How do you eat healthy on a budget?

Options
2»

Replies

• kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think you should change the way you look at the problem. Instead of saying "What should I buy to eat healthy?" perhaps you should say "What should I not buy to eat healthy?"

You can probably balance your diet by cutting things out. For example, don't buy olive oil (or any oil), butter, dressings, or sauces. Don't buy drinks (just drink water). Don't buy red meat (chicken is cheaper anyways, at least near me). Don't buy bread. Obviously don't buy chips, candy, etc.

Then you can use the money you save on that stuff to buy more of your healthy items.
  • worshipmom
    Options
    My husband would not go for that at all! I have already stopped using butter on my stuff but he has to have it.

I think you should change the way you look at the problem. Instead of saying "What should I buy to eat healthy?" perhaps you should say "What should I not buy to eat healthy?"

You can probably balance your diet by cutting things out. For example, don't buy olive oil (or any oil), butter, dressings, or sauces. Don't buy drinks (just drink water). Don't buy red meat (chicken is cheaper anyways, at least near me). Don't buy bread. Obviously don't buy chips, candy, etc.

Then you can use the money you save on that stuff to buy more of your healthy items.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Butter is a good example of where buying in bulk will help you. I buy large quantities at a good price and then freeze it. That way I only have to buy it once or twice a year. I cook with it but not daily.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with olive oil?
    And sauces (obviously depends on WHICH sauces we're talking about)?
    Bread isn't necessarily bad either, the problem is just most people eat WAY too much bread. A couple times a week it's totally fine to me.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So I spend like 30-40 bucks a week right now on groceries (for just me) obviously you'd have to multiply the amount by 2 or whatever, but I buy:

Breakfast-
    huge thing of quick oats, cinnamon, granulated sugar, thing of strawberries
    bananas

Lunch-
    loaf of bread
    turkey lunch meat
    cheese slices

Dinner-
    Campbells soups (2-3 different ones a week)
    Chicken breasts
    spinach
    whole wheat pasta
    minute rice brown rice
    salad dressing (lite italian)

Snacks:
    tea, cream
    nuts-almonds, pistachios
    eggs-to boil and eat with a pinch of salt
    crackers--wheat thins or triscuits
    carrots, mushrooms, olives
    hummus

And that's about it. It seems like a lot to list it out, but I don't need to buy everything once a week--a lot of stuff will last me 2 weeks. Store brands like walmart or kroger whenever available!
  • 4cstadler
    Options
    Purchasing in bulk when you can will really help. If your area has a meat market, try purchasing 1/4 beef for your freezer. This will save huge on increasing prices. I prefer fresh fruits/veg's instead of frozen. I hit farms that sell produce - pick your own. It is cheaper and you can freeze/can accordingly. Farmers markets are a good way of picking up fresh inexpensively or planting your own garden also helps. Some areas have what is called farmer's market share - where you pay $60/year and get a laundry size basket filled with a variety of fruits and vegs each week. You have to volunteer your time working in the farm or stand as a trade off. I also discovered that if I am making noodles for something, I will mix 50/50 wheat with white, my family eats less because the wheat fills them up more. They don't even notice. This costs less. You can always call your local grocery stores a week ahead and find out what advertisements are coming up. Our local area will share this information so shoppers can get the best deals. Coupon clipping helps also. In the magazine Woman's World they feature 4 receipes per month that you can make for under $5/person. I print and utilize these a lot with my family. You could probably obtain that on-line. With any of these, there is time, energy and work involved but in the long haul you come out ahead quite a bit. I hope this helps - good luck.