Options
2»

Replies

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Milk gives me gas.
    Almond milk does not.

I use it to replace milk in my smoothies and occasionally when I eat cereal.

This.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is non dairy. That's a big reason why I use it. Plus unsweetened vanilla is only 35 calories and 1 carb. Since I do low carb, it's awesome for me.
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    The biggest difference is that cow's milk has casein which has been found to increase the chance of several forms of cancer. Almond milk is lower in calories and has the same amount of calcium. Almonds are higher in total fats but they are unsaturated which is good in the regulation of the HDL/LDL ratio. I have been drinking almond milk for a long time. It tastes much better than soy milk and for me...I don't need the isoflavones....pseudoestogens.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I actually love soy milk and almond milk.
    I use almond milk because I find ...

1. It's cheaper since the store near me always has it on sale
    2. Not as strong of a flavor then soy milk, so it's more unnoticeable.
    3. 35 calories a cup, so it's good in my shakes.

I think if I had both in my fridge and I was going to have an actual glass of it - I'd reach for the soy milk.
    If I was going to put it in a shake or in cereal - almond milk (because it tastes fantastic in cereal!)
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I find skimmed milk has about as much taste as water. It seems pointless to me, so I use either semi-skimmed or almond, depending on whether it's for coffee (semi) or porridge/baking (almond).
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Higher calcium is a great bonus, isn't that why people drink milk in the first place? You don't really need protein in milk since it's easy enough to get that from food if you're eating a properly balanced diet.

My personal reason for choosing almond milk? Dairy milk tastes disgusting and causes phlegm.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a staple in my house.. I use it in shakes, cereal, oatmeal, any recipe that uses milk.. I like cow's milk but almond milk has way less calories.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    :huh: don't hate on almond milk...
    I'm lactose intolerant. I either have almond milk or lactose free milk. They all taste like plain old milk to me :drinker:
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I drink both. Almond milk is lower in calories and the calcium is more easily absorbed. Our doctor told me to cut back on cows milk as it is acidic, and my body was taking out calcium from my bones to neutralize that: thus leaving me with less calcium than before! Which I found ironic, but I have checked other studies that agree, so yes, I only have cow milk in my morning tea, cos for that, Almond milk just does not cut it for me!

^ this. I've also read that dairy milk leeches calcium from your bones, and being a woman, and knowing about osteoporosis...I choose almond or soymilk.

Also, I have issues with lactose intolerance and I'm trying to get away from making that worse.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk for baking and cooking. It's not my favorite for drinking, I prefer soy milk on my cereal or in my coffee, but I also use almond milk just for variety of nutrients.

I don't drink cow's milk because I don't want to support unnecessary cruelty. Cow's milk is for calves. I think it is unspeakably cruel to impregnate a cow, only to take her baby away so that humans can have the milk. It's so wrong on so many levels.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk since I'm working on eating a lower carb/sugar lifestyle. I use it mostly with chocolate protein powder for shakes, or on nutty cereals like Grape Nuts.

I also noticed more stomach/gall bladder issues in the last couple years, and it seemed to be linked to dairy milk. I still drink dairy, but now it's a "splurge" and I only have about half a glass.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is just better for you. I've never consumed dairy milk as a beverage, on cereal, in oatmeal or smoothies. I find the idea of it absolutely disgusting.

To those who mention SOY MILK: Soy milk is evil, toxic and loaded with Phytoestrogens
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Allergies to dairy? since almond is not dairy its a safe option......not to mention it tastes better.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    To those who mention SOY MILK: Soy milk is evil, toxic and loaded with Phytoestrogens

Evil and toxic? Wow...it's just a food. And one that has been safely consumed in China for thousands of years.

Phytoestrogens are not the same as the estrogen hormone in the human body.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hate the salty, watery almond milk with a passion! It's low in calories, but it just isn't right. My favourite is Provamel, which is probably as close as you can get to homemade - it's really smooth, creamy and sweet. I drink it (and hazelnut milk) just because I like the taste better than soy milk. I'm vegan, so dairy milk is out of the question.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was having lactose intolerance problems with cow milk so my nutritionist suggested almond milk. I only use milk in my cereal. The Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk has 45 calories and, 8 grams of protein and 20% calcium.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I havent tried almond milk yet. I'm curious about it though, same with hazelnut milk. I just cant imagine it tasting that good, but i guess to find out i need to bite the bullet and buy some.

Personally i love coconut milk. I get the Silk vanilla one-soooo good.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is for cows.