Personal Trainers?

Does anyone have any experience with personal trainers? I kind of want to get into weight lifting, but I'm not very strong, and think a personal trainer could help me get on the right track...

Replies

• Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    I got one because I was at a complete loss at what and how to do strength training. Although quite pricy, I am glad that I did it, because he opened my eyes to practically a whole different world. Plus kept me from hurting myself by doing things incorrectly.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    While I haven't personally hired a personal trainer (I started lifting weights with a friend who was an experienced lifter returning to the gym after a year off) you will likely get some use out of them.

A good trainer will not only teach you proper lifting techniques to ensure maximum gains while reducing chance of injury, but they can also help to tailor a program to your specific needs and will be your spotter. Best of all though, they can be really handy when it comes to motivation and getting you into gear, especially when starting out.
  • chatter27
    chatter27 Posts: 121
    I belong to a gym where I can see the trainer to set me up with a schedule. I saw him for the first time last month and based on my physical history he gave me a routine to do on my own for a month and told me to make an appointment to review everything with him in a month. I did just that and he increased my reps and changed a couple workouts around. I will do this routine for a month and return back to him.

I like that better because when I am working out I like keeping to myself a lot, but I also like the fact he slowly started me out and then increased everything this month.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    My trainer is the greatest investment I have ever made. I was an athlete all through highschool and college and I am way more fit now than I ever was then. Also.. I've lost 63 lbs, Over 1/4 of my original body weight, 8 pants sizes, and 24% body fat. I would recommend a trainer to anyone.. and I do, often.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Plus.. you get encouragement, motivation, fantastic conversations, and a kick in the butt if you need it- which i do often. Mike, my trainer, is like a brother.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    I am a former certified personal fitness trainer. If you can afford one then my suggestion is hire a good one. From a reputable school. I received my certificate from ISSA. One of the highest ranked in the field. There are some certificates out there that are too easy to earn. Also some states don't require a certification, such as IL where I am from. Anyone can assume the title. If you can't afford a good one. I no longer do it for a living since I am a full time minister. I would be happy to help you with the basic knowledge of how to start and how to progress. If you like, add me as a friend and send me a direct message and I will reply. I don't do too well commenting on posts but I will answer all DMs. Anyone else who would like to add me please feel free. I have 20+ yrs of study and experience. I was trained by some of the best in the industry. I don't know it all, but I do know a bit. And I am always ready and willing to learn more.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    While I haven't personally hired a personal trainer (I started lifting weights with a friend who was an experienced lifter returning to the gym after a year off) you will likely get some use out of them.

A good trainer will not only teach you proper lifting techniques to ensure maximum gains while reducing chance of injury, but they can also help to tailor a program to your specific needs and will be your spotter. Best of all though, they can be really handy when it comes to motivation and getting you into gear, especially when starting out.

you sure you weren't a PT in another life?
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    I got a personal trainer 6 weeks ago and I feel that it has made a big change in my success. Mine does both cardio and strength in each hour session. This is what I wanted because I am looking to not only gain strength , but also loose a significant amount of weight. She works me so many mins with reps/weights, then goes straight into cardio for 10-15 mins, then goes back into lifting, repeat. I also use a Polar FT7 HRM for my sessions so that I can see how many cals I burn. I called my local technical college that teaches a Fitness degree, and asked if they take on practice people for their fitness trainers. They did. I went to several training sessions at many different locations depending on where they did their internship at. All was FREE to me. Tried several diff trainers in training, found one I liked and hired her a week later after she got her certification. She is amazing to work with.
    Good luck to you and your journey. Remember , you only get out of it what you put into it . =)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member

you sure you weren't a PT in another life?

Pretty sure I wasn't, however can never be 100% positive!
  • jabrende
    jabrende Posts: 25 Member
    My trainer is the greatest investment I have ever made. I was an athlete all through highschool and college and I am way more fit now than I ever was then. Also.. I've lost 63 lbs, Over 1/4 of my original body weight, 8 pants sizes, and 24% body fat. I would recommend a trainer to anyone.. and I do, often.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Plus.. you get encouragement, motivation, fantastic conversations, and a kick in the butt if you need it- which i do often. Mike, my trainer, is like a brother.

Ya, I think it'd really help in the motivation department... along with doing the right workouts correctly
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I love mine. I'd recommend a good Personal Trainer to anyone starting out to check form, especially if you want to lift heavy. I get a Personal best every time I lift with my trainer.
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    I'd definitely take your time to browse through trainers to see which you mesh best with, as well as to see which is good for your budget. Trainers can be pretty expensive. However, most will work with you.

Often times, trainers will have a "test" session, just to get a preview of what working with them would be like. Be wary of gyms that are eager to throw you at just any trainer. Since you are spending your time and money, it's important you find someone that will not only motivate and push you, but someone you can connect with as well.

I got incredibly lucky and didn't have to search for long. He is teaching me so much about proper form, technique, and doesn't mind that I am a beginner just learning the ropes.

Good luck!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member

this is so true. I had a personal trainer for a year and a half. Actually I had two of them, because when I started I started from zero. I knew nothing. And they have helped me so much!! I finally weened myself off of them, but one of my friends who is a new trainer is giving me some free advice now. :) ((I like hearing from him because he's also lost over 100lbs so he knows where I've been - I loved my other trainers too, even though they had never been big)). I recently got my mom to sign up for a few sessions with a trainer at her gym because she has had previous physical injuries and has back problems, etc - The lady she's training with has expertise in working with post physical therapy 'patients' and I want my mom to learn proper form and technique so she can get a good workout in without hurting herself. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I've had three different PT's over the course of a year and half.... and the one I have currently is the best out of all of them.

My current one writes up my programs and trains me like he trains himself. The rep ranges, the exercises, is all stuff he does.
    Since I'm a girl that makes me happy because a lot of trainers try to stick women on machines or make them do really light weights instead of free weights.

He also has 3 or 4 certifications and has been in the business for 5 years. So I trust that he knows what he's doing and he wasn't trained by some fly by night operation.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    If strength training is your goal, go to the NSCA website and find a trainer who is a CSCS. The CSCS certification requires a degree, and most everyone I know with that cert has a degree in kinesiology, exercise science, etc. Definitely not a certification that a person just buys over the internet.
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    I have to attribute all of my success this time around to my trainer and MFP. I see my trainer twice a week and he has been fantastic, really supportive and encouraging while he's kicking my butt. Yesterday he had me doing some TRX exercises, omg how can something so simple be SO hard. But I digress, I think a trainer would really help you achieve your goals. It is expensive, but we'll worth it. Just make sure to find a good one, don't hesitate to "interview" them, you want to make sure you find someone you click with and will really help you. There's one woman at my gym who just leans against the wall and tells her clients what to do. I've never seen her demonstrate an exercise or pickup a piece of equipment. Good luck in your search.