NSV- C25K

Options

Replies

• ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Hey all, question on the C25K program.

Can you do this on a treadmill or just outside running? I want to try it but with 107 degree temps it is not happening outside!!:mad:

I've heard of a few ppl that do it on a treadmill!
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ok so I love this program. BUT I have horrible asthma and summer is the worst for me. I made it through week 1 last month but the recovery time for me was like death. I want to do it again but I am going to get through 30DS to build myself back up to take that much PUSH with C25K. Hope you are loving it!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Ok so I love this program. BUT I have horrible asthma and summer is the worst for me. I made it through week 1 last month but the recovery time for me was like death. I want to do it again but I am going to get through 30DS to build myself back up to take that much PUSH with C25K. Hope you are loving it!

You're opposite of me- I was doing 30ds - but felt it was too much for me right now- so I am doing c25k. Good luck! :) Jillian is the devil.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey all, question on the C25K program.

Can you do this on a treadmill or just outside running? I want to try it but with 107 degree temps it is not happening outside!!:mad:

There's nothing in the program that says where you have to do it - so if the TM works for you, go for it! :)

As for me, I'm a 2 time C25K Graduate and can't speak highly enough of the program (last completed in 2008). I am planning a 11 mile run tomorrow to prep for next weekend's 1/2 Marathon (my 3rd).

What I'm saying is, keep it up! Don't get discouraged. Remember to take it slow (I still cannot run a 5K in 30 minutes) the ultimate goal is just to cross the finish line!!

Oh and watch out because running is addicting :)
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 run 3 tomorrow eeeek getting harder and harder each week which is expected really i suppose lol!
    But I'm really enjoying it, before i couldn't even run a few steps but now I can do a lot more, it's a great achievement to me being able to run more and more each week!
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I started c25k today! And I was really (happily!) shocked that it didn't kill me. I actually felt really good afterwards, not like dying at all!

I'm sure I'll eat my words in a few weeks, though :ohwell:
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did c25k two summers ago, and it definitely works if you stick with the program. Week one was horrible, but after that the soreness goes away - and YES - I did run a few 5k's that summer! Unfortunately, winter came and I slipped and put a bunch of weight back on. I am thinking about doing it again when it cools down a bit. Good luck! It's a great way to burn lots of calories in a relatively short amount of time!
  • stpattysgirl82
    stpattysgirl82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 2 day 2 and am loving it! I've never been a runner either, but I'm starting to really enjoy it. Since it's only technically 3 days a week, I've just been running the other days. Last night I was able to run 2.1 miles in 26:46, which is a HUGE accomplishment, especially when you are 297 lbs!! I signed up for a Color Me Rad 5K on October 20th so hoping to be down about 20-30 lbs by then and hopefully be able to run the whole thing.

Good luck to you all! C25K is definitely awesome!

Oh, I have also found that I push myself so much more when I'm doing it on a treadmill because I can control how fast I'm going. Doing it outside starting out, I am still a little lazy. I get a much better workout on the treadmill. :) Hope that helps!
  • estherwhetstone
    estherwhetstone Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 1. My kids do it with me, I'm surprised I can keep up with them! I'm planning on signing up for 5k next May. I'm only concentrating on endurance now and speed after I can run a 5K.
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did C25k starting after Christmas - have run a few 5k parkruns since then http://www.parkrun.com Came in 169th this morning as I run slowly around the 50 minutes mark. It's great fun and I'm planning on speeding up as I lose weight :)
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just restarted it this week, and loved it. Completed week 1! Last time I started I injured my knees very badly. I've lost 45 lbs and increased my leg muscle strength and I'm back at it. Yay for running! It feels soo freeing. :)
  • meganrn08
    Options
    I am on W7D1 and having a hard time with this last week. I have really enjoyed the program. I love seeing progress! It has helped with the weight loss too. I'm so glad someone talked me into trying it! Keep up the good work!:happy:
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I hate to run, but..... I did W2 D1 on Thursday. Was planning to do D2 but things got in the way lol! Aiming for the next day or so, but if I don't, I am planning to start over...

Good luck!!
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started it mid June. I repeated some days until I felt I was ready move on so I am curently doing W4D3 for the second time. Next week scares me a little :P I was barely pushing through those 5 minute intervals and wasn't sure how on Earth I was gonna manage 8 lol...but after a repeat I am feeling confident ;) I love feeling myself get stronger and I am super happy when I am able to make it through without stopping early on those longer intervals. I had to learn to slow down and pace myself so I could get through them.

I love the program! I haven't run a lick since Jr high?? lol I was over 300 lbs last summer and after a 70 lb loss I am loving that I can run and that I actually enjoy it!

It is really hot here in Arkansas too so I make myself get up at 5:30 and run before the sun gets all the way up..It's just light enough to see when I head out so that helps with the heat. We have a gym membership but I am afraid to try to run on a treadmill in front of everyone...afraid I might fall on my face :P

I ran in my first 5k right after starting W2 ...I couldn't run the entire route of course but I managed to finish at 46:24 Yay!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Love C25K! I finished it a couple months ago, and have registered for a triathlon in October, plus two 5Ks. I now run 3miles 4X a week. Great program! I used the Ipod app, so a voice prompts you when to start, stop, etc. Love it!

Congrats on completing Week 1!
  • Almiten
    Almiten Posts: 14
    Options
    I just finished W2D1 today and it was hard for me but I pushed through it! My goals for 2013 are to complete 2 5k's, a tough mudder and the Disney Princess Half Marathon. It's been too hot to run outside so I do it on the treadmill and it's been pretty good for me. My shins hurt like hell after week 1 but they're feeling better now. Good luck and congrats
  • kellyslone
    Options
    I finished C25K and ran my first 5K without walking any portion in late July with a time of 31 mins 10 seconds. I missed placing in my age division by 30 seconds :(. As many people have said I was never a runner either but love the program and have became addicted to running. I am currently on week 2 day 3 of a "Bridge 2 10K program" and am running 5 miles a workout. Keep it up and don't try to focus on time and just worry about finishing each segment.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I have started C25K this week. Officially i am about to start w2d1 on Monday (i have done week 1 in three days as i wanted to push myself a bit harder) I have adapted it a bit and am doing it for 35 mins not 20 mins. I know people will frown at me for this but i have been working out for a whie (just not running) so my basic fitness is already there. I have jsut booked my first 5k run for Sept so i had better be able to do it!!
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I finished C25K and ran my first 5K without walking any portion in late July with a time of 31 mins 10 seconds. I missed placing in my age division by 30 seconds :(. As many people have said I was never a runner either but love the program and have became addicted to running. I am currently on week 2 day 3 of a "Bridge 2 10K program" and am running 5 miles a workout. Keep it up and don't try to focus on time and just worry about finishing each segment.
    Thats such an achievement! well done to you!
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I did C25k starting after Christmas - have run a few 5k parkruns since then http://www.parkrun.com Came in 169th this morning as I run slowly around the 50 minutes mark. It's great fun and I'm planning on speeding up as I lose weight :)

I did the Parkrun today as well. It was SOOO HOT. Still managed a PB of 27:03 and was 143rd

It's my second parkrun and I do all my training on a TM.

There was over 200 at my event today. Loads of people were talking about the C25K and how this enabled them to prepare for the event.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!