I am down, because I want to do the same for my MFP family!
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    I completely agree. I deleted my husband after 2 weeks of inactivity!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I delete after one month. I think after one month, you've lost interest in being on here...
  • theesfield
    theesfield Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I deleted my husband after 2 weeks of inactivity!

HAHAHA!! Freda! Youcrack me up!
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I delete people... just because I can.... :laugh:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I don't delete people unless they really, really offend me. If they're inactive they might come back. Why would inactivity bother me? I can't see it...
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I delete people all the time. I delete people I dont' talk to, people who are crazy, and people just for fun. YEEEHAWW!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm feeling too overwhelmed with popularity, I delete people for commenting on my statuses.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I don't even need a reason.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I do perform the occasional clean-up.

I make a point to motivate or congratulate (or cheer-on) those who are actively logging their achievements. If I don't receive the same in return, or someone is inactive for more than 15 days (and isn't on vacation) then I say adios amigos!
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just did the same thing as the OP. Although, first I posted a message on my wall stating that it was going to happen but if you're not active then you probably won't see this message. I even deleted on of my good girlfriends. She hadn't been active or supportive since day one. So Bam - delete. Is it mean? Maybe, but I guess I really don't GAF anymore. I am not here to be nice to "friends" who aren't being "friends" themselves. I am looking for supportive, funny, active, inspiring friends on this site for this path in my life!
  • LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I delete people when they are rude, or when I see someone that has unhealthy habits (either starving themselves, or eating a lot of crap then complaining about why they don't lose weight). For the second case I try to talk with them first and give advice, but so far it hasn't worked so... delete.

This path is already hard enough without having people around you making you feel bad or doing things the wrong way.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I like to have that support system, generally if you add me and don't comment after week or so or become inactive for that time (unless they've said they'll be on holiday or whatever) I delete. I comment on all my friends statuses and it's nice if they do it in return. :-)
  • ellaminnowpea11
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm feeling too overwhelmed with popularity, I delete people for commenting on my statuses.

Hahahaha!!!! Yes, it's tough being loved so much.
  • nly1972
    nly1972 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't delete people unless they really, really offend me. If they're inactive they might come back. Why would inactivity bother me? I can't see it...

I have to agree with that. Too much going on in life to go thru my friends list and see who is inactive. If they are, I don't see it and it doesn't bother me.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

eactly what I think. If they aren't logging on, that just means less shows in my news feed. No harm to me either way
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

eactly what I think. If they aren't logging on, that just means less shows in my news feed. No harm to me either way

People have a life (or they try their hardest to have one).. I wont assume an automatic 'they dont care enough to do this'... Its that time of year when people go away on trips, weekend excursions, spend family time together, etc...

I also dont expect them to tell me they are going on vacation, or feel the need to apologize to everyone because they were sick as a dog and chose to sleep instead of signing in to play with MFP for the sake of continuous days-in. The people in my friend's list - when they post an apology for not being here because of that, and the comments come around that get nasty, I pipe right up and say "you dont owe NO ONE a reason for not being here.[/b][/i]

If you are sick as a dog, and you did what was right and got rest, thats the end of it right there - good common sense.... You owe NO ONE an apology. If your friends cant see that here, then kick them off your profile!!!!! You dont owe anyone an explanation because you DONT answer to them!