I'm a Tomboy.?.....

Options
Melroxsox
Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
For my career I own a Spa/Salon and have to be fairly girly all day, work with women all day, and basically be prissy all day.(which don't get me wrong, I am still a woman, so I do enjoy these things) But for the most part my favorite things to do are as follows: Hiking in the dunes, cross country skiing, dirtbike, snowmobile, quad(manual only), hunting, sledding and snowball fights(yes, Im a grown woman that loves to play in the snow...lol), Swimming laps in choppy wavy waters of Lake Michigan, camping(the rough it in a tent version), farming(i grew up on a farm and still help out at my parents)oh yeah and this one no one even believes when they meet me..I like to work on cars...haven't had the time to in about 3 years...I miss it.
I feel like when people find out what I do for a living they assume all I like to do is hair and nails and pampering myself and others(which is not a bad thing, mind you) It's just weird because I really think I am the opposite of that.....So where are all my tomboy gals at? anyone feel the same?

Replies

• Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Tomboy, but now I'm a fully grown lesbian! Don't know if that helps or not, but I am definitely NOT a girly girl

Find it hard to have conversations with my female colleagues at work because all they talk about is men, hair, nails, shoes, bags, shopping - none of which I am into!

So I guess I understand where you're coming from. I'm not big on much sport, but I'd rather talk about fishing with the boys than hearing the girls talking about their "next spa visit with gorgeous Luke!"
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Tomboy, but now I'm a fully grown lesbian! Don't know if that helps or not, but I am definitely NOT a girly girl

Find it hard to have conversations with my female colleagues at work because all they talk about is men, hair, nails, shoes, bags, shopping - none of which I am into!

So I guess I understand where you're coming from. I'm not big on much sport, but I'd rather talk about fishing with the boys than hearing the girls talking about their "next spa visit with gorgeous Luke!"
    Lol exactly! In life I have more male friends than female, just because they are easier to get along with and less vindictive and vengeful for whatever reason....not to say that being friends with women is impossible, just easier for me to relate with men I suppose.
  • Pengi81
    Options
    I think I have an equal balance of male and female friends, but tend to have more in common with the men and my lezzie friends, for obvious reasons, lol

I love my bestest friend ever to bit, she is a girly girl, but when we actually meet up for a catch-up we talk about random us stuff and have lots of in jokes anyway - if anybody could overhear us we'd prob be wheeled off to the funny farm - but that's the way we are and what makes us best mates.

And yes, male friends are definitely not as two-faced or *****y as female ones!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'm a tomboy.... Work and play like a man... But I'm a straight female, and recently celebrated Boobie Friday by showing my boobs on my avatar pic here on MFP. Haaah. Yes a tree climber, tractor driver, weed puller, dig in the dirt and throw the dirt clod at you.. kinda chick. I like sports. Not neccessarily football. I like baseball & hockey. I play with frogs, like to fish.. Like to camp (never go camping anymore, I camp at work now). I always seem deterimined to be better than the dudes at work. Like in my mind, anything they can do, I could do better. On a constant quest for equality, and want all the same rights as boys. I don't think thats asking too much. And sure, why not be as strong as some guys are. :drinker: Get this... I've had my cosmetology license since right out of high school in the 80's Whoo Hooh.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Do you think a good proportion of 'tomboys' are closeted lesbians or 'will be one day' lesbians?

I'm curious.

Not in 'that' way.
  • Pengi81
    Options
    Possibly, only time will tell I guess

I know of at least two girls who are tomboys and I suspect are actually in the closet, but maybe they'll prove me wrong, or one day they will eventually come out.

I left the closet at 19 and glad I did :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Have never been into 'girly' things EEEwww! Yuck! have always done the back packing, cross country skiing , rock climbing, canoeing those things just seem more interesting and useful than getting my nails painted. : ). i don't watch any TV sports. I just can't get interested. I have no competitive gene or something. I also don't watch Soaps or reality shows. That's worse. I've just always been more interested in what used to be 'guy' things.