C25K

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    C25k made me a runner. I had to repeat an early week (I was pretty out of shape) and then a later week, one right before a big jump in running time. When I repeated that week, at the advice of another MFPer, rather than repeating the week as is I added another round. I can't remember which week it was but if it had walk 60/run 8/walk 90 and do that twice I did it three times.

Part of the reason I hadn't run in the past was I was afraid of injury. I had heard so much about running injuries. This time I read up on it and I liked the structure C25k provided. Now I run three times a week, in minimalist shoes. My actual running time is for 35 minutes.
  • kbmiller27
    kbmiller27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    C25K may be the best thing that's happened to me besides my husband and child and awesome job.

I am in week 6, which I have had to repeat because I spent too much time at the lake last month and couldn't squeeze the time in.

My husband says my legs are looking pretty great. Which is saying a lot for me because I've got some pretty crazy thunder thighs.
  • hg5159
    hg5159 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It definitely works!! I was so scared at first because I am NOT a runner. I made it to week 7 and then decided I was just going to try to run a full 5K and I did it. It's an amazing feeling. Such a great program.
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the program! Hey, I'm 45 and started this in May with my husband. I NEVER thought I'd be able to run any kind of distance, and I ran track in high school (I was a sprinter, so distance wasn't my thing). Always was in awe of those people you see running for miles, thinking "How the heck do they do that?" lol

I had to repeat week 6, just finished week 7......now, that being said, I do have to stop at the "you are halfway there" prompt just for about 10 sec. to get a drink of water. I am constantly amazed at how far I am able to go. Still have some work to do, but determined to get there and run a 5k.

Just stick with it, it's totally do-able. The pacing of it is great and you will be amazed at what you can do!! Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • Legion42
    Legion42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got new running shoes yesterday in anticipation of starting this. But, while I was shopping one of my knees was really hurting from the prior day's Zumba. I am wondering if I am kidding myself and I won't be able to this because my knees are so bad.
    I've been having problems with my knees for a few years. I started doing Zumba last autumn and was loving it, until my knees didn't. I rested up and didn't know how I was ever going to get fit, until I discovered c25k. I struggled to run for 60 seconds at the beginning, but on Monday this week (five weeks after I started) I ran for 20 minutes non-stop. :D I ALWAYS wear knee supports when I run (went out once without them and my knees reminded me within a minute!). So far, I've had no problems at all. The trick is to support your knees and take it slowly. Best of luck to anyone thinking of starting c25k - I can thoroughly recommend it and the health benefits it brings.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the C25K schedule?!! I used to run 1-2 hours 4-5x a week before I got pregnant with my son. Needless to say he is now 17 months and I haven't jogged in quiiiitee some time. I really want to get back into it because I was addicted. The music in my ears, the heart racing and sweat drenching feeling I got made me feel soooooooo good lol. But I do tend to get shin splints pretty easily..any suggestions??
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Someone PLEASE tell me where I can find the C25K schedule?!! I used to run 1-2 hours 4-5x a week before I got pregnant with my son. Needless to say he is now 17 months and I haven't jogged in quiiiitee some time. I really want to get back into it because I was addicted. The music in my ears, the heart racing and sweat drenching feeling I got made me feel soooooooo good lol. But I do tend to get shin splints pretty easily..any suggestions??

I believe you can google it- but if you have an android you can download the app :)
  • absolutnonsense
    Options
    I've been doing ease into 5k for the last six weeks(which is pretty similar, I think?), am struggling a little bit at the minute to break the back of my first 20minute run, but considering how hard I found my first six minute run not all that long ago, am confident I'll get through it tomorrow (drafted in the young man for some moral support- by which I mean 'to yell at me
    not to stop')…

I couldn't believe how much easier it got every time, would reccomend to anyone and this is as someone who's not done any kind of exercise in more than 15 years!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As far as the splints: shoes, fit, running style, genetics ...

But I would imagine that if you were running 4-10 hours a week you were not new to any of these suggestions. I never really had issues ... sometimes they would come on, but not too bad (or often) ... the more the weight came off the less I had them too.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i'm on week 4 currently, i'm really proud of myself for getting as far as I am at the moment, I never used to be able to jog at all but now I can do alot more.

I repeated week 2 because I felt i wasn't ready to move on to week 3 and also I messed up the days slightly with different things going on so had to get back on track.

Looking forward to week 5, I've read whats involved and my god it looks hard, but I shall try my hardest to get through it.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I got new running shoes yesterday in anticipation of starting this. But, while I was shopping one of my knees was really hurting from the prior day's Zumba. I am wondering if I am kidding myself and I won't be able to this because my knees are so bad.
    I've been having problems with my knees for a few years. I started doing Zumba last autumn and was loving it, until my knees didn't. I rested up and didn't know how I was ever going to get fit, until I discovered c25k. I struggled to run for 60 seconds at the beginning, but on Monday this week (five weeks after I started) I ran for 20 minutes non-stop. :D I ALWAYS wear knee supports when I run (went out once without them and my knees reminded me within a minute!). So far, I've had no problems at all. The trick is to support your knees and take it slowly. Best of luck to anyone thinking of starting c25k - I can thoroughly recommend it and the health benefits it brings.

Thanks for this post. Are they like an elastic slip on thing?
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Tonight is my dreaded Week 5 Day 3....this is the 20 minute jog! I can't believe I'm there :-) I repeated week 3 twice, and week 4 twice. Wanted to make sure I felt good doing those weeks so that I could stick with it.
  • sarahkraus1982
    sarahkraus1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 7 Run 3 today and I must say I love this program!!
    The thought of running for even 10 minutes used to make me shake my head, but now that I'm doing 25 minute runs I can't believe how far I've come. Next week is 28 and the week after is 30, I can't wait until I finish that first 30 minute run. I would like to run more often during the week, but I don't want to push myself too far too soon.
    Good luck with C25K and happy running!!!
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It really worked for me. Began mid May and graduated last Saturday. Jogged my 1st 5K in 36 min. My 2nd 5K i did 33.5 min and the last one yesterday I did 31 minutes and 50 seconds. Its a great program, just stick to it and you'll amaze yourself!
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I tried to do Week 5 Day 2 today after on and off doing Week 4/Week 5 Day 1 for two weeks.. I also had to run outside this time since I canceled my gym membership (since I go back to school in two weeks and will be able to get free access to the Rec Center on campus)

Either way.. my body was not ready to run outside or for 8 straight minutes. I think I am going to go back to rerun Weeks 3 and 4 outside to recondition myself to run Week 5 and beyond..

The program works if you stick with it.. if you don't... you have to repeat weeks! Don't do what I did and slack
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Starting today! Terrified and excited at the same time:)
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    It really worked for me. Began mid May and graduated last Saturday. Jogged my 1st 5K in 36 min. My 2nd 5K i did 33.5 min and the last one yesterday I did 31 minutes and 50 seconds. Its a great program, just stick to it and you'll amaze yourself!

Fantastic times!! :)
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Thanks everyone- I have been terrified to start running again because I'm so out of shape...Really suprised myself last night. Think i'll stick to the program- but I really want to run more than 3 times a week so going to suck only doing it so few times... I'm used to working out every day now- so I've gotta figure out which program I want to do on the in between days- maybe back to zumba. :)
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- I have been terrified to start running again because I'm so out of shape...Really suprised myself last night. Think i'll stick to the program- but I really want to run more than 3 times a week so going to suck only doing it so few times... I'm used to working out every day now- so I've gotta figure out which program I want to do on the in between days- maybe back to zumba. :)

I know it's hard to think about 3 times a week, but try to stick to the program (let your body rest). I read on the website that it said even if you think you can do more, stick with their recommendations. I would defintely do this, especially just starting out. And good shoes are super important to help avoid injury, like the dreaded shin splints!

I didn't want to do just 3 days either, so I'm doing Jillian Mchaels Body Revoluton also. Trying to get this weight off before we head back to school next week.:wink:
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    I started, did two and a half weeks, went on vacation and never recovered =P Started back on it yesterday though. I love it! But I'm like most other people, I just have to make myself get up to do it. If I don't get out the door by 6:30ish it's too hot here...it usually 80 by then anyway. And I'm not "allowed" to run at night because I'm a girl...lol.

BAH HUMBUG! Running at night is the best- and just carry a stick ;) lol

I'll see if the hubby will go for this. Silly over protective men!