Total Calories or Net Calories?

Options
I'm so confused by this one - I've been counting net calories - which puts me anywhere from 800-1100 calories a day but I'm not losing weight. My total calories are like 1200 - 1500...I'm beginning to think it must be more important to count total calories? Anyone have luck with either variation?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. What is your BMR? Or at least what number did MFP give you? 1200, probrably? You're supposed to NET the goal number. You shouldn't be netting 800-1100 calories. Eat more.
  • lizk710
    lizk710 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my problem too.. Not eating enough. My Net goal is 1200. BMR is 1600. I'm trying to find another 327 calories to eat for the day. I know you aren't suppose to go below 1000 otherwise starvation mode right?
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I relate. I am doing an hour a day on the bike at the gym and was not losing. I have increased my calories to cover my goal adding the extra calories for the exercise. I have been losing one pound a week for three weeks (FINALLY!).

(Specifically: 1200 calorie goal plus I am adding the 250 calories for one hour on the bike, which equals 1450. I am very close to consuming the 1450 instead of keeping under the 1200 calories. This is working!)
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've been doing weight watchers which focuses on fat, protein, and carbs and cares nothing about the calories....After eating my allotted points for the day I'm usually right around 1200 or under....any thoughts on this diet?
  • Julieandpaloma
    Julieandpaloma Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm so afraid to eat more - that I'll keep gaining....LOL So glad it worked for you.....I've got to change something!!!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I've been doing weight watchers which focuses on fat, protein, and carbs and cares nothing about the calories....After eating my allotted points for the day I'm usually right around 1200 or under....any thoughts on this diet?

From what I understand weight watchers focuses on health and you are probably making better food choices than most people. If something works for you and you are healthy, keep at it and don't worry.

I have been under my calorie goal for a few days because I haven't felt good. I've still been just as active because my activity level rarely changes, it's my job. I'm not gonna spend the next few days force feeding myself because I earned something or lost something. I haven't gone into starvation mode.

Food choices are important. Eating 1700 calories from healthy food is a lot better than 1200 from fast food.