I got up the nerve to run at the gym!!!

Options
So, I went to the gym yesterday for the second time. :bigsmile: It gets less scary each time I go (phew!). We went in the afternoon, which was great because there were hardly any other people there. I got up the nerve to experiment with the treadmill a bit, and I actually ran a teeny bit!!! I wanted to start doing the c to 5K plan, because I am pretty out of shape and not very athletic to begin with. However, I forgot to look up the plan before I left, so I just found a routine and settled into it. I walked at 3.5 mph for 5 minutes, and then ran at 5 mph for one mintute. I repeated this pattern 5 times for a total of 30 minutes walking and 6 minutes running. It was enough to be challenging, but not so hard that I struggled through it. But it raised a few questions in my head...

I am surprised that I am not too sore today. I feel like I could go do it again today easy. I am wondering if I should increase the intensity next time by either shortening my walking intervals, or increasing the running intervals. Or should I just do this routine a couple more times and then bump it up?

I checked my HR on the machine a few times throughout the workout. Right after I stopped running, my HR would be about 155-165, and then towards the end of my walking intervals it would be about 135-145. Does this seem like a good range to be in to get a good cardio workout?

And last but not least, how quickly should I progress in increasing my running vs. walking intervals? I would eventually like to be able to run for 30 minutes. Don't know if I'll get there, but I figure it is a good goal to work towards.

Replies

• tipoo
    tipoo Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't put much importance in it, but I thought the cardio "zone" is around 160BPM.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You could shorten your walk times.

This is how I started.

Week 1: Run 1 minute, Walk 2. Repeat 7x. Total run time: 7 minutes
    Week 2: Run 2 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 5x. Total run time: 10 minutes
    Week 3: Run 3 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 4x. Total run time: 12 minutes
    Week 4: Run 5 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 3x. Total run time: 15
    Week 5: Run 6 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 3x. TRT: 18
    Week 6: Run 8 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 2x. TRT: 16
    Week 7: Run 10 minutes, Walk 2, Run 8. TRT: 18
    Week 8: Run 12, Walk 2, Run 8. TRT: 20
    Week 9: Run 15, Walk 1, Run 5. TRT: 20
    Week 10: Run 20 minutes
  • LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't put much importance in it, but I thought the cardio "zone" is around 160BPM.

Thanks! I had no idea, but that makes sense. Because walking wasn't doing much for me ( I walk A LOT at work), but the running got me breathing harder. I will try to keep it up towards that side.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I am surprised that I am not too sore today. I feel like I could go do it again today easy. I am wondering if I should increase the intensity next time by either shortening my walking intervals, or increasing the running intervals. Or should I just do this routine a couple more times and then bump it up?

the recommendation especially for those new to running is to NOT run 2 days in a row. Even though you are not sore, you've just put your tendons and joints through a stress and they need a day to recover. Running too much, or too fast, too soon is a sure way to end up with an injury. Most of the beginning plans recommend 3x a week to start. You do pretty much the same plan all 3 days, then the next week you can up your run time and shorten your walk time (but run the same pace, don't increase speed).

And last but not least, how quickly should I progress in increasing my running vs. walking intervals? I would eventually like to be able to run for 30 minutes. Don't know if I'll get there, but I figure it is a good goal to work towards.

The plan posted by runzalot above looks pretty good. Something like that (or print out C25K or Podrunner's 5 k program) would do you right. You can get to running a solid 30 minutes anywhere from 8-10 weeks provided you escape injuries. One note, if your shins or your arches start to get sore, take a couple days off right away. Don't wait until those pains get debilitating. Early intervention, rest & ice is usually the cure.
    I checked my HR on the machine a few times throughout the workout. Right after I stopped running, my HR would be about 155-165, and then towards the end of my walking intervals it would be about 135-145. Does this seem like a good range to be in to get a good cardio workout?

HR is all based on your age and fitness level. In general the range you're in sounds fine. Run at a pace that you can breath and would be able to talk if you were running with someone.

Have fun with it!
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    You could shorten your walk times.

This is how I started.

Week 1: Run 1 minute, Walk 2. Repeat 7x. Total run time: 7 minutes
    Week 2: Run 2 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 5x. Total run time: 10 minutes
    Week 3: Run 3 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 4x. Total run time: 12 minutes
    Week 4: Run 5 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 3x. Total run time: 15
    Week 5: Run 6 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 3x. TRT: 18
    Week 6: Run 8 minutes, Walk 2. Repeat 2x. TRT: 16
    Week 7: Run 10 minutes, Walk 2, Run 8. TRT: 18
    Week 8: Run 12, Walk 2, Run 8. TRT: 20
    Week 9: Run 15, Walk 1, Run 5. TRT: 20
    Week 10: Run 20 minutes

Were you already in pretty good shape when you started, or did you just dive in? (I am fairly out of shape right now, but not too bad).

Also, once you got to week 10, were you able to increase run time? Or have you always just stayed at 20?

Thanks so much for the schedule! I will see if I can do your week one tomorrow when I go back to gym. It's only one more minute of running, so I think I can do it. Should I just walk extra if I want to get a longer workout? I go with my brother and he bikes for an hour, so I have to fill out the time....
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options

the recommendation especially for those new to running is to NOT run 2 days in a row. Even though you are not sore, you've just put your tendons and joints through a stress and they need a day to recover. Running too much, or too fast, too soon is a sure way to end up with an injury. Most of the beginning plans recommend 3x a week to start. You do pretty much the same plan all 3 days, then the next week you can up your run time and shorten your walk time (but run the same pace, don't increase speed).

The plan posted by runzalot above looks pretty good. Something like that (or print out C25K or Podrunner's 5 k program) would do you right. You can get to running a solid 30 minutes anywhere from 8-10 weeks provided you escape injuries. One note, if your shins or your arches start to get sore, take a couple days off right away. Don't wait until those pains get debilitating. Early intervention, rest & ice is usually the cure.

Have fun with it!

Thanks! I will stick to 3 days a week for now. That is about all I have time for in my schedule anyway. Is it ok to go on walks or bike a little on the off days just to keep things loose?

I will watch for any pains. So far I just feel a little stiff and sore in my hams. And maybe hips a teeny. But I have bad hips :(.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yep, all the biking and walking you want. Swimming is good too if you have access to a pool.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    No pool :(. But good to know I can keep moving. Thanks!