Your expected to eat this!

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I wish this too sometimes with my family. All our get togethers revolve around food, and we're mexican so usually its deep fried or filled with lard and carbs. The beauty is that one person can make a change and when I have a family someday I plan on instilling the importance of staying active and eating healthy so when I have get togethers they will be centered around something healthy instead! :) Breaking the cycle.

You can instill those healthy habits and still have gatherings involving food. There's nothing wrong with food. And, as I mentioned earlier, it's sort of an evolutionary thing to have celebrations focused on food. Every culture does it, and cultures have been doing it for thousands of years. Food is kind of a big deal, since, you know, we need it to live.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that families and close friends would eat together. The main problem is that portion sizes have gotten out of control. It's also a lot easier for people who don't have much free time or have different interests because everyone has to eat, so they might as well eat together.

In moderate defense of the social meal, studies have shown that in families who eat meals together regularly, children typically have higher grades in school and are more comfortable in social situations. That's probably because there aren't many situations anymore when family can just sit and chat... it's hard to have a regular conversation or ask "How was school today?" if you're watching TV or working out.

Bottom line: Maybe you can try switching your meal times to just before meals at home so you're full and are sitting at the table but not hungry enough to reach for anything. That way you don't miss out on the psychological benefits of social eating, but don't have the negative side effects.

I agree but spending time with family can and should be done other places than the dinner table
  • haleydself
    Options
    Heck yeah!!! I HATE being invited to dinner with a bunch of people.. It seems they all order the most fattening stuff, and I feel "obligated" to do the same.. especially if they are paying. Healthy stuff on the menu is always so much more expensive then, say, a burger and fries! I would love if more people would want to hang out and play some volley ball, and brink some gatorade or something! lol!!
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I wish this too sometimes with my family. All our get togethers revolve around food, and we're mexican so usually its deep fried or filled with lard and carbs. The beauty is that one person can make a change and when I have a family someday I plan on instilling the importance of staying active and eating healthy so when I have get togethers they will be centered around something healthy instead! :) Breaking the cycle.

You can instill those healthy habits and still have gatherings involving food. There's nothing wrong with food. And, as I mentioned earlier, it's sort of an evolutionary thing to have celebrations focused on food. Every culture does it, and cultures have been doing it for thousands of years. Food is kind of a big deal, since, you know, we need it to live.

Ok celebrate with food, but not 3 times a day every day, dont eat out for 1500 cals 3 times a week, how about celebrate with food when its realy warranted like 5 major holidays a year and 5 birthdays a year, thats less than once a month. We as americans seem to want a celebration of food at every meal or once a day. It's all about moderation.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific meal times and I don't even make my foods into meals. On my best days I portion out my plan and eat it as I get the urge to. On my worst days I just bake/make whatever sounds good and eat eat eat.

Resulting in 1000 or 3500 calories, depending on how I feel.

I can see a similar pattern in people with meals. I feel as though it is the same amount of food, same amount of effort to create it/buy it, so we really aren't gaining any time swapping to the eat on the go method.

I do, however, very much support meetups with activity instead of meetups with food. More movement = healthier bodies.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    you're***

That is the only reason why I clicked this post...
    Ditto
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Heck yeah!!! I HATE being invited to dinner with a bunch of people.. It seems they all order the most fattening stuff, and I feel "obligated" to do the same.. especially if they are paying. Healthy stuff on the menu is always so much more expensive then, say, a burger and fries! I would love if more people would want to hang out and play some volley ball, and brink some gatorade or something! lol!!

Thank you, you understand the social pressure people put on you. I was at an itailians familys barbq last month and i cant tell you how many times i heard various family member ask another if they were gonna get some food already...mean time that person had already eaten, i saw her eat. and it was not just one person doing the asking and it was not just one person being targeted...i ate very sllllooooooooowwwww.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    you're***

MAAAAAAAJOR pet peeve of mine. Seems it may be yours too.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    im not saying its possible to get everyone on board with this idea....but maybe this concept if applied properly by someone who really wants serious results like i have gotten will benifit from just saying "NO" (firmly and respectfully) to social eating events

Results lost 44 lbs in 47 days

If one needs to avoid social situations involving food because it's too difficult to adhere to a healthy eating plan at social events, I understand and respect that. However, I think it's healthier, in the long run, at least for me, to learn to have control even in situations where there may be temptations.

I'm happy for you that you have great results to brag about, just keep in mind there is no one size fits all plan. Your original post took on a tone that felt, to me, like you were badmouthing the idea of family/group meals and celebrations involving food. Lots of healthy, fit people eat meals with their families, go to parties, have lunch with co-workers. People have always made food the center of social activity... but we haven't always been this fat as a population.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mandi pandi said "Gee, I'd love to reply with somewhat of an intellectual retort but frankly your statement was too long to read all the way through. Maybe if I gain some time and energy, I will come back later to do so. "

Mandi, I'm sorry reading what was approx 16 sentances was too much for you to handle....now go play with your coloring book.

I'm sorry you can't spell SENTENCES
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Get a load of this guy. Outstanding idea. Good luck

the idea can be applied to an individual person...u just have to say NO, No to the entire event, or NO to the food they try to cram down your throat. The person who uses this technique would have to be deeply committed to getting results, events with food and people are hard to pass up.

Take the hard line, No excuses, just do it.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    same
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Mandi pandi said "Gee, I'd love to reply with somewhat of an intellectual retort but frankly your statement was too long to read all the way through. Maybe if I gain some time and energy, I will come back later to do so. "

Mandi, I'm sorry reading what was approx 16 sentances was too much for you to handle....now go play with your coloring book.

I'm sorry you can't spell SENTENCES

Sorry my perosonal spelling assistant stepped out but thank you for taking her place and making the corrections on this highly formal form of communication. You made me laugh, thanks.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    If you control the food, and the social situation, you'll be surprised to see what people are willing to try.

I have had a number of people over for low fat, balanced meals at my house, no complaints and everyone was surprised to realize it was healthy.

I have had people confess that they were really happy about it because they are also trying to eat healthy... once I said that was what I was doing, it made it easier for them to talk about it.

I eat lunch and exercise on my lunch breaks with my work friends. It can be done.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Who said you 'have' to eat 3 meals a day at specific times? I don't eat 3 meals, I eat all day long. Whenever I want.

If you don't want to eat 3 meals, don't. You do what works for you. I will do what works for me.

Like using punctuation. And spell check.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    you're***

Yes! Ditto! Although it doesn't irritate me as much as the zillions of people on this site who say they need to "loose" weight.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    If you control the food, and the social situation, you'll be surprised to see what people are willing to try.

I have had a number of people over for low fat, balanced meals at my house, no complaints and everyone was surprised to realize it was healthy.

I have had people confess that they were really happy about it because they are also trying to eat healthy... once I said that was what I was doing, it made it easier for them to talk about it.

I eat lunch and exercise on my lunch breaks with my work friends. It can be done.

She is proof it's possible to execute my idea in her immediate enviroment
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I really agree that society revolves around food WAY too much. A lot of people need to find a way to enjoy activities without food. Eating shouldn't be the only way to have fun and be social. For example, why do most people feel the need for popcorn at the movies? Isn't the movie enough entertainment by itself? Why does there have to be food at every gathering of friends? Isn't the company of friends good enough by itself? It's a little annoying sometimes, but you just have to stand up for yourself and say no when it's necessary.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Who said you 'have' to eat 3 meals a day at specific times? I don't eat 3 meals, I eat all day long. Whenever I want.

If you don't want to eat 3 meals, don't. You do what works for you. I will do what works for me.

Yes, thank you, i snack all day as well and dont record food as meals. The weight you have lost is amazing, keep up the all day snacking.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I really agree that society revolves around food WAY too much. A lot of people need to find a way to enjoy activities without food. Eating shouldn't be the only way to have fun and be social. For example, why do most people feel the need for popcorn at the movies? Isn't the movie enough entertainment by itself? Why does there have to be food at every gathering of friends? Isn't the company of friends good enough by itself? It's a little annoying sometimes, but you just have to stand up for yourself and say no when it's necessary.

Spot on! I expect good things for you!