Your expected to eat this!

Options
I am usually horizontal during 2 of the 3 traditional meal peroids of the day and i think this has contributed to me reaching my goals...when im not present for a meal there is no expectation that i will eat what ever was prepared....in other words im not pressured to eat what ever crap was prepared...instead i have my own meal peroids which i plan for based on my exercise and the way my body feels (which is a better way of deciding when and what to eat)...Why does society have social eating periods 3 times a day? i understand the human emotional need to socialize but why must it be at a dinner table??? what if instead of socializing at the breakfast table together you instead socialize at the racketball court during that peroid and after that social event at the recketball court you are then responisible to go eat something on your own by your own choosing......Then for lunch at work; instead of everyone piling in a car to go eat burger king together you all went to the volleball court and socialized there at the volleyball court, then after lunch break at the volleyball court is over you are responisible for eating something on your own by your own choosing...same thing for dinner...we could call these exercise peroids exercisefast, exerciseunch, and exercisenner....don't you think this would make for a less over weight society? Why do we have to associate fun and socialization with eating 3 times a day every day? Why can't we associate fun and socialization with exercise 3 times a day every day of the week? Is the system we created and patronize causing/contributing to this fatness epidemic?

Replies

• 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    Options
    You have any more of that stuff you're smoking left?
  • selzam2
    selzam2 Posts: 34
    Options
    I actually think what you're saying is quite sensible and on point! I know that I fear social gatherings because the consensus is that it's okay to go overboard on food - we're all having quality time, yay! My family usually "socializes" around our kitchen counter with plates full of finger foods spanning from end to end. It's awful! Tasty, but awful. Unfortunately it's one of those social norms that will be hard, if not impossible, to break. Personally I try taking walks with friends whenever I can, that way at least a percentage of our indulgences will be worked off in advance..
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you're***
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You have any more of that stuff your smoking left?

^that^
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If society would change to that I think it would be amazing.
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    you're***

That is the only reason why I clicked this post...
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sure, just get the rest of the world on board!! :bigsmile:
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's hard to talk when you're working your butt off. Granted, there would be less butt to work off if we all exercised more often. But, I think I'll just stick to eating at meal times and exercising around them. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Throughout history, feasting is associated with celebration. The problem is not that we associate food with merriment, but rather that our resources have made it possible for us to feast as frequently as we wish. Combine that with our largely sedentary lifestyle and general lack of portion size knowledge and you have a recipe for obesity.
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The scientists should just put all the nutrients we eat into a pill, then we wouldn't have to eat if we didn't feel like it. Like in the Jetsons. No dishes to do either!
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    I get what your saying, but wow. LOL
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    sorry dont do drugs
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Get a load of this guy. Outstanding idea. Good luck
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If everyone goes to play volleyball during work lunch break, then when do they eat? While sitting working at their desk? Or grabbing quick bites of food between tasks? I don't see that as any healthier. No one says that eating a meal socially means you have to eat what everyone else is eating, or as much. I don't want to isolate myself from people just bc I don't think I can have enough discipline to make healthy choices around other people.
    Also, it's been proven that families who sit together for dinner have more communication than those who don't. Most families don't have a schedule that permits everyday exercise together as a family, but everyone needs to eat.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    im not saying its possible to get everyone on board with this idea....but maybe this concept if applied properly by someone who really wants serious results like i have gotten will benifit from just saying "NO" (firmly and respectfully) to social eating events

Results lost 44 lbs in 47 days
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Gee, I'd love to reply with somewhat of an intellectual retort but frankly your statement was too long to read all the way through. Maybe if I gain some time and energy, I will come back later to do so.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    If you want results and want them in a timely manner you will have to take a hard line i many aspects of your life and break down these social contructs which have aided in the weight you have gained in the past....No excuses, just do it.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I wish this too sometimes with my family. All our get togethers revolve around food, and we're mexican so usually its deep fried or filled with lard and carbs. The beauty is that one person can make a change and when I have a family someday I plan on instilling the importance of staying active and eating healthy so when I have get togethers they will be centered around something healthy instead! :) Breaking the cycle.
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that families and close friends would eat together. The main problem is that portion sizes have gotten out of control. It's also a lot easier for people who don't have much free time or have different interests because everyone has to eat, so they might as well eat together.

In moderate defense of the social meal, studies have shown that in families who eat meals together regularly, children typically have higher grades in school and are more comfortable in social situations. That's probably because there aren't many situations anymore when family can just sit and chat... it's hard to have a regular conversation or ask "How was school today?" if you're watching TV or working out.

Bottom line: Maybe you can try switching your meal times to just before meals at home so you're full and are sitting at the table but not hungry enough to reach for anything. That way you don't miss out on the psychological benefits of social eating, but don't have the negative side effects.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Myfitnessval Said "I wish this too sometimes with my family. All our get togethers revolve around food, and we're mexican so usually its deep fried or filled with lard and carbs. The beauty is that one person can make a change and when I have a family someday I plan on instilling the importance of staying active and eating healthy so when I have get togethers they will be centered around something healthy instead! :) Breaking the cycle. "

Good job i agree, have a vegi platter with mustard instead of a cheese platter. Center around something healthy.

Not all social events that have food are bad, for instance a picnic has plenty of healthy exercise like activities to enjoy insteat of hot sausage and double cheeseburgers