is this a good workout?

Options
I am a 46 year old 300lb lady in full time sedentary work who gave up smoking in March and is currently calorie counting at about 1600 calories a day - I am currently going to the gym 3 days a week and when there I am going on an exercise bike for 35 minutes non stop and cycling 10 kilometers as a minimum, followed by another 10 to 15 minutes of other cardiovascular activity after which I do about 30 minutes of weight training; bicep curls at 18k 4 sets of 10 - triceps the same, abdominal crunches about 50kg 4 sets of 10 and the same for twists followed by 40 sit ups.
My question is this, am I doing enough to achieve a reasonable weight loss of at least a lb a week? or is there some other exercise I should be doing

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A good diet will result in good weight loss, no need to add exercise simply to lose weight.

That said, yes, it sounds like you have a good routine going. Personally, I don't like to do weights after cardio because the cardio uses energy, so I can't give my 100% to the weights. I'd do weights first, or better yet, do weights on their own day.

Assuming your diet is good and you can work out 3 days a week, I'd do 2 days of cardio and 1 day of weights.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What jack said...I'd move the weightlifting to a different day than the cardio....also consider adding more lifts.
    Adding such things as squats or leg presses will work major muscle groups that can burn serious calories during and after. Maybe even add a bench press and flys to work the chest area some....another large muscle group, just not as large as the legs and glutes.
  • lolamosschops
    Options
    Thank you guys - that's real helpful information and I will try and mix it up some